Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Barking. Totally.
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone out there say definitively whether the 650 TA has a catalytic converter in the exhaust system. I've found conflicting discussions on the forum and we intend taking a pair of TA's to a few countries where the fuel's likely to be dodgy and not unleaded. A CC can be clogged pdq by leaded fuel as i understand it. :confused:

Thanks. BB

D

·
0 Posts
Hi BB,
the TA 650 does NOT have a Catalytic Converter.

It has a hot tube which with the aid of a air introduced into the exhaust cleans up the emissions. Different system to CC and can't be harmed by leaded fuel.

Leaded fuel coats the CC and stops it working I does not clog them up. It does not make any difference on a bike because they don't have to be emission tested.

The TA will run on anything the locals use I have use 76 octane without any problems. Check out what local measurement is used, UK uses RON and some coutries use AKI ratings which is about 4 points lower, ie 89 AKI = 93 RON. There are other ratings.

Where are you going to that may have leaded fuel ?

Steve

·
Barking. Totally.
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks AM - We're doing a rtw next spring taking the Europe-Turkey-'Stans-India-China-Thailand-Cambodia-Laos-Malaysia route, then Aus-US-Europe. India is my main concern for poor fuel, but as long as there's no cat to go wrong, we'll get by.

Thanks for the help. :thumbup:

BB

D

·
0 Posts
Nice trip.

One thing on the TA 650 which may give you a problem, is the steering head bearings, they don't last long on bad roads. It is a good idea to know how to change them. To make the job easier the second time, file a couple of slots in both bearing seats in the head stock, makes knocking out the old ones simple. To get the bottom race off, break off the rollers and sometimes they can be tapped at a angle and eased off, if that fails break them with a punch, but wear eye protection.

Steve

·
Barking. Totally.
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Xlnt info. Thanks.

I'll change the head bearings before we go to get some practice and for an idea of what tools to take (another job on a very long list).

Cheers.

BB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts