Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone help?
I just bought some panniers and rack from ebay, can't seem to get the rack to fit. The front of the top of the rack lines up as does the two holes on the rear of the pegs bracket but do i have to cut out some of the plastic that is the top of the mudgaurd and have they changed the shape of the brackets? mine is an 05 bike and the rack came off an 06 bike. the only one part that won't line up is the one at the rearmost under the top rack.it seems to be [ shaped rather than l shaped and therefore wont sit flat between the rubber and frame like the one atthe front.
PLEASE CAN SOMEONE STOP ME GOING CRAZY!! stripped the rear of the bike off ie indicators rear light top rack and under gaurd what else do I do and how do i remount the indicators?????:(? :scratch: :angryfire::blob6::banghead: :crybaby:
does anybody have a copy of the original fitting instructions mine did'nt come with any................a lot to ask I know but I hope someone takes pity and puts me out of my misery.

G

·
I feel you pain BT.

Unfortunately you'll have to wait for somone with knowledge of the newer model TAs since mine in limited to the older PD06 model and ATs.

I would, however, be very helpful for anyone offering advice if you'd include photos of your problem or a complete description of your year and model bike and the make of panniers and racks you're trying to fit.

I'm certain someone in the asylum here has the knowledge you seek.

·
74 Posts
I've got an 06 bike and I know it's exactly the same as the '05. Sadly I don't use Honda panniers (I use H&B). The genuine Honda railing system looks similar. Bolt the 2 side assemblies up (loose) & fiddle around with the cross brace piece. I should imagine it sits under the rear rack & probably needs longer bolts. Look around the web for pictures, you never know. You won't need to cut any bodywork thats for sure.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
cheers ray, herses some further info,mine is an 05 registered bike,the rack came off an 06 reg'd bike,the front bolt hole lines up but the rears don't
the hole to the right in the pic line up but can't seem to make the two on the left line up or fit under the rubber bush like the front one.the two holes line up on the foot peg bracket.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a genuine honda rack as well and genuine honda panniers

G

·
I had exactly the same problems
and ended up cutting the rear mudguard to fit
it then looked to be to high and the exhaust looked to exit in line with the frame
I suspect that the brackets and fitting kit was missing a spacer or two and that you may need to just drill a hole in the mudguard

If anybody has got a standard fitted honda pannier kit can you please post some close up shots of the mounting points

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THEIR ON!!
GOT A SET OF LOVELY HAND DRAWN INSTRUCTIONS AND THE RIGHT SIZE BOLTS FROM A FELLER IN NORTHUMBERLAND,REPLACED THE NUTS AND BOLTS WITH NEW BUT GOT THE RIGHT SIZES FROM HIS. ANYWAY NOW ITS DONE SEEMS REALLY SIMPLE,i WAS MAKING A MOUNTAIN OUT OF A MOLEHILL(AIN'T IT ALWAYS THE WAY?) ANY WAY IF YOU DON'T FIT EM AS YOU WOULD EXPECT THEM TO FIT IT ALL FITS INTO PLACE,IE THE RACK MOUNTS UNDER THE FRAME BY EXTENDING ALL THE EXHISTING BOLTS THAT SCREW INTO CAPTIVE THREADS IN THE FRAME AND THEN ADD LOCKING NUTS AND WASHERS FROM THE UNDERNEATH. TRICKY ,THING WAS I DID'NT HAVE THE INDICATOR BRACKET WITH MY SET NOW I'VE BOUGHT A SECOND SET OFF THIS CHAP AND THE BRACKET AND SELF DRAWN INSTRUCTIONS MADE IT ALL FALL INTO PLACE. TOTAL FITTING TIME 1 1/2 IN ALL,INCLUDING MOVING THE WIRING FOR THE INDICATORS.
NOW I'VE GOT THIS SECOND PANNIER FRAME IF ANYONE NEEDS ONE THEY CAN HAVE IT FOR WHAT I PAID FOR IT ALTHOUGH IT DOESN'T HAVE THE INDICATOR RACK BUT I THINK IT WOULD EASILY BE COPIED OR ANOTHER TYPE MADE UP,I'LL ALSO SUPPLY A FULL NEW SET OF THE CORRECT SIZE BOLTS,WASHERS AND LOCKING NUTS................AND A COPY OF THE INSTRUCTIONS!;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
TRICKY ,THING WAS I DID'NT HAVE THE INDICATOR BRACKET WITH MY SET NOW I'VE BOUGHT A SECOND SET OFF THIS CHAP AND THE BRACKET AND SELF DRAWN INSTRUCTIONS MADE IT ALL FALL INTO PLACE. TOTAL FITTING TIME 1 1/2 IN ALL,INCLUDING MOVING THE WIRING FOR THE INDICATORS.
NOW I'VE GOT THIS SECOND PANNIER FRAME IF ANYONE NEEDS ONE THEY CAN HAVE IT FOR WHAT I PAID FOR IT ALTHOUGH IT DOESN'T HAVE THE INDICATOR RACK BUT I THINK IT WOULD EASILY BE COPIED OR ANOTHER TYPE MADE UP,I'LL ALSO SUPPLY A FULL NEW SET OF THE CORRECT SIZE BOLTS,WASHERS AND LOCKING NUTS................AND A COPY OF THE INSTRUCTIONS!;)
So.....if I'm interested in these, are they going to fit my 06 TA ? or am I not going to be able to fit them without sourcing further componants ?
If further componants are needed, has "this Chap" got some more ?

&

will they only carry Honda panniers or can they carry Givi / Kappa boxes

&

what is the asking ? I seem to recall them going to ( or at) about £130 + p & p ?? :neutral:

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I aim to get some clearer instructions drawn up phil,and maybe take some pics etc soon as poss.
As for the second rack I got it for £132 +the old posting and packaging, sorry if i was bidding against you mate,was bidding on a few items and got beaten on the old panniers but won the rack. I've used the indicator bracket but I've got some very handy engineers at work who glue bolt and fabricate brackets to keep the old BT fleet running and a new one is not far off.
anyone is welcome to pm me if they're interested in the rack,I've already procured all new bolts and locking nuts for it.
As for whether givi panniers will fit I'm not sure,the guy in the honda dealers says that givi make them for honda but I'm unsure as to whether they are the same fittings but the racks I have are identical to each other and one came off an 06 bike and was fitted by dealer from new.

·
'06 Transalp
413 Posts
So!!! That's why my BT line rental is so high!! They're having to buy in extra metal, nuts and bolts just to replace the stuff YOU'VE stolen....errr , I mean,... err... borrowed! to fabricate some brackets for YOUR bike! Well I never.....!!!.... tut, tut......

.... while you've got access to the BT metalogy department, could you knock me up a complete pannier rack for my 600 Transalp??!! wink, wink, nudge, nudge... say no more!

cheers
Rob
:thumbleft:

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
where do you think i get all the nuts and bolts from................:laughing6: we might not be the cheapest and they might all be selling broadband now but we own the exchanges so there, its all just pyramid selling.........ha ha ha
besides i used to be an ntl engineer and all i got to show for that was the 50 miles of coaxial cable up in the shed............hang on a minute whats scrap copper at the mo'...................i'm orf down the scrappy,i'll be able to afford that touratec stuff afterall...........:p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts