Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon. My first post here.
Just acquired a scruffy 2002 Transalp 650. However, all seems reasonably sound with history etc.
However, clutch seems very heavy, even with new cable. Before I dismantle, any thoughts please?
Perhaps just bunged up with crud from the past 36,000 miles?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi...As long as it's not slipping or dragging and it ain't the cable your ok ! maybe on it's 2nd clutch and someone has fitted heavy duty springs..I WOULD... Honda XL650V XL650 Transalp 2000-2007 Set EBC Heavy Duty Clutch Plates & Springs....ebay and as you describe...I have a set in the waiting pile and expect exactly what you have

·
xrv750x Pilot
585 Posts
Make Sure the Clutch Cable Run is Correct and No Sharp Bends or Kinks in it , Its so Easy to Fit incorrect and then find the Clutch Very heavy . Did you fit the Cable or Previous owner ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks your responses. I'll double check the cable routing and was also wondering if someone has fitted heavier springs. I might also look at lever with adjustable fulcrum as on another bike this made a big difference. Also, clutch lever free play stated as 10-20mm; that's massive!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks your responses. I'll double check the cable routing and was also wondering if someone has fitted heavier springs. I might also look at lever with adjustable fulcrum as on another bike this made a big difference. Also, clutch lever free play stated as 10-20mm; that's massive!

10mm to 20mm at the lever end is spot on always found it good on mine, be a good idea to pump some oil down the cable with a cable oiler also check the outer where the inner comes out at the clutch end that it is set at the best angle I set mine by watching the inner slide in and out as I work the bar lever, its a typical place where the inner will rub on the outer and fray.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. There's also quite a lot of free play on the clutch actuating spindle, before the light spiral spring is under any tension. Anyway, I'll investigate this all more methodically at the weekend. Thank s

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick update. New clutch cable, properly routed and all sorted. I was just fearing the worst on a new purchase.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Afternoon. My first post here.
Just acquired a scruffy 2002 Transalp 650. However, all seems reasonably sound with history etc.
However, clutch seems very heavy, even with new cable. Before I dismantle, any thoughts please?
Perhaps just bunged up with crud from the past 36,000 miles?
What’s the routing like on the new cable? It needs long smooth bends wherever possible, no kinks or tight bends.

My 600 clutch is a two finger job, I’m tempted to cut the lever down to make it easier to operate while gripping the bar with the other two fingers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts