Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says --

I'm working on a contract near Inveraray on the road to a wind farm and these giant juggernauts creep up a forest track once a day :confused:
Let me tell you, they are not far from the edge, probably about 3miles into the hill :eek:

The daily trundle of windmill parts to the work area. The " wee " lorry in front pulls them up if they are struggling :D:D

The long hardclimb to the top :D

The autobhan at the other side of the dam is the one wot I built :D

Do you like my site hack ??? :thumbup::thumbup:

Great for off road, but a bit " jangly " after the 3hr trip home on the main road :D Good craic none the less:thumb:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
All part of the great windmill swindle! One of my customers is completely against the windmills, always interesting for a chat while servicing his boiler!
Bob’s wind farm battle bus takes to the road - Northern Scot

A LWB Landie, shouldn't be too harsh on the road mate, the SWB is far worse! (90 as opposed to the 110). You must have a run in my 88" some time, it makes a Massey Ferguson tractor seem luxury!

I'm away again this week, back to Benbecula and Uist. The list is long so probably a few more trips to the islands this yr!

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
Should of seen the track i took Burrich up in Portugal, they were building a wind farm up there.
Makes that look flat ;)
Fully loaded with panniers tents job lot :D:D

First gear only coming down the other side in the mud :rolleyes:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Cool shots, its orfully nice of the forestry commission to put more access roads in to the mountains. :D
Every mountain range in South and West Wales has Planning permission to build a wind farm. I dont mind them but they only work on for peak flow electricity ( world cup finals and East enders ) because of the unreliability of the wind, and If the wind is to slow they shut down if the wind is to strong they shut down.
I recon with in 10 years in Wales if we get a strong South Westerly wind the Uk will start rotating clock wise.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should of seen the track i took Burrich up in Portugal, they were building a wind farm up there.
Makes that look flat ;)
Fully loaded with panniers tents job lot :D:D

First gear only coming down the other side in the mud :rolleyes:
Young man,

That was the tame bit ---

That boulder in front of the pic is the edge of the road :eek:
And this is only about 1/3 of the way up. The top was covered in cloud yesterday and these monsters crawing up the hill --- nutters :D

Jim, the land roaaaavvver is a massive machine off road but all my fillings are now rattling loose :D:D
Went up to an intake line about 10mls into the hill, decided to " take a short cut" across some newly felled woodland. Taking my time,diff on, crawler and b""""r me did I not go and hit a large stump on my offside front with the hill lowest on my nearside. Tell you,thought she was going over :eek:
Just managed to get the gas on in time and got away with it -- certainly a broon trooser moment :D
Good craic all the same :thumbup:

Going up again on Monday for another recce ;)
As an aside, there is a forest track in the area which the forestry encourage the public to use for vehicular transport. Nice little road - gonna find out more :thumbup:

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
Young man,

That was the tame bit ---

That boulder in front of the pic is the edge of the road :eek:
And this is only about 1/3 of the way up. The top was covered in cloud yesterday and these monsters crawing up the hill --- nutters :D

Jim, the land roaaaavvver is a massive machine off road but all my fillings are now rattling loose :D:D
Went up to an intake line about 10mls into the hill, decided to " take a short cut" across some newly felled woodland. Taking my time,diff on, crawler and b""""r me did I not go and hit a large stump on my offside front with the hill lowest on my nearside. Tell you,thought she was going over :eek:
Just managed to get the gas on in time and got away with it -- certainly a broon trooser moment :D
Good craic all the same :thumbup:

Going up again on Monday for another recce ;)
As an aside, there is a forest track in the area which the forestry encourage the public to use for vehicular transport. Nice little road - gonna find out more :thumbup:

That is a cracking picture John :thumbright:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Keep us posted :thumbup:

It must be a differnent place when the heavens open :toothy2:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
nice... :p

just need to put the monster pylons in so we can get the power to those that need it...:D

recce trip needed some time :blob:

·
Registered
89 Posts
is that in the hills above sherra dam or at auchindrain? there is a forest road from auchindrain to loch awe that is open to the public

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Watch those tree stumps on cleared ground, especially on the drivers side! The diffs slide up on to them and hey presto, you're stuck! Only a winch or a tow will clear you! Been there done that!

Been a great week weatherwise over west, I've got the sunburn to prove it!

Any tracks the commission can give the public access to would be a great boon to the tourism in the area, when the Corriearrack was still open to vehicles I met quite a few Land rovers and bikes going over the hill from Laggan to Fort Augustus, it was a great attraction to adventurers. Trips could be organised with a bit of offroad tracks to cover, this would attract every adventure bike in Europe! Surprising some of the big estates haven't looked into this, oh, I forgot, they've too much money already! LOL!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts