Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!,

Because I visited this site for lots of information, I'd like to introduce myself.
I'm Erik from The Netherlands. Few months ago I bought a Africa twin rd-04 from '91. I'm loving it. Although right now it's a lot of work fixing lots of small problems (Breaks, cables, fuel pump, bodywork...).

Hope to speak to you more often,

Erik

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Pictures of your bike will help.

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Welcome Erick, there's a massive resource of information here and for the bits that aren't documented there's some very knowledgeable members that I'm sure will have the answers :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Hi Erik,
Welcome aboard, you haave chosen the right place for help advice and for the craic too!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for a warm welcome!
I'll shoot some pictures of the bike at put it on the site.

This weekend I'll be replacing my brakes (disks and pads). So here I have a first question:
I ordered the original brake disks at 'David silver spares'. I discovered that the front brake disks are only 4mm thick. From the manual I understand that it should be at least 4,5 mm.
At 'David silver spares' they told me the disks are indeed original, but they didn't have the right information about the thickness :confused:. Does anybody have the answer to this?

Thanks,
Erik

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
The back brake disc is different from the front (thicker and with a larger service limit).

From the haines manual:

Rear Disc Thickness:
Standard: 5mm
Service Limit: 4mm

Front Disc Thickness:
Standard: 4.5mm
Service Limit: 3.5mm

The haines manual seems to back up 4.5, but I've just looked in the honda service manual for the 1990 RDO4, and it says front disc thickness 4.0 (with service limit 3.5), and 5.0 standard (4.0 service limit) for the back.

Maybe haines has it wrong (though I'd be surprised if my discs started out as 4.0 as they've been on there since I got the bike and weren't new then and were still close to 4 when I measured them - so I'd have expected them to have worn down more than that by now).

Hello and welcome to the site btw :)

P.S. Just edited this post to correct it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts