Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. my name is martyn, i live in hertforshire. i have a 2004 honda XL650 Transalp. i have had it approx. 2 months.

please can someone help me?!

ever since i bought the bike from norton way honda in letchworth. there has been an intermittent vibration throughout the bike, and it is driving me berserk! :cry:

the vibration is such a kind that you feel when holding a Hammer drill. i can feel it through the foot pegs, the seat AND the handlebars.
I have even carried pillion passengers and they have complained about how bad it its on the back.

my son has ridden the bike and he describes it as holding a playstation controller thats constantly shaking.

i have taken the bike back to the dealer no less than 3 times, and every time they have told me they could not find a fault with it.

please please please can someone shed some light on this? Am i the only person, or is that just the way the bike is?

thanks for any help or advice you may have.

martyn

P.S. sorry for the speech!

D

·
0 Posts
Martyn,
Sounds bad. Is the vibration accompanied with anyother symptoms? Have you checked the chain tension. Is it road speed or engine speed related. How many miles has the bike done.

I live at Ampthill if you want to come over I would be happy to take a look.

PM me if you would likw to arrange a meeting.

Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi.

the bike has the recommended tyres for the bike and engine mounts were checked and greased.

The vibration is related to engine speed, 4000 revs is where it stars and sometimes it can carry on up the rev range, other times it stops at 5000.

the bike has only done 8500 miles since 2004. chain & sprokets were the 1st thing i did, i hope it mite solve it.
Nope.

i would love to meet up with other transalp owners, as mine is the only 1 i have EVER seen in my area.

[/code]

D

·
0 Posts
If it is intermittent I guess something is wrong, The can be some extra vibration in the rev range you give but it is mild and more of a buzz, some bikes are worse than others. do you have any loss of power I am thinking it is intermittently running on one cylinder.

It is difficult to gauge what level of vibration you are experiencing. what other bikes have you ridden

Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there isnt any power lost, i dont think im losing a whole cylinder, but i do beleive one of the two spark plugs per cylinder isnt firing properly every time.

it only seems to do it when it feels like it. but im pretty sure water is catalyst. its worst when its wet.

i have ridden a cg125, a gpz500s, a cb500, a cbf600, and a lot of dirt bikes, but none of them vibrate any where near as much as my transalp.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hi Martyn
sorry to hear you're having hassle with your TA. Intermittant faults are an absolute bugger to sort out. Does it happen when the engine is warm or is that not a factor? Any particular gear? Is the chain adjusted properly????? There needs to be far more play than with a non trailie... check the wheels are running smoothlyand there's no obvious fault with the tyres. By the way, why did the garage grease the engine mounts? Sounds to me like something is loose and is vibrating in harmony at certain revs? Water shouldn't be a problem - TAs generally don't suffer from problems like that, and if one pot doesn't fire you'd loose power and get a surge when it cuts in again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Martyn
sorry to hear you're having hassle with your TA. Intermittant faults are an absolute bugger to sort out. Does it happen when the engine is warm or is that not a factor? Any particular gear? Is the chain adjusted properly????? There needs to be far more play than with a non trailie... check the wheels are running smoothlyand there's no obvious fault with the tyres. By the way, why did the garage grease the engine mounts? Sounds to me like something is loose and is vibrating in harmony at certain revs? Water shouldn't be a problem - TAs generally don't suffer from problems like that, and if one pot doesn't fire you'd loose power and get a surge when it cuts in again.
whether its cold or warm doesnt seem to make any difference, it does it in any gear but is worst in 5th at 55/60 mph (4000 revs).

my chain is set at 45mm slack, but i have tried it with more slack but it didnt make any difference.

the engine mounts were greased when i took it to the dealer to try and sort the problem.

the reason i think water may be a factor is the last time i took it to the dealer it came out sweet as a nut, but as soon as i had washed it and oiled the chain it was worse than ever. and it seems to be worst in the wet.

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
Hi Martyn, sorry to hear of your problems, this surely isn't normal!

If you bought the bike from a dealer, couldn't you take it back and demand a refund as they couldn't find the problem???

Sorry I cannot be of any more help.....

Phil

D

·
0 Posts
If you think it is water related, it could be an HT lead braking down, there are a couple of things you can do with the tank on. fist check the plug caps are screwed on tight to the leads on the plugs you can see. Take the cap off the plug and turn in a clock wise direction until tight.
Try running the engine in the dark and spray the HT leads with water and check for shorts, some times you can hear them. If you don't find any thing you may have to get the tank off and check the other plugs and coils. and then spray it with water but for this you will need to set up a fuel supply.
use a old kitchen cleaner type spray bottle but don't run the engine in a closed space.

Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
as far as technical stuff goes, i have already replaced the HT leads. and checked the resistances of the coils, nothing out of the ordinary.

i have taken the cap off of each spark plug, and tested the spark for each one. On 1 plug in particular the spark is erratic sometimes, but other times it will be a crisp clean spark.

i tested the HT lead and the coil with a multimeter and it didnt show anything unusual. which is why im so stumped.

the only other thing i could think of is if the CDI unit is faulty.

i have also been using my haynes manual for reference, but hasnt been much help.

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
Didn't someone have a similar problem which was fixed by undoing the engine mounts, letting it settle overnight and then re-torqueing ?

Hello everyone by the way.

·
Lost Lost Lost
558 Posts
Hi

Check if bar weights in the handlebars are stil present. I removed mine when I fitted new brushguards and this resulted in a massive increase in vibs @ 4000rpm in any gear. I know you said you can feel it in the pegs too but this is the only suggestion I have. My bike also has an uncomfortable vibe @ 4000rpm but never really thougt anything of it. Some days it is worse than others. If anyone near you can have a go on the bike to compare or vice versa should confirm this vibe as unusual or not.
:?

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
Is there crashbars on the bike? If so they could also be a cause of vibration.

·
Registered
160 Posts
hummmm. This may not be true and you may have a real problem, but .... I've just bought a Transalp and was back to the dealer to complain about vibration. After my initial shock I have come to the conclusion that that is the way the bike is. It is a twin. It also has knobbly tyres. It's no good discussing it here because true Transalp riders don't notice it. In fact they like it and think it is normal and swear blind there is no vibration. I was lucky because I used to ride a NTV600 (twin), but if your bigger bikes were 4's then there is no comparison. You need to ride another to compare and then get someone else to ride yours and compare. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no theres no crashbars on the bike.
there where no bar ends on the bike when i got it, i didn't even know there were supposed to be bar ends on it.

my other bikes have only been single or twins, my transalp is my 1st V twin bike.

i would love to meet someone else that has a transalp.

please, if anybody does have a transalp and would like to meet, send me a private message.

·
Lost Lost Lost
558 Posts
martyn said:
there where no bar ends on the bike when i got it, i didn't even know there were supposed to be bar ends on it.
Not bar ends..... There are two pieces of metal weights fitted inside the handlebars. You will need to remove the grips to check for these.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello everybody,

Thank you all so much for all of your suggestions regarding my bike's vibration.

But after meeting with Faantjie, and talking to a couple of other people, i think it would be best to say that i was just paranoid and is all down to the bikes natural harmony.

Knowing this i can now sleep better knowing that there isn't anything wrong with my bike.

Saying this, i still hope other transalp owners local to hertfordshire (or relatively local) would like to meet up with me, as other than Faantjie's bike, i have still yet to see another transalp on the road.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions and advice.

hope to meet you all soon.

martyn

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
fish said:
hummmm. This may not be true and you may have a real problem, but ....
Definate problem, the TA engine is a very smooth unit put together with a 'soft' chassis and low tyre pressures (29 compared to 40's of road bikes). You shouldn't be feeling vibes.

Just to compare, I could ride the TA non stop (1100 miles in 24 hrs) with no ill effects, I could ride the brand new Bandit 1200 for 30 minutes before hands went numb.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts