Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!

I've just treated myself to an RD04 to replace my missing RD03, and need an opinion on something that happened on the way home.

The bike is straight but tatty, and after a 10 minute test ride (today) I thought I'd definitely have it.

Anyway, on the 80 mile ride home, I noticed that there was a bit of of noise at speed, which by the time I'd got home, sounded a lot worse. The only way I can describe the noise is like when a truck has a noisey differential. Not a constant noise, sort of a woo, wooo, woo.

Now, the chain and sprockets are clean, but dryer than an Arab's jock strap, so at this stage I'm hoping it's just the dry and fairly tired chain, but it's got me worrying that it could be something more un-toward, like gearbox.

The noise is worse with the throttle on, but with the clutch in and coasting it is still audible (slightly).

It's got about 60,000 miles on it, and I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced this or if AT's have any known gearbox problems.

Other than that and one fork seal leaking, I'm fairly happy with it, as it's just a hack. I just need some re-assurance really, as if it's something major I'm gonna take it back for a refund.

Any advice is greatly received.

Thanks

Bob

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Sounds like a dry chain to me.
Cover it in lube and I reckon It'll go away.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm gonna try really lubing up the chain and taking it for a ride this morning. I was too tired to do it last night.

I was trying to analyse the noise on the way home. It does go up and down with groundspeed I think, as opposed to gear/engine speed, and more importantly, the noise doesn't resonate that quickly, which leads me to believe it's associated with something thats not turning that fast (so hopefully not gears or bearings)

The whole bike, although tatty, its fairly grease/oil/gunge free, which makes me think it's been gunk'ed and pressure washed. so everything, especially the chain is dry.

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Sounds like a tight chain? :shock: If that is the case, loosen it asap (loose like in "about to fall on the floor" rather than Honda's recommended 4 cm free play), before you damage gearbox / rear wheel bearings. Good luck!

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
It sounds like the chain to me too - if it's knackered (lots of side play especially) no amount of oiling will help. Either way, if the noise is road speed related you've narrowed it down yourself; either the chain or the wheel bearings (but check the output shaft for leaks and wear in the bearing there!). If it had been the same the whole journey, it could even be the tyres. But the gearbox per se should be fine.

Stig

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, after well over half a can of chain lube, I am pleased to announce the noise has certainly got much quieter.

Output shaft seal, and rear wheel bearing seem good, and I'm convinced it was 80+ miles with absolutely no lubication to chain and sprockets that was making all the racket. Chain and both sprockets are well past their best days, so these will be replaced some time in the future.

Anyway, once again, I've fallen in love with another bike, so it won't be going back! It's got it's faults, but I didn't want a peach because people steal them. This RD04 looks like it's been round the world, and the odometer may back this up, but for a cheap hack, it's everything I want. PLUS, it looks well hard with the big knobbly tyres it's sporting at the moment!!

Thanks for all your replies, I certainly feel happier now, and will post some pics of my RD03 (prior to the work it's having done on it at the moment) and this RD04 in all it's battered glory.

I love this bike, and this group is great.

Cheers

Bob

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Glad you like it :D
Chains can make really spooky noises when they are too loose, to tight or just worn. Also knobbly tyres can be quite loud at motorway speeds (like a hollow drone). My RD07 is quite scruffy as well, which just adds to the charm of this sort of bike imho. Less things to worry about when parking or riding in winter, although it is recommended to regularly rinse off the worst of the gunk to avoid structural corrosion (wheels, front brake calipers, frame and exhaust). But let's enjoy summer first :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts