Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has an old Garmin GPS they would like to donate to a good cause, please let me know. I'll explain...

I'm working on a project in Uganda to help charities (NGOs) and local government to create and maintain maps of their localities:
  • for everyday use such as prioritising provision of health, education, water/sanitation, women's support, business support and so on; and
  • to be used in the event of a disaster, such as identifying the extent of a disaster, recording progress of search and rescue, identifying nearby health centres, locations for feeding stations and so on.
In order to do this local organisations need GPS devices that can record their travels and way points. We are standardising on Garmin GPSs, so kind offers of other makes won't help sorry. Also budget sat-navs often don't keep track logs of their travels so similarly won't help. "outdoor handheld" devices like the eTrex and GPSMAP - or even a Zumo - would be great. Even an old Streetpilot III would do!

I'll be going early in January, so if you can get your device (battery charger etc) to me in the next few weeks it would a huge help. Perhaps we can create a relay system between members to transport them to sunny South Wales?

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
I have an old Garmin Streetpilot 2610 if that's any use you can have it as I now have a Tomtom. :thumbright:

Andy.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
............ Also budget sat-navs often don't keep track logs of their travels so similarly won't help. "outdoor handheld" devices like the eTrex and GPSMAP - or even a Zumo - would be great.............
my zumo doesnt keep tracks.....

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an old Garmin Streetpilot 2610 if that's any use you can have it as I now have a Tomtom. :thumbright:
That would be great! Do you have the cables etc? Any ideas on how to get the device to me?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What model is it? All the ones I've read about keep tracks. The Garmin site says something like, "Once home, you can review your rides in Google™ Earth" for the 220, 400, 500, 550, 660.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, only devices that keep track logs are of use, thanks.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
What model is it? All the ones I've read about keep tracks. The Garmin site says something like, "Once home, you can review your rides in Google™ Earth" for the 220, 400, 500, 550, 660.
My street pilot doesnt keep tracks either
I think they have to be mapsource compatible, not all them are:confused:
is it only the ones that track that can be used???
wish you all the best

zumo 400, its mapsource compatible but definately doesnt keep tracks. unless theres a box to tick on it somewhere to enable tracks?

anyway i dont want to get your hopes up, you cant have it, sorry :thumbup:

a lot of cheap mobile phones come with gps these days, mine included, free with nokias now, but whether its any good for you or not, couldnt say. wish i still had my old quest, that would be ideal for you. keep up the good work mate :thumbright:

·
Registered
262 Posts
needed similar stuff for a project over in moz, so i wrote a project proposal to garmin direct. they are sitting on tons of older models that are mapsource compatable and logs tracks. they gave me one large marine model at cost and two marine handhelds for free! its worth a shot mate, i dont have the details,as a connection in the uk sorted it for me, so i am sure she worked with garmin uk. good luck:thumbright:

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
zumo 400, its mapsource compatible but definately doesnt keep tracks. unless theres a box to tick on it somewhere to enable tracks?

anyway i dont want to get your hopes up, you cant have it, sorry :thumbup:

a lot of cheap mobile phones come with gps these days, mine included, free with nokias now, but whether its any good for you or not, couldnt say. wish i still had my old quest, that would be ideal for you. keep up the good work mate :thumbright:
I've got a Zumo 400, and can export my rides back to the PC for viewing in Google Earth, or using Garmin's own mapping software...

JB

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
needed similar stuff for a project over in moz, so i wrote a project proposal to garmin direct. they are sitting on tons of older models that are mapsource compatable and logs tracks. they gave me one large marine model at cost and two marine handhelds for free! its worth a shot mate, i dont have the details,as a connection in the uk sorted it for me, so i am sure she worked with garmin uk. good luck:thumbright:
worth a shot, if you dont ask you dont get! ive always found them helpful
Garmin (Europe) Ltd
Liberty House
Hounsdown Business Park
Southampton, Hampshire
SO40 9LR
United Kingdom
Tel: + 44(0)23 8052 4000

I've got a Zumo 400, and can export my rides back to the PC for viewing in Google Earth, or using Garmin's own mapping software...

JB
hmm mine doesnt i'll have to look into it then.....

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
ah found it, for some reason they arent called tracks like every other GPS ive ever had, they are called 'trip logs' in the user data tab in settings.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad yu sorted it. Meanwhile, back on topic...

Does anybody else have an old Garmin GPS they no longer need? Or perhaps an old one I can borrow and return?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Huge thanks to Outrunner for sending his Garmin to me. Even paid for the postage! :thumbright:

Can anybody else help? "Outdoor handheld" devices like the eTrex and GPSMAP - or even a Zumo - would be great. But a 2610 or Streetpilot III would do!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the training events went quite well, and Outrunner's GPS was very gratefully received. Indeed Outrunner got a spontaneous round of applause! :thumbleft:

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Good to know it went to a good cause and I hope it serves them well.

Andy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts