Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a bit of a nightmare yesterday after installing new pistons reassembling the heads and getting the engine back in the frame quite nicely disaster struck. When torquing down the small 6mm bolt in the cylinder head it snapped like a bit of cheese. As usual this was the last bolt.

To fit a helicoil I would need to pull the engine again the get the barrel off :rolleyes::rolleyes: After looking at the setup it seems that the bolt can't be doing much other than pinching the head down a bit but with all the main head bolts doing most of the work does anyone know if I could get away with leaving this out??

20180702_100443 small.jpg 20180720_125319 small.jpg E__0201.jpg

·
Registered
78 Posts
Where abouts on the bolt did it snap? I think for a head and base gasket i'd strip it now, there's likely enough of the bolt exposed once the barrel is off for an easy removal. So two gaskets and a new bolt and its sorted rather than putting it back together and it leaking to then strip it all down again. I agree it's not doing much but Honda probaby put it there for a reason.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I agree with coppice its more work but I would also torque everything down before fitting in the frame. Its easy after the fact but Im sure you want it right.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
+1 for stripping it. Even if it has snapped off flush, there's no axial load and no corrosion, so it should come out quite easily.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I used to do this when folk came into our workshop with sheared off bolts. It never worked if they where undoing them as they would be well seized.

As it was done when tightening up then it's like it won't be seized.

Get the head back off.

Get a narrow centre punch (pin punch) and make an indentation as close to the outer edge of the remaining bolt as possible. Don't let the indent go across into the head itself. Get a small hammer then gently tap into the indentation in an anticlockwise direction and tease it out.
99/100 it'll start moving. Patience.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where abouts on the bolt did it snap? I think for a head and base gasket i'd strip it now, there's likely enough of the bolt exposed once the barrel is off for an easy removal. So two gaskets and a new bolt and its sorted rather than putting it back together and it leaking to then strip it all down again. I agree it's not doing much but Honda probaby put it there for a reason.
Snapped off about 3 turns from the end of the tread on the bolt, I'll need to get the head off to see if its poking out of the barrel (hopefully it is). I should be ok to use the same gaskets shouldn't I?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I 've had a few days to calm down I suppose I better pull it apart again and take a look

·
Registered
78 Posts
If it makes you feel better i've ruined a set of fork bushes and seals (about £50 quids worth) by not fully seating the top/outer bush. I cant get the seal to go low enough to fit the spring clip, but the only way to remove the seal to get at the upper bush is to knock the bushes together which damages them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Must have had luck on my side. I got the rear cylinder head off without taking the engine backout and the remainder of the bolt just unscrewed with a pliers so didn't need to remove the barrel either. ????

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Must have had luck on my side. I got the rear cylinder head off without taking the engine backout and the remainder of the bolt just unscrewed with a pliers so didn't need to remove the barrel either. ????
Jammy.
That's a great break.
Every now and then the mocker gods give you a miss.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts