Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just aquire my very first AT and looking for advice, currently engine is out of frame and i won't to clean and paint it. Can anybody advise is bead blasting the way to go or paint striper followed by a paint job

any advice most welcome

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Bead blasting is the way to go if you want to risk killing your engine!!

Seriously though, there is a risk that some of the blast media could find it's way into the engine, which would ultimately wreck it. If you intend to completely dismantle the engine, vapour or soda blasting is an option.

You could risk it (I wouldn't) but I would recommend a wire brush and some elbow grease, in a nice dry environment, so corrosion doesn't start straight away. Wire wheels that fit a drill or dremel would save time. Make sure you blank off and protect any openings into the engine.

I've got to do one as well, and have been putting it off forever because I really don't cherish the thought and mess.

Don't forget to choose a good quality engine paint.

Bob :thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
sfx wheels
806 Posts
engine casings should really only ever be shown any blasting media when they are completelly stripped

dont try to blast anything with bearings in it ,,,,,,, itll soon be doing the clonk clonk knock bang dance ,,,,,

if youre not gonna strip it , then a good quality de greaser is always a good starting point ,,,, keep it away from any seals n bearings though ,,,,

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
If your not stripping the engine then mask off all openings , get yourself a decent selection of wire brush attachments for your drill and have a good work out :) then paint with a good quality engine paint ie PJ1

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Welcome to the XRV Forum Grahew,
As youv'e noted it's full of top tips, advice, wit, banter & repartee.
I've just used elbow grease, patience, lots of hours to keep my AT clean, not powder coated just polished the casings to a decent level.
Anyway have a fab time

·
sfx wheels
806 Posts
dont get any stripper on any casings that may have a high magnesium content , they`ll soon start to fizz ,,,, not good

drill wire brushes is really the best option

pj1 is deffo the best engine paint on the market

if you cant find it local ,,, check out www.oro2you.co.uk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Best way to clean swing arm?, currently off bike as its in the middle of complete rebuild,Frame has been powder coated and engine painted and both look good but don't know how to clean swing arm:lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well after some delays i have 90% rebuilt the A/T and its been intresting and sometimes bloody frustrating:mad: but with only a few bits now to fit and with the engine up and running ( to my supprise) I have to think about paint!

The bike is twenty yeard old and after the rebuilt almost looks new but the paint work is shabby what I realy need is some advise on the next stage, I feel it need a complete respray, I can prepare all the panels myself but what colour? White again?if so should i Put decals back on.............:(

·
17,680 Posts
RWB what ever scheme you use its the best and fastest:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
yeah RWB,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,red white and blue to you:D

·
17,680 Posts
yeah RWB,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,red white and blue to you:D