Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great day out yesterday on the welsh run but my head feels like it's gone 8 rounds in the ring, (boxing ring!!) so I'm thinking about changing my helmet for a flip up type, (none of that removing helmet at awkward petrol stations bo*%ox)
Chatting to Mr & Mrs Mabel yesterday thumbs up for Scuberth and half a thumb for Caberg. What's your views?

Also, has any RD03 owners compared a standard small screen to a tall screen for effects on wind noise and buffeting.

cheers, thanks, ta.
 

·
Senior Consulting Member
Joined
·
1,982 Posts
cabbage2404 said:
Great day out yesterday on the welsh run but my head feels like it's gone 8 rounds in the ring, (boxing ring!!) so I'm thinking about changing my helmet for a flip up type, (none of that removing helmet at awkward petrol stations bo*%ox)
Chatting to Mr & Mrs Mabel yesterday thumbs up for Scuberth and half a thumb for Caberg. What's your views?

Also, has any RD03 owners compared a standard small screen to a tall screen for effects on wind noise and buffeting.

cheers, thanks, ta.
Infinity have reduced the Schuberth Concept to £199 at the moment. I'm thinking of getting one myself - tried one on yesterday and it was very comfortable and the sun visor thing is a great idea.
 

·
Frodo's Half brother
Joined
·
1,215 Posts
The concept is a good lid - I had one a while ago - crashed in it to and it stood up well. Bit of a goldfish bowl sensation but you get used to it. Another good feature was that the visor could pop forward and allow air in while still in the closed postion!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
I had a Schuberth Concept and loved it ... until I took a low speed tumble in it. The flip-up chin bit came adrift on one side and the sun visor completely separated from its housing and was loose inside the helmet. It was only a minor tumble (clothes scuffed and bike completely rideable) so suffice to say I was not impressed by the helmet.

I always ride with a full-face now.

Tony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,811 Posts
Think carefully about whether the problem was caused by putting it on and off (which you have to do sometimes with every helmet!) or whether it was to do with noise/turbulence. I don't recall there being many occaisions yesteday where you would have kept a flip-up on but taken a full-face off. When we stopped for a coffee or lunch you'd have taken it off. I guess you stopped for petrol at most twice, so that won't account for the boxing ring feeling.

In general flip-front helmets are noisier than full-face helmets; the exception is the Schuberth (and related BMW) which was designed for quietness with the help of a wind tunnel. They all are heavier than full-face helmets.

Regarding the screen, I know I've said this before but at least try riding without a screen. If the air flow suits you and produces less or no turbulence, you want a screen that's much smaller than standard.

(P.S. That ride from Monmouth/Rockfield to Abergavenny was good, eh?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dee Duble Yuh said:
Think carefully about whether the problem was caused by putting it on and off (which you have to do sometimes with every helmet!) or whether it was to do with noise/turbulence. I don't recall there being many occaisions yesteday where you would have kept a flip-up on but taken a full-face off. When we stopped for a coffee or lunch you'd have taken it off. I guess you stopped for petrol at most twice, so that won't account for the boxing ring feeling.

In general flip-front helmets are noisier than full-face helmets; the exception is the Schuberth (and related BMW) which was designed for quietness with the help of a wind tunnel. They all are heavier than full-face helmets.

Regarding the screen, I know I've said this before but at least try riding without a screen. If the air flow suits you and produces less or no turbulence, you want a screen that's much smaller than standard.

(P.S. That ride from Monmouth/Rockfield to Abergavenny was good, eh?)
It wasn't on the actual ride we did that i got the buffetting so much, but the journey down and back mainly.
To be honest the wind was godawful on the way back up north and my eye balls were still rattling an hour after i got home.

Yes i agree with you about about a smaller/shorter screen and if anyone out there has a standard RD03 screen they don't want/need anymore i'm intrested.

Cheers to Alex for that info.

And that stretch of road :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.s Those varas go well don't they :D
 

·
Matron
Joined
·
12,080 Posts
cabbage2404 said:
Dee Duble Yuh said:
Think carefully about whether the problem was caused by putting it on and off (which you have to do sometimes with every helmet!) or whether it was to do with noise/turbulence. I don't recall there being many occaisions yesteday where you would have kept a flip-up on but taken a full-face off. When we stopped for a coffee or lunch you'd have taken it off. I guess you stopped for petrol at most twice, so that won't account for the boxing ring feeling.

In general flip-front helmets are noisier than full-face helmets; the exception is the Schuberth (and related BMW) which was designed for quietness with the help of a wind tunnel. They all are heavier than full-face helmets.

Regarding the screen, I know I've said this before but at least try riding without a screen. If the air flow suits you and produces less or no turbulence, you want a screen that's much smaller than standard.

(P.S. That ride from Monmouth/Rockfield to Abergavenny was good, eh?)
It wasn't on the actual ride we did that i got the buffetting so much, but the journey down and back mainly.
To be honest the wind was godawful on the way back up north and my eye balls were still rattling an hour after i got home.

Yes i agree with you about about a smaller/shorter screen and if anyone out there has a standard RD03 screen they don't want/need anymore i'm intrested.

Cheers to Alex for that info.

And that stretch of road :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.s Those varas go well don't they :D

I'm taking Daves advice and removing my screen later to see if it makes a difference tommorrow. Mr Mabel just won't let me cut it down if it does though he insists that I spend more money on my bike - what a great bloke :love4: :love5: while I'm there I plan on getting a scotoiler, heated grips, new tyres - will I get away with it ???????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,811 Posts
Skidmarx should make one to your specification. They don't charge less for small screens though :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,094 Posts
I have a Nolan N100 Flip. nice and round for the fatter head.
Its not got single handed closure, but its reasonably quiet and very comfortable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,811 Posts
Mabel said:
Mr Mabel just won't let me cut it down if it does though he insists that I spend more money on my bike - what a great bloke :love4: :love5:
Careful! This may be a prelude to, "Well now we've spent all that money on your bike, now it's my turn." Before you know it he's bought a Ducati for track-days, a GPS and sound system for the BMW, and a new set of leathers. And all you got was a plastic screen! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dee Duble Yuh said:
Think carefully about whether the problem was caused by putting it on and off (which you have to do sometimes with every helmet!) or whether it was to do with noise/turbulence. I don't recall there being many occaisions yesteday where you would have kept a flip-up on but taken a full-face off. When we stopped for a coffee or lunch you'd have taken it off. I guess you stopped for petrol at most twice, so that won't account for the boxing ring feeling.

In general flip-front helmets are noisier than full-face helmets; the exception is the Schuberth (and related BMW) which was designed for quietness with the help of a wind tunnel. They all are heavier than full-face helmets.

Regarding the screen, I know I've said this before but at least try riding without a screen. If the air flow suits you and produces less or no turbulence, you want a screen that's much smaller than standard.

(P.S. That ride from Monmouth/Rockfield to Abergavenny was good, eh?)
Just lopped off 5" my screen, will try it out tonight going to Bassetts Pole bike meet.
Will let you know what difference it has made :D
 

·
whys the rum always gone?
Joined
·
17,680 Posts
cabbage2404 said:
Dee Duble Yuh said:
Think carefully about whether the problem was caused by putting it on and off (which you have to do sometimes with every helmet!) or whether it was to do with noise/turbulence. I don't recall there being many occaisions yesteday where you would have kept a flip-up on but taken a full-face off. When we stopped for a coffee or lunch you'd have taken it off. I guess you stopped for petrol at most twice, so that won't account for the boxing ring feeling.

In general flip-front helmets are noisier than full-face helmets; the exception is the Schuberth (and related BMW) which was designed for quietness with the help of a wind tunnel. They all are heavier than full-face helmets.

Regarding the screen, I know I've said this before but at least try riding without a screen. If the air flow suits you and produces less or no turbulence, you want a screen that's much smaller than standard.

(P.S. That ride from Monmouth/Rockfield to Abergavenny was good, eh?)
Just lopped off 5" my screen, will try it out tonight going to Bassetts Pole bike meet.
Will let you know what difference it has made :D
i did this with my power bronze sceen to see what happend . it made matters worse :shock: so ive now bought the skidmarx flip its about the same size as the powerbronze but the flip is not so pronounced so hopefully wont cause so much turbulance. :D

also i must say the quality of the finish is much better than the powerbronze the edges of the screen are polished so there is no need for the unsightly edgeing strip :D
 

·
Matron
Joined
·
12,080 Posts
Right I rode without my screen tonight to see the difference, it was still noisy but not the ear splitting turbulence. I took a trip to my local bike place and they reckon that my screen is not the standard one.

Mr Mabel still won't let me chop any off the screen so I will order a lower one from the honda dealer.

He will NOT BE ALLOWED a track bike GPS, new leathers or any other new kit for his bike he still owes me for his new lid, trousers or yeah and the bike!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Frodo's Half brother
Joined
·
1,215 Posts
Mabel said:
Right I rode without my screen tonight to see the difference, it was still noisy but not the ear splitting turbulence. I took a trip to my local bike place and they reckon that my screen is not the standard one.

Mr Mabel still won't let me chop any off the screen so I will order a lower one from the honda dealer.

He will NOT BE ALLOWED a track bike GPS, new leathers or any other new kit for his bike he still owes me for his new lid, trousers or yeah and the bike!!!!!!!!!
Harsh but fair....
 

·
whys the rum always gone?
Joined
·
17,680 Posts
MacP said:
Mabel said:
Right I rode without my screen tonight to see the difference, it was still noisy but not the ear splitting turbulence. I took a trip to my local bike place and they reckon that my screen is not the standard one.

Mr Mabel still won't let me chop any off the screen so I will order a lower one from the honda dealer.

He will NOT BE ALLOWED a track bike GPS, new leathers or any other new kit for his bike he still owes me for his new lid, trousers or yeah and the bike!!!!!!!!!
Harsh but fair....
AGREED :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,162 Posts
I didn't say anything honest :twisted:
 

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
Joined
·
4,354 Posts
i WAS THINKING about screens and noise and stuff today. Trouble is screen and moving air is operating in 3 dimensions - cutting 'em down is only tackling one dimension [up/down] - although I suppose there is a bit of front/back as well.

I suspect to really deal with wind noise and turbulence caused by the screen it needs to be moved both up and down and back and forward to find the optimum position.

What about side to side? I suppose the screen has to be in the centre of the bike and fairing sub-frame and other fitting make moving it a bit impractical, but profiling the screen (a-la double bubble screens] to divert the wind round side rather than straight over the top is having something of the same effect.

This stuff also sounds interesting - don't think it would fit a TA screen as that has a moulded/rounded edge. http://www.saeng.com/4000.htm
 

·
whys the rum always gone?
Joined
·
17,680 Posts
sounds good in theary but its as ugly as sin :shock: :D
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top