Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know when a helmet is past it's best ?
I would assume that all helmets differ, but is there an average time when you should consider scrapping it for a new one ??

Don't mean for looks or anything - just from a safety aspect

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Does anybody know when a helmet is past it's best ?
I would assume that all helmets differ, but is there an average time when you should consider scrapping it for a new one ??

Don't mean for looks or anything - just from a safety aspect
Never heard of a sell by date for helmets although it is recommended to replace then around the 10 year mark, due to deformation of the shell and heat on it. General wear and tear comes into it aswell how much use does it get, are the check pads knackered etc. Also if it's been dropped or damaged replace it sooner but the manufacturers say a drop from your kitchen table should cause no damage, ride magazine did an article on this exact question some months ago now

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Without looking it up, can't remember off top of my head but poly carbonate every one or two yrs, tricomposites five yrs, could be wrong but there's plenty of sites with info on this subject.
Mine smell like inside of trainers after a couple of seasons and usually get changed every two yrs but I may wash out my Schuberth coz IT WAS DEAR!
LOL! :thumbup:

Polycarbonate are designed to take one big shock, hence dropped on the ground could weaken the shell and replacement is advised. I leathered one with an axe and it took about a dozen full blows to split it!

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep,

I've heard of 8 years for replacement, but just not sure if this is just salesman patter ??:D

Obviously if the pads etc were worn,there would be no argument but I was thinking more about cracking etc.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Without looking it up, can't remember off top of my head but poly carbonate every one or two yrs, tricomposites five yrs, could be wrong but there's plenty of sites with info on this subject.
Mine smell like inside of trainers after a couple of seasons and usually get changed every two yrs but I may wash out my Schuberth coz IT WAS DEAR!
LOL! :thumbup:

Nice unintentional pun there Jim :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::D

L

·
0 Posts
The main reason to replace a helmet is nothing to do with the shell (modern day shells are UV/heat resistant) but due to the fact that the inner core shrinks/compresses over time and after a few years the helmet will be looser than originally fitted.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
The main reason to replace a helmet is nothing to do with the shell (modern day shells are UV/heat resistant) but due to the fact that the inner core shrinks/compresses over time and after a few years the helmet will be looser than originally fitted.
As well as this I heard that sweat causes the interior to rot, reducing the effective ability of the helmet to protect the skull.
With the removable linings the ability to wash and dry the interior helps prolong the life but I would not expect a well used helmet to last much more than 5 years.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I leathered one with an axe and it took about a dozen full blows to split it!
Who was wearing it at the time :D

I have heard figures from 3 to 7 years. But it must depend on levels of use and abuse as well.

If in doubt time to change ? Would not want it not to do what its supposed to when its needed most.

My wife replaced a helmet this year after just one day of use. However this is a bit extreme and I do not advise anyone to place thier helmet on top of the heater when they take the bike to work, it can completely f$%^& them :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts