Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have see a few heatshield bodges on here for after market exhaust bit they seem a bit convoluted and by the time you have bought the bits to bodge it you may as well pay for the over priced shield available elsewhere

Anyone got any ideas on a quick low budget fix as I have just melted my trousers on the exhaust

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bodge complete foc. Small jubilee clip into the slot on the old shield and then fed that into the clip I had clamping the pipe to the collector box happy days

·
Registered
53 Posts
Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?

Two hose clamps, two countersunk M6 machine screws, two nuts, four washers, and two dome nuts - all stainless steel - and one heat shield (mine is aluminium, about 3mm thick. Drill one hole in the smooth part of each hose clamp, then assemble them on the exhaust pipe like this (the screw part of the clamp is accessible from below for final positioning of the heat shield):
AT_Heat Shield 1.jpg

Here are the two clamps in place:
AT_Heat Shield 2.jpg

Then fit the heat shield with washers and dome nuts:
AT_Heat Shield 3.jpg

I might drill some holes in my heat shield, to make it look more like the sump guard...

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice work, but you will probably get a hot heat shield like mine as the bolts will transfer the heat from the exhaust to the shield, not enough to melt the trousers but still pretty hot

·
Registered
53 Posts
You're right. I've just checked my riding pants and there is a small shiny spot - not a hole - which may have been caused by a hot dome nut.

I thought that the aluminium would conduct the heat away fast enough to prevent this, but never checked.

Time for the new, improved, Mk.2 model with insulation under the screw head! An off-cut of exhaust-wrap bandage would probably do the trick... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts