Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
It does beggar belief but unfortunately its just another sign of this litigious society we live in. Had they gone down without the correct training and damaged the victim extracting her then she or her family may well have got some ambulance chasing lawyer to sue the ass out of the fire brigade.

It's simply a sign of the times and as long as these ridiculous damages cases are allowed to succeed then it will only get worse.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Easy for me to say, and not wishing to point the fingers at the firefighting team, but if her safety was at risk, surely one would just say "f#ck the memo" and get her up, no?

The only issue, of course, is whether the risk to her life was evident to the team whilst they were down there. If it wasn't I guess it is a case of "if we had known then what we know now..."

Still ridiculous that a service created to protect the public should not be allowed to use all it's training and materials to do so! In this case, the memo was probably to avoid law suits based on an injury resulting from being carried using ropes...:(

Definitely, H&S gone loopy....

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
the place i work has, like the rest of the country gone health and safety mad. we were told some years ago we were going "paperless" using the internet more and more, we now do more paperwork than ever clearance certs, risk assessments, permits for this that and the other, certificates to scratch your bum etc.
a comment was passed recently due to all the paperwork we now carry and more to come, perhaps all the spare parts carried in our vans should be removed so that we can do absolutely nothing safetly by filling out all the correct forms.:D:D

i do think sometimes situation like the one reported need investigating by the common sense police.

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
quote from another forum

That said, it's ironic that a solicitor lost her life because people followed health and safety rules to the letter to avoid being sued.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I am not allowed to put water in the bus radiator because of health and safety.
The Health and Safety Executive make up these rules while sitting in a nice warm padded cell, if one of them was in a similar position I expect they would soon change the rules.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Thing is, we blame them, but really the route cause is our increasing "quick-buck", claim-culture where no-one takes responsibility for themselves, nor their actions.

A hard line to draw, of course, because there are certain responsibilities others need to take whilst people are in their employ, or on their premises, but when you reach the stage of coffee cups warning of a hot beverage, or a pack of peanuts warning of nuts, you know it's gone too fat and the world is governed by the lowest common denominator....

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
As a Mountain rescue Team Leader Volunteer I have had to deal with several Health and safety issues from not only the Fire brigade Police special search teams and ambulances. They have called my team when the rescue or body recovery has been deemed to dangerous for them to approach or recover.
Dont blame the officers they are only looking after their own lives and families.
These organisations have branched out in to Rescue work in difficult conditions, the Skills the operators have been taught come from very Good courses on how to asses the mission and what to do make that mission work. I have helped to teach Fire brigade trainers in Rope rescue and they are very good its the system which they have to ad dear to.

Mountain Rescuers are taught the same usually by the same instructors, But one thing differs Mountain Rescue personnel do this for fun and we do this sort of stuff in our free time and have more understanding of rope rescue techniques , and are able to work out side the Health and Safety box.

A good example of this H&S bull. In the last snows we had a request from the Ambulance Authority for 4x4's as part of their contingency plans, one team supplied a government supplied Landrover, the Paramedic slipped whilst out on a call and injured him self, the ambulance authority told him he can not claim because he was not in a Ambulance authority ambulance and would have to claim of the driver of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
A good example of this H&S bull. In the last snows we had a request from the Ambulance Authority for 4x4's as part of their contingency plans, one team supplied a government supplied Landrover, the Paramedic slipped whilst out on a call and injured him self, the ambulance authority told him he can not claim because he was not in a Ambulance authority ambulance and would have to claim of the driver of the vehicle.
It's hard to tell what is more ridiculous: that they could not claim based on the vehicle they travelled in, despite being on duty, or that there should be grounds for a claim in the first place...:confused:

It's winter, it's snowy: you can slip, so watch your step!!!
There, I said it! Will I be convicted of blashemy against H&S?

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
It's hard to tell what is more ridiculous: that they could not claim based on the vehicle they travelled in, despite being on duty, or that there should be grounds for a claim in the first place...:confused:
This whole claim culture boils my piss ( (c) winxpmaster) We had a claim against us a few years ago where one of the track marshals went into the workshops and started pissing around with an angle grinder. He decided to re-enact some bloody act he had seen on telly where the switched on and rotating grinder was spun round his head in the the same way a 70's entertainer would swing a microphone. The inevitable happened and the grinder ended up taking a chunk out of his leg

He then engaged some no win no fee ambulance chasers who preceded a claim saying he wasn't given instructions to stay out the workshops and not to piss around with the power tools.

Our insurance company paid out (a grand and a half I think) as they didn't want to risk court regardless how ridiculous the whole thing is. Unfortunately "common sense" and the law do not make good bedfellows.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
He decided to re-enact some bloody act he had seen on telly where the switched on and rotating grinder was spun round his head in the the same way a 70's entertainer would swing a microphone. The inevitable happened and the grinder ended up taking a chunk out of his leg

It seems to, quite literally, pay to be stupid!!!:rolleyes:

Note to self: Plan for early retirement by testing urine-proofness of log-splitters at local hard-ware store...That should net a couple of mill

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
when the health and safety laws were first brought in they were aimed at heavy industry and high risk industry. the problem in my view is that the claim culture has fu*ked everything up, the greedy arseholes who cannot take responsibility for their own actions, the courts and insurance companies are also to blame along with the goverment who keep bringing in stupid laws. also the amount of idiot Health and safety "professionals" who dream up memos and problems to justify their own exsistance. the common sense approach is going out of the window because of law and arse covering that companies have to do. If you could see some of the claims that people put in, you would cry........

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
along with the goverment who keep bringing in stupid laws.
Ahh, but what better way to be perceived as being proactive and progessive, than passing laws that sound good yet do surprisingly little... nothing like knee-jerk legislation...

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's winter, it's snowy: you can slip, so watch your step!!!
There, I said it! Will I be convicted of blashemy against H&S?
Oh my GAWD!!!!

Next thing you'll be saying it's normal for kids to fight in the playground - that that's not bullying, and it's natural for little Johnny to fall over the step and graze his knee :confused:

It's people like you that have this world going down the drain!!!!!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
4 people in the last few months have gone down with Food poisoning. The H&S policy at work is.

Be more careful of what and where you eat.
All of them ate in the works canteen.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Oh my GAWD!!!!

Next thing you'll be saying it's normal for kids to fight in the playground - that that's not bullying, and it's natural for little Johnny to fall over the step and graze his knee :confused:

It's people like you that have this world going down the drain!!!!!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

I know, it is a of a radical point of view: I am actively seeking couselling to be readjusted...

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
when, oh when is some judge or politicien going to have the balls to say "this has got to stop"

somebody has just died as a direct result of idiotic H&S overlegislation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts