Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just signed up and figured I ought to introduce myself and explain how ATs came into my life. As a life-long road (and road racing) oriented rider they didn't appear on my personal radar until about three years ago when a friend, who had never owned one, told me he wanted to get a motorbike. Like me, he's middle-aged and, thankfully, didn't want a crotch rocket or a gin palace on wheels. After much discussion with motorcyclist friends I suggested an AT and he bought one from a Honda dealer here in Dublin. He took to it like a duck to water.

In May this year another friend expressed an interest in getting a bike so with no hesitation I said "Africa Twin" and he asked me to look into finding one. In the course of my search (Biketrader and E-Bay) I came across a '98 with 530 miles and, decided on the spur of the moment to have it for myself. My friend was a bit pissed off but mollified as I found him a '97 with 15,000 miles in excellent nick.

Mine has given trouble due to lying up for so long (rusted tank, fuel tap knackered, dirty carbs). It came with Givi box (ungainly but very handy) Metzler road tyres, centrestand and Corbin seat. The tyres had gone hard so I've just replaced them with Dunlops but haven't had a chance to rate them yet.

While I'd still prefer my VFR750 (that V4 motor is a peach) the AT is a far nicer proposition for short journeys, heavy traffic (commanding road presence) and generally tooling around.

Hondas rule.

Godfrey Shaw

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Hi Godfrey, nice story, hope you get it all fixed up Ok

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
yeh welcome aboard fella. you will find a wealth of experience here most people have done something your likely to come across :thumb:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Welcome Godfrey, I bet your mate won't ever let you forget the price you paid for buying "his" bike :D Still, every time I work on my bike I grow a little fonder of her. Thankfully she's not taking the p!ss :lol:

[Hijack on] Anybody ever fit a VFR750 engine to an AT?[/Hijack off]

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
lootch67 said:
Welcome Godfrey, I bet your mate won't ever let you forget the price you paid for buying "his" bike :D Still, every time I work on my bike I grow a little fonder of her. Thankfully she's not taking the p!ss :lol:

hijack back on :teeth: apparently it would be made very difficult by the routing of the zorsts :( hijack off :teeth:

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
lootch67 said:
[Hijack back on again, again]Roy sized it all up when he was clocking up big mileage, don't think he got round to it though.[/Hijack back on again, again]

Welcome to AT world Godfrey. You'll be selling that VFR soon mate :teeth:

·
Registered
173 Posts
welcome

Hi godfrey and welcome from me to a newbie myself you will love this site, how much did you pay for the @s. taffy :wave:

·
Widget
324 Posts
would happily keep both my vfr and @, both make me smile for so many different reasons

1 - 9 of 9 Posts