Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking off getting some alu panniers been looking at the company heavy duties they seem very cheap for very good looking boxes any one had any dealings with them ?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yep used Heavy Duties several times, great kit at very good prices, Alex is a great guy, don't worry if you don't get a immediate reply as he likes riding as much as making things!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have one of those their racks and the quality is excellent, even not considering the price.

I strongly considered the boxes but decided to go for a full welded set instead that were also available with custom dimensions.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I have one set of Heavy Duties crash bars, racks and panniers on my RD03, and another similar set on my RD07a. Both bikes similarly equipped. Not only they are much cheaper than any competition, but I think they are of better quality, especially the panniers.

Lee

·
Registered
102 Posts
Massive Lee - can you elaborate? I'm intrigued after much pondering on this topic.

My main area of concern with the Heavy Duties boxes was the interface between the sides and the bottom corner, which is simply riveted. As this is the first bit to hit the floor in a crash, I wanted it welded here.

I ended up going for these boxes made by Arvi in Estonia, also in part due to his ability to do custom dimensions and add a cut-out for the exhaust (albeit at extra cost):
https://nrteam.eu/en/

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
this is how I look at it alloy panniers look the biz very few would argue with that I think they are stronger than side loaders like Givi more durable than colour coded ones . the only disadvantage I can see is it takes longer to mount and dismount them and if like me you only have a 37 inch side gate hard panniers need to come off to get back in I am kinda snookered a friend has a pair of touratec zega's and he has the same problem . another thing if you want to take you dolly bird away for a weekend the givi type can be easily clicked off and bought into a b&b or hotel room or tent even if its bucketing it down and you need to retrieve items . but you cant mount stuff on top of side loaders . just some things to consider one more thing a big bike with wide panniers mounted will fill up your shed both my bikes have givi panniers if I had them mounted on both in the shed I wouldn't be able to get into the shed ? just some thing's to consider for the pannier less who are thinking of getting some . I am only new to having any kind of hard panniers at all in the greater scheme of things only got my first top box 6 years ago and having a 3 piece set is smashing even for picking the young lad up from school the bag of books in the top box really affects the handling though in stop and go traffic . then there is filtering to consider in that case a monster top box and tank harness and bag are the way to go and even for touring solo add a big dry bag on the seat too it keeps the bike narrow . and that is what I think about panniers oh yeah second hand givi and kappa side loaders are a more affordable way into pannier ownership than zega's :happy6: .

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Massive Lee - can you elaborate?

On what exactly do you want me to elaborate?

Also, be aware that panniers are not meant to be indestructible and resist a nuclear wear. To a point, they consumables.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Massive Lee - can you elaborate?
On what exactly do you want me to elaborate?

Also, be aware that panniers are not meant to be indestructible and resist a nuclear wear. To a point, they consumables.
I was intrigued by your opinion that the Heavy Duties panniers are better quality than the competition (which competition?) and why?

But your comment that you consider that disposable shows that we view these things quite differently - I expect mine to outlive the bike.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I suggest you pay a visit to somebody who has a set of Heavy Duty panniers and inspect them by yourself.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts