Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Does anyone has a HID conversion kit that want to share your own experience?
I don't know if the 55W will burn wires or will damage the battery on my Africa Twin?
Thanks all

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I believe the HID's take little current when they are 'switched on' I ran 55W on my TA with no issues, they are excellent you will love them :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I believe the HID's take little current when they are 'switched on' I ran 55W on my TA with no issues, they are excellent you will love them :thumbup:
They actually take a bit more while the arc is struck and from that point on they take their rated wattage. So once lit a 55W HID draws the same current as a 55W halogen. This startup spike is not large or long enough to cause any problems with the wiring although it may cause some problems with more modern bikes (or BMWs :) ) that have bulb failure circuitry and electronic fuses.

I would fit like for like so if your bike has a 35W headlight as standard fit a 35W HID kit. The only problem you may have is with dazzle and that's either down to poor burner or reflector design. Fitting the lower 35W units should still give you about twice the output of a standard 55W halogen. 55W should give you 4 times the output. The only difference between the 35W and 55W kits is the ballast so if you are not happy you could always change just that bit. The burners are the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Boris.
I'm going to follow or advice and stick with the 35w 5000k or 6000k, they look very reasonable.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I knew someone woud be along that knew what they where talking about :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'd go for 55watt, 4500K this colour is most like the OEM colour (4300K) the higher the no the bluer the light and also the less efficient.
The @ has a hi /lo H4 lamp, the lamp operates by a solenoid moving the lamp in and out changing it's position relative to the reflector.
A relay and 2 supplies from the battery need to be wired in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts