Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looking to get a reliable 6 to 7 volt (switched) supply from the bike to power a small 2 way radio on each of our bikes, using batteries is becoming a pain - can it easily be done with a resistor or something?
Preferably small & keep it simple - I'm no leccy expert!

At worst we could use a suitable mobile phone charger but would prefer something a bit smaller & without relying on ciggy lighter sockets.

Cheers, Phil

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
Maplins! go and ask the nerd behind the leccy counter! :thumb:

I've got a switchable cig charger unit, and am sure you could get something similar and take the guts out of it and wire it into something. It might need a heat sink or air flow though as it is vented?

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Okay, here we go. This is the terribly complicated circuit that you will need -

And here is the pinout of the voltage regulator -

The Maplin part numbers are -

Voltage regulator - AW69A (TS7806CZ)

Capacitor C1 - RA52G

Capacitor C2 - RA49D

Oh, you'll also need a small bit of stripboard (veroboard) to make the circuit up on, but Maplin's sell this as well.

You might want to put a fuse in the supply from the bike's battery - something along the lines of twice or three times what the radio takes should be adequate.

These voltage regulators are pretty hard devices to destroy as they will cope with short circuits across their outputs and also being connected the wrong way round on the inputs too.

Any other questions, just ask.

Forgot to say, these regulators will supply up to 1 Amp, which I hope will be enough. You can (or rather should) bolt the regulators to some metal work for heatsinking. The tab is internally connected to the Ground pin.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, here we go. This is the terribly complicated circuit that you will need -

And here is the pinout of the voltage regulator -

The Maplin part numbers are -

Voltage regulator - AW69A (TS7806CZ)

Capacitor C1 - RA52G

Capacitor C2 - RA49D

Oh, you'll also need a small bit of stripboard (veroboard) to make the circuit up on, but Maplin's sell this as well.

You might want to put a fuse in the supply from the bike's battery - something along the lines of twice or three times what the radio takes should be adequate.

These voltage regulators are pretty hard devices to destroy as they will cope with short circuits across their outputs and also being connected the wrong way round on the inputs too.

Any other questions, just ask.

Forgot to say, these regulators will supply up to 1 Amp, which I hope will be enough. You can (or rather should) bolt the regulators to some metal work for heatsinking. The tab is internally connected to the Ground pin.

Thank you for the info, it's great & straight forward enough - even for a numpty like me to follow :thumb:

The radio's use 4 AA batteries, so anywhere between 6 & 7 volts will be fine & I can't see them using that much power, but they seem to start playing funny bu**ers when the voltage drops below 5.6v (1.4v/battery)

Although it looks simple enough, I kind of feel that by the time I have fashioned it all onto some boarding, along with the inevitable rats nest of wiring & multitude of dodgy joints, a bo**ocking 'cos I have dribbler solder all over the kitchen worktops (AGAIN), then trying to weather proof it, a mobile phone charger might be a sensible option, already sealed (kind of) & with a small male plug already fitted at the other end.

I suppose I was hoping for "fit a xxx resistor on the positive feed & it'll be near enough..." type of reply.

Thanks again & I'll let you know the result :thumbright:

Phil

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hi Phil
Me and winxp had a similar problem when we were preparing for TLD1 we were trying to get radio's to work and we ended up getting a bunch of astuff from maplins to help power them

basically all we bought was a cigarette-type socket which wired direct onto the bikes battery and they also sold plug in voltage adaptors with selectable voltage levels and we ran the radio's off those

we had lots of prblems and gave up in the end but that was how we sorted the power supply problem out

derek..

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Yeah our problems were more to do with the radios than powering them, i got mine powered in the end by doing this:

I bought an adapter from maplins for a tenner that has a cig lighter adapter built in and switchable voltage, i also bought a female cig lighter and some wire... total cost was no more than about 15 quid.

I ran a wire from my bikes power (done so my ignition switched it on rather than on all the time) to the female cig adapter then plugged the switchable voltage adapter into that (set to 6 volts) then i cut the end of the switch wire (it had a phone type conector on) so that i could wire that into the radio. I simply removed the back of the radio and attached (with leccy tape for a trial run but would advise solder) the positive to...the positive :D etc etc... fired the bike up and voila, power all the time.

One thing to note is that when my ignition was switched off i lost my presets so i would advise either direct from the battery to avoid this or some kind of system wheras you can use rechargeable batteries in it but that kind of tinkerypokery is beyond my knowledge.

Phil, i think i still have a radio with wires poking out of it if you want to try that, i could mail you it for a play about... just let me know :thumbleft:

Craig.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
In true Blue Peter style, here's one I made earlier :D -

The rule is there to give you some idea of the size of it - the box is about 3 inches by 2.

The large resistor is just there as a test load and at the moment this little gizmo is providing 120 mA at 7 Volts. If you want to test it Phil I can shove it in the post to you.
That looks great :thumbright:

you have a pm.

Phil

ps And cheers for the offer Craig but I'll tinker with the radios that we have.

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
This all looks like fun! I might have a go myself. Do all the bits come from maplins? I must get myself some propper 'learn electronics' kits and books! I do enjoy tinkering with it.:rolleyes:

Sorry Phil just a quick hijack!:

I have a pair of motorola GP300's that may take bike power? although how do I/can I extend the ariel to the outside (one of those bendy short rubber panel mount ariels?) of the bike so I can just stash the radio and forget about it?

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
cheers, that would be great, but don't be suprised if I am on here next week nursing soldering iron burns!:rolleyes::(

I am not fussed about where the bits come from but the nearest Maplins is 11mi from home so not on the doorstep but handy enough.

Any others I'm happy to order from as long as they are not £10 P&P for a £5 order! :D

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
cheers, that would be great, but don't be suprised if I am on here next week nursing soldering iron burns!:rolleyes::(

I am not fussed about where the bits come from but the nearest Maplins is 11mi from home so not on the doorstep but handy enough.

Any others I'm happy to order from as long as they are not £10 P&P for a £5 order! :D

Okay, I'll sort something out. Probably be tomorrow now though. Lazy see? :D :D :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Just to give you some ideas,and to confirm Lutins idea,this is what I use for my motorola T5622's. They need 4.5 volts, 3xAA, so I bought one of these off a guy on ebay who had it made by starcom for about 30 quid I think he said.

It fits in as a replacement for the batteries and plugs in the power socket on the bike,I just put the radio either behind the screen or stash it in the tank bag and it works fine,no loss of signal and doesn't drain the battery.

The unit is a direct replacement for the batteries and the circuitry looks exactly as Lutins drawings

I should Imagine they do a circuit board to replace the 4 batteries I presume your radio's take, what radio's are you and Vanessa using Phil?

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahaaa, hiding the 12-7v gubbins in the back of the radio, great idea & very neat.

The radio's are some kind of Midland jobbies bought off ebay uk (as always...) & shipped over from the US quite a few years ago, supposed to be higher powered and a different frequency to uk ones (ahem :rolleyes:), but still have a crap range tho.
Downsides are that we can't talk to those with pmr442 or what ever, plusses are that some of our conversations are best kept to ourselves ;)
as they say, "It's good to talk" (dirty) :p

Phil

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took the radio's to bits last night and for compactness & neatness hiding the gubbins in the battery area appeals to me.

Lutin, I'll still take your pre-made 7v supply as long as the postage is sensible, and use that as a template to make one for the second radio to fit in the radio's battery compartment (3AAs side by side) as there's not many hiding places on the V's Hornet.

Duncan, I can't speak for the Motorolla but on the midland's the areial looks simply like a copper coil soldered onto the circuit board & pushed into the plastic aerial, I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to make a fly lead from the radio to mount the aerial high on the bike.

Great info everyone :thumb:

Phil

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Lutin, I'll still take your pre-made 7v supply as long as the postage is sensible, and use that as a template to make one for the second radio to fit in the radio's battery compartment (3AAs side by side) as there's not many hiding places on the V's Hornet.
Don't worry, the postage will be buttons.

I've just done a quick check and the piece of aluminium I've used is just a bit longer than four AA batteries are wide and also a bit longer than an AA battery. A quick mod with a hacksaw, or a different shaped piece of aluminium would see the gizmo fit inside the radio, I reckon.

Have a look -
Just checked, and the gizmo is a little narrower then 3 AA batteries.

Anyhow, I'll package it up as is Phil and you can see if it will do the job.

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Okay here's a parts list if anyone wants to try experimenting. These are all components listed on the Maplin's web-site.

First there what could be called the standard version of the circuit -

Three different output voltages can be reliably provided from the bike's nominal 12 Volt supply - 5V, 6V and 9V. The only difference is the particular voltage regulator to use.

So -

5 Volt regulator (TS7805CZ) Code: QL31J £0.91
6 Volt regulator (TS7806CZ) Code: AW69A £0.91
9 Volt regulator (TS7809CZ) Code: N37CA £0.91

Capacitors -

Capacitor C1 (100 nF or 0.1 uF) Code: RA52G £0.18

Capacitor C2 (470 nF or 0.47 uF) Code: RA49D £0.18

You will also need some strip-board (or Vero board to use a trade name). I just used an offcut that I had lying about that I cut down to 37 mm x 26 mm. This is 10 strips by 14 holes. I could have used a much smaller piece. Maplin's sell this in a variety of sizes -

Strip Board 1039 Code: JP46A £1.46 (100mm x 25mm - 39 holes by 10 holes)

Strip Board 2939 Code: JP47B £2.79 (100mm x 74mm - 39 holes by 29 holes)

Strip Board 2958 Code: JP48C £3.45 (150mm x 74mm - 58 holes by 29 holes)

Strip Board 3962 Code: JP50E £3.45 (160mm x 100mm - 62 holes by 39 holes)

Strip Board 39117 Code: JP51F £4.94 (300mm x 100mm - 117 holes by 39 holes)

And the box I used I had lying about, but also came from Maplin's -

Miniature Sloping Case KC96E £1.79

That should get you going. The pinout of the voltage regulator I have posted up earlier in this thread.

The circuit I built uses a small piece of scrap aluminium for a heatsink for the Voltage Regulator. This is a precaution on my part as I'm not sure what current these radios take. However, when just in "listen" mode, the current will be fairly low. Radios only tend to take any amount of current when transmitting and unless you intend to transmit for any length of time continuously, then the heatsink will not need to be huge or indeed needed at all. But this all needs looking into. Maybe Phil could take some current measurements when he gets the gizmo I'm sending him.

Form the adventerous, you can provide other voltages besides these standard ones. For example, 7 Volts and 8 Volts can be provided by a slightly different circuit -

Using a 5 Volt regulator, this circuit will give 7 Volts and using a 6 Volt regulator will give 8 Volts. Note: even though there is an LED in the circuit NO current limiting resistor is required.

Oh, Maplin part number for a red LED is UK48C, price £0.49

There's plenty of other places to get electronic bits on the web. One firm I have used very successfully is ESR components http://www.esr.co.uk/. They have lower prices than Maplin's but you'll need to wait for the Postie. :D Just checked and postage charge is £2.50 for small parcels.

If anyone needs any further help, you know where to find me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts