Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello the group!

I knew Domis when they had 2 cylinders and clip-ons

Just bought a 2001 FX-650 Vigor, 9700 miles so I don't regard the ashtray as full yet.
Havn't seen it in daylight yet - its my funcommuter

Micro-bio: sixtymumble engineer. Had singles since age 15, raced moto-x for a few years in the 70s (CZ 2-stroke). Retread motorcyclist. Other bikes in garage: 1970 Ducati Sebring (from new) Yam XT125R (previous commuter). Artificial ankles:p (so no kickstarting, never:().

Found this forum. Very helpful, already.

A question in ignorance - is the XR650 the same basic motor as the Domi?

andrew

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi and welcome to the Mad House. :D

You'll have to explain that one to the younger members on the site. ;)

Really not sure about the XR650 motor. What had you in mind?
The Dominator was Norton's 650 parallel twin, and the biggest bike they did till it grew into the Atlas 750
I did one ride one briefly, but at the time I was a Velo Fellow, with a Viper 350

The XR650 engine? I am in a rapid-learning mode at the moment, and am trying to find which Honda models are relevant to my Vigor - the XR engine shows every sign of being basically the same, only probably more powerful!

Good news, I got a weekend of discovering and adjusting on the Vigor, now named VT, short for "Vigor Tonans" (the thundering Vigor)
Bad news - many fasteners don't want to leave their nests, including those for the silencer heatguards - which have to be removed to get to the air filter, etc
Even Better news - today the front brake arrived, and lived up to the Brembo name (I guess it had been glazed or mudded up)

I'm getting to like this big thumper:D

Not surew why my profile sez I can't post attachments - lets try this
andrew

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Them young boys know nothing! ;) THIS is a proper Dominator, not the best picture of my Dommie 88 (500cc) but it does give my age away, and makes me dream of things past. :D

Andy.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Bigsingle
There are a couple of different XR650 models both completely different.
The XR650L which is the same motor in a more dirt oriented and taller chassis.(XRL)
The XR650R which is a watercooled dirtbike (XRR)and has no commonality with the Domi/vigor/fmx/XRL.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i do like the vigor.i would have hated that at 18 years old but now as i age to,i find the vigor pretty,pretty good.why has my brain changed so much.i'm sure i did'nt stick my head in a vice or get a bummp on my bonse,,,,,,,,,maybe my X wife beat me in my sleep

1 - 8 of 8 Posts