• Hein Gericke

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie needing some advice re: clothing. I've just bought a 600 Transalp and am looking for some all weather touring/commuting kit. I'd like something that represents value for money so I don't mind spending a bit more if i'm getting something that is more durable/versatile etc. I've read lots of reviews and narrowed it down to the 2 below but I'm still open to other options. So which would you go for and why?

Richa Bonneville,
Richa Bonneville Textile Jacket - Black - FREE UK DELIVERY

or

Hein Gericke Tourer
Hein Gericke Tourer/Touring SHELTEX® Suit Jacket, grey-black

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi, I have, over the years, wasted more money on bike clothing than I care to recall, though the best waterproofs I had were Rukka Jacket & Trousers which fitted over my leathers, & cost me £120 back in 1989! These lasted so many years, they stopped making them! :(
Since then I have had all manner of textile gear, Brands of which I won't mention other than to say they were a waste of money.
This time last year I 'bit the bullet' so to speak, & bought a set of Rukka textile armoured waterproof bike gear from Infinity in Southampton. I understand that they cost so much to prevent some from even looking at them, but I wish I had spent the money some years ago, then I wouldn't have wasted so much money on other brands which turned out to be useless!
They do a finance package if that helps.
Rukka gear is the best I've ever used, current kit is comfortable with built-in D3O armour & is waterproof & repairable: if any panel is ever damaged, it can be replaced!
Tim

Reactions: Coppice

·
Registered
969 Posts
Dont bother with waxed cotton for foul weather gear.
it looks good in the summer and in the bar.
Useless in heavy rain.
I wore Belstaff throughout the 80's and tried it again in the late 90's.
Modern textile gear was a revelation.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My tuppence worth would be to recommend getting hold of some preloved aerostich gear from ebay preferrably in europe so as not to get stung with the usa import charges. I have bought lots of gear over the years but dont use anything but the aerostich stuff now. Its not the most stylish or best looking but just does a great job.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Hi, I have, over the years, wasted more money on bike clothing than I care to recall, though the best waterproofs I had were Rukka Jacket & Trousers which fitted over my leathers, & cost me £120 back in 1989! These lasted so many years, they stopped making them! :(
Since then I have had all manner of textile gear, Brands of which I won't mention other than to say they were a waste of money.
This time last year I 'bit the bullet' so to speak, & bought a set of Rukka textile armoured waterproof bike gear from Infinity in Southampton. I understand that they cost so much to prevent some from even looking at them, but I wish I had spent the money some years ago, then I wouldn't have wasted so much money on other brands which turned out to be useless!
They do a finance package if that helps.
Rukka gear is the best I've ever used, current kit is comfortable with built-in D3O armour & is waterproof & repairable: if any panel is ever damaged, it can be replaced!
Tim
This post reflects my history. I finally took the plunge about four years ago and bought Rukka. No more packing waterproof over suits or kit soaked through the to the inner waterproof layer.a

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I personally don't rate Richa gear for water proofness I have a richa textile jacket for about 12 years it has held together pretty well although the Velcro gave up a few years ago so was cut out and new Velcro sewn in . it looks great and is warm enough apart from the lower sleeves there isn't enough lining in them and I bought it a tad small to fit enough layers for the cold depts. of winter however the benefit of this is it acts like a corset and pulls my middle age spread in a good bit but is still comfortable :toothy10: I bought Richa rain warrior over trousers they leaked at the crotch from day one ok over leather trousers as they only get damp on the out side but not good over denim jeans especially if you need to be among the public non bikes will think you are incontanant . :lol: how ever in their defence they have lasted about 3 years not commuting only leisure riding but have seen a lot of use they are pretty easy to get on even over motocross boots the Velcro fastening tabs at the end are great . I was lucky enough to pick up a lewis textile jacket off a mate for 15 euro its like brand new it stunk of lavender cleaning stuff but a few days out on the line sorted that out its very comfortable and plenty of room for layers . the neck is a little snug to fit a heavy fleece neck tube something to consider when buying a jacket . I haven't tried it for waterproof yet . I bought a Weise over jacket and that is a very smart bit of kit very easy and quick on get on over a damp textile jacket even and zips up real easy . from what I gather after reading plenty on this subject if you want complete waterproof you have to spend a lot on gear or else pick up a 2 piece Weise over suit off E bay they are very reasonably priced I won my jacket for £12 it was bought but never even used . bike magazine gave them their best buy rating a few years ago . I would avoid anything with bright colours like royal blue or red in them as they will start to look scruffy way quicker than black clobber . stear clear of one piece wet suits as they are a nightmare to put on or anything with zippers on the leg ends zips suck .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Adventure Bike Rider has a test of sub £200 jackets his month.
Oxford did very well, and so did the Richa Sahara.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Jackets with a pu coating aren't very modern or breathable. That's fine sat on a bike if its cool and you can seal the seams with a sealer if they leak with age or poor construction.

I doubt you need better than that on a bike.

I do like separate water proofs, good if you wear leathers, but if you are into textiles, might as well be waterproof

1 - 8 of 8 Posts