Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please guys, help me.

I've been slipping towards the dark side of the bike.

i have been seriously considering selling (gasp) my beloved @@ and getting an 1150GS. (I know others of you have too, I've seen you at GSer forum as well !!!!)

I nearly did it today. Fortunately I didn't and went on @@ for a 100 mile blast, great!

Why am i being like this? What's wrong with me? I have 25 Africa Twin T-Shirts from Craig (Wold rider) and i bloody well love my @@.

Yet. Yet. I have started becoming fixated on the 1150GS.

Please make a case why I should resist from buying the BMW.

(Or should I get it??????)

What do you all reckon?

In a right dilemma chaps (and chappesses)

help.

·
Born again worker bee
208 Posts
Please guys, help me.

i have been seriously considering selling (gasp) my beloved @@ and getting an 1150GS. (I know others of you have too, I've seen you at GSer forum as well !!!!)

I nearly did it today. Fortunately I didn't and went on @@ for a 100 mile blast, great!

Why am i being like this? What's wrong with me? I have 25 Africa Twin T-Shirts from Craig (Wold rider) and i bloody well love my @@.

What do you all reckon?

help.
helpustohelpyou,

What you are experiencing is a perfectly normal condition called "BMWenvy". It happens at a certain point in any mans life and is quite harmless.

The symptoms of this annoying, but not terminal condition also include:

Delusions and hallucinations about the ugly duck appearance of the BMW1150...

Loss of memory to the fact it's as heavy as a barge off road...

...and a strange desire to want to bang ones shins on a pre-war engine.

My suggestion is that you that two turns around the block on your AT, a cold shower, a warm cup of tea and then pull yourself together man.
:)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Dark side indeed.

It`s the infinately superior BMW R1100GS you`ll be needing.

Or two of them.......loike wot I`ve got......:D :D :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Since I got my @ my mate with a 1100 keeps telling me how much he wants a @ and if I sell it he wants it, so the grass isn't alway greener.

·
It's Just A Ride....
1,499 Posts
?
help.
I find your lack of faith disturbing...! ;)

I think its called... The Wrong Way Round Syndrome... (Obviously with a support team of highly qualified BMW technicians and a Cray computer!)

OK, you own a Motorcycle that is totally unique, a Motorcycling masterpiece, designed and more than suitable for its purpose... Much fun to ride, easy to fix and virtually indestructible...

BMW Riders are like BMW Drivers, they think (or don't), that because they own a BMW they have the 'Best' that is on Offer... What they don't realise is they have bought a vehicle who's manufacturer is only the best at one thing... 'Marketing'...

"Image" is the path to the dark side, Image leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering!;o)

Resist.... Looking at things like this wont help!!! ;)

tarka said:
"It`s the infinately superior BMW R1100GS you`ll be needing."
Ahhh this makes sense now... Always two there are, a master and an apprentice! ;)

·
Rule thy Mind
345 Posts
Please guys, help me.

What do you all reckon?

help.
I attended the MAG AGM last weekend and counted six 1150's and three 1200s -----Common as muck

Four of the 1150s were parked in formation ---so i parked the old faithful AT in the middle -----and guess what got the most attention :D

on the Saturday morning one of the GS 1200 and 06 model wouldn't start due to a flat battery---- got on the @ ----fired up first time as usual

I was nearly tempted last year ---pleased i didnt now ---too expensive to run and buy for a bike i only use from October to April

·
Gyarikku Hou
66 Posts
I know the feeling, believe me…. I had (still have sometimes) the same issue with the KTM 950 ADV. When I get home I beat up myself with a cowhide, and voilà (!) back on the straight path!! :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm. Strong in the force are you.

My bike yesterday rode miles 100 did I.

Much enjoyment was there. yes.

Away from the dark side have i now moved.

Still, wish I could reduce the finger vibration from longer journeys :sad:

Which was why I was looking at the Beemer in the first place.

·
Gyarikku Hou
66 Posts
Hmm. Strong in the force are you.

Still, wish I could reduce the finger vibration from longer journeys :sad:

Which was why I was looking at the Beemer in the first place.

Hey, that's an easy one! Have you by any chance removed the handlebar weights for closed type handguards let's say?? Do not remove the handlebar weights (you can even change them with others from a different bike). But I'm talking about real weights, not just bar-ends.
Have you seen the weights of the GS or the Vstrom?

·
Lost Lost Lost
558 Posts
I know what I would do......
DO NOT RESIST!!!!

It is a VERY good bike. It is heavy but it is not used as an MX machine. It's brilliant at everythihng it has been designed to do and a few other things too.......:cyclops:

For commutuing, B-roads, M-roads, empty or fully loaded it is a brilliant machine!!!;) Breaks are excellent, enough torque for ploughing and handling that will look after you.....trust me it does!!!!

It is allot of bike for the money. Keep yer eyes peeled and you might just find a vrey nice one for a mile under 5K.
The bike really grows on you and with all the aftermarket accessories it can really be personalised to suit you. GS gets my vote....no excused made.:D

·
Registered
280 Posts
In late summer last year I bought an 1100GS. Within days I hated it, I hated the indicators, I hated the sidestand, I hated the surging, I hated the way it didn't idle with the sidestand down, I even began to hate the dated front end looks with the single headlamp. I HATED IT! I then dod a deal with a mate, he took the BMW and I took his @ which I absolutely love. Yesterday I was out with him again for a blast. On the way back we swapped bikes. First time I'd been on the BMW since last year. Ridden back to back with the @ which is older, much rougher and worth a lot less money. After riding the Beemer again, guess what?

·
Lost Lost Lost
558 Posts
In late summer last year I bought an 1100GS. Within days I hated it, I hated the indicators, I hated the sidestand, I hated the surging, I hated the way it didn't idle with the sidestand down, I even began to hate the dated front end looks with the single headlamp. I HATED IT! I then dod a deal with a mate, he took the BMW and I took his @ which I absolutely love. Yesterday I was out with him again for a blast. On the way back we swapped bikes. First time I'd been on the BMW since last year. Ridden back to back with the @ which is older, much rougher and worth a lot less money. After riding the Beemer again, guess what?

I've heard similar stories about the 1100GS. Maybe that's why the temtation is for the 1150GS.:dontknow:

·
It's Just A Ride....
1,499 Posts
Away from the dark side have i now moved.
I know what I would do......
Don't listen to the Voices my young Padwan... They have already been seduced by the Dark Side, their cause is lost...

There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no chaos; there is harmony.
There is no death; there is the force.
&
There is no BMW; there is the Africa..... ;)

·
aka Oxbone :)
1,514 Posts
Just go and hire one and test ride a couple.... maybe that will satisfy your BMW urge....

I had the R100RS way before my AT and loved it loads.... I would have another BMW especially an adventure style, but right now im loving my AT too much..

Read Long way round and take in what the guys are saying.... they actually discuss the virtues of GS v AT and at one point think they made the wrong choice.... thats what it boils down to... personal choice and actual circumstance.... they are both fantastic bikes...

Ride on :thumb:

1 - 20 of 93 Posts