Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm back on the forum after selling my xr 650 a few years ago. I'm now the owner of a dommie 650. 1990 One owner from new and just under 7000 on the clock. It hasn't been run for a while so i replaced the dead battery checked oil and filled with fresh fuel and turned it over on the kickstart a few times. Tried to start it on the button and it fires on full choke buts cuts out after a few seconds on half choke or no choke doesn't fire at all. What do i do next? Also looking for mirrors and a screen .Thanks Phil

·
Registered
695 Posts
Modern fuel is sh*te.
Pull the carb off and see what state it's in - pretty bad I should think. Budget for getting it ultrasonically cleaned. You can try and clean it yourself but there are lots of little passages and drillways that you just can't get into.
Ethanol can corrode jets so check each with a Jeweler's Loupe for ovality or irregularity in the bore.
Check the condition of the carb diaphragm, they can dry out and crack. An easy way to check is just to lift the slide fully up then let go. If it slams shut the diaphragm is holed, it should descend more slowly and be accompanied by an air sucking noise.
Check the fuel cut off diaphragm on the right hand side of the carb, again there should be no holes.
By the way a regular treatment with silicon spray will do the diaphragms wonders.
Have a good look at the fuel tank, if it's been left partially filled there may well be a large amount of corrosion in there. Recovery is possible but there are million and one tank lining kits and cure-alls for sale. Personally I just fill them with bolts and strap them to a cement mixer for the afternoon. After that I clean them out and use as normal - but with a big fuel filter in line.
If your tank has had rust you will have to get used to the idea that for a while anyway you'll be changing fuel filters and possibly cleaning out the float bowl on a regular basis.
Give it a new spark plug and air filter and engine oil as soon as you've had it running long enough to get the old oil warm enough to drain out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts