Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on the news 20 mins ago, what a traggic accident. Appears an Augusta 109 hit a roof crane. Nothing confirmed yet appears low level fog / mist are the cause and question over whether the Nav lights were on, on the roof of the crane t know if the pilot saw it.
Feel sorry for the pilot and his family.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Yep saw this.
Doesn't look too good does it :(
Crashed onto a construction site as well as the main road.

Also saw a black bike dropped onto the road near the scene, no one from here affected I hope.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
bike appears to be an old K BMW from what i could see. Hope there was a light on that crane if there wasn't or it wasn't working i hope they get sued to high heaven for endangering life just to make all the other construction firms take note.

I feel for the pilot and family

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Vauxhall Heli crash

mayhem around here at the moment. From video footage it looks as though at least one bike was down on the tarmac (looks like an old BMW). Hope the rider(s) and XRV's Londoners are all ok.....

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
yes it is an old BMW not sure if the bike was abandoned or the rider involved as a casualty.......hope not. Thoughts to pilot, family and any other possible casualty not yet confirmed. I believe there was also another nasty accident (two if reports are correct) involving cyclists in the same area. One of them was dragged under a bus for 200mt till the driver realized what had happened.....

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I'm amazed there has been so little loss of life,it would have been crazy with traffic at 8.00pm.Covent garden market, just yards away would have been teeming with people too.

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Construction site on a tower block on the Nine Elms Road, just down from New Covent Garden.

What the fek was the chopper doing there, that site has been ongoing for nearly 2 years, can only think he thought he was above the Thames.

Sad

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
Construction site on a tower block on the Nine Elms Road, just down from New Covent Garden.

What the fek was the chopper doing there, that site has been ongoing for nearly 2 years, can only think he thought he was above the Thames.

Sad
Hope there was a light on that crane if there wasn't or it wasn't working i hope they get sued to high heaven for endangering life just to make all the other construction firms take note.

stupid statement of the day!

Jason - take time to think before you post, When tower cranes are erected, you have to go through so many authorities and there are alot of requirements - you cant just stick them up as and when you feel like it, If you erect a crane in London of a certain height.you have to complete a Notam (Notice to Airmen)... it's then known that the crane is there! Also helicopters are not allowed within 500m of buildings, so it appears that the helicopter was too low/ too close to the building.I feel sorry for all affected.

the tower crane driver was late into work, and I bet he's bloody relieved.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I think anyone that would have been in that area or normally in that area is relieved other than the unfortunate bystanders who have been hurt.

Even the police chopper was apparently grounded this morning because of visibility, the fog was bad and the helicopter in question had been diverted to Battersea Heliport, likely because of the weather. He would have been on his approach hence closer to the buildings and strayed off course in the poor visibility. Very sad.

Thoughts go out to anyone affected and although it's bad, given the location and the amount of people in the area at that time of the morning it could have been a great deal worse

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I'm guessing it was heading to, or leaving Battersea heliport. Usual route for helicopters is along the river; the idea being if the engine fails, they can ditch into water. The crane it hit was on top of a building on the banks of the Thames near Vauxhall bridge, so it wasn't far off of it's correct flight route.

As well as the crane driver, I would have been riding along that road on my way into the West end of London, so thank God I didn't have any work today.

:(

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
There you go Bob, lady luck was shining on you today.
Still a bit of a shocker though

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
There you go Bob, lady luck was shining on you today.
Still a bit of a shocker though

I wouldn't have thought that comments from someone with a screen name like yours would be appropriate in this thread, young man!!! ;-)

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
I wouldn't have thought that comments from someone with a screen name like yours would be appropriate in this thread, young man!!! ;-)

Ooooooh ouch

I think you'll find that my username is relevant to the copious amounts of whisky of a certain brand that I consume ;)

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Unbelievable ! Being interviewed right now on SKY news is a good friend of mine, Michael. He and his flatmate were the two guys that the helicopter fell on, they just managed to scramble clear without injury. He's a courier controller I've known for ten years. He's in a complete state of shock, and I can see he's completely unsettled (he wouldn't mind me saying) he's not a tough guy. Poor lad. I'll speak to him tomorrow, he'll be full of it I bet.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Nick, Thankfully, lady luck was shining on him today.

Looks like two confirmed deaths; the pilot, and a member of public in the street. There is also somebody critical in hospital, along with the other that were injured.

A sad day, and my thoughts are with all those affected.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Nick, Thankfully, lady luck was shining on him today.

Looks like two confirmed deaths; the pilot, and a member of public in the street. There is also somebody critical in hospital, along with the other that were injured.

A sad day, and my thoughts are with all those affected.

His flatmate took a tumble trying to scramble clear,but I think they are both fine, just hyper shocked. His interview with Kay Burly has been re-shown on SKY all afternoon

** I think he'd prefer to think of it as "Mr luck" shining on him ? ;);)

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
stupid statement of the day!

Jason - take time to think before you post, When tower cranes are erected, you have to go through so many authorities and there are alot of requirements - you cant just stick them up as and when you feel like it, If you erect a crane in London of a certain height.you have to complete a Notam (Notice to Airmen)... it's then known that the crane is there! Also helicopters are not allowed within 500m of buildings, so it appears that the helicopter was too low/ too close to the building.I feel sorry for all affected.

the tower crane driver was late into work, and I bet he's bloody relieved.
All of what you've stated was on the news at around 0730 this morning so i was aware of that. It also stated that due to bad weather the pilot had already requested an alternative route, or did you not know that??

Maybe he was low for a reason, maybe he was on the new flight path, maybe he was moving onto a new flight path when it happened we don't know. So if he was on an alternative flight path which was not the normal route then surely all cranes should have lights on them when putting them in place incase this sort of thing was to happen.

So i don't beleive it was a stupid post

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts