Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Alp has developed a rattle when under load from around 3500 revs....
A friend of mine (who is a car mechanic) has had a quick listen and thinks it's the bottom end bearings...:(:(:(

On a quick ring round of some bike garages have had a few quotes around the £300 mark (one did say it would be £200 to strip and re-build, but then add whatever parts need replacing... he said if it's just bearings then they are fairly cheap, but if the crank has gone then could be upto near £400 just for the crank....:(:().

Another garage did say that sometimes it's easier to source a second hand engine and just do a swap... so was lookin on good old Ebay and found these:
HONDA TRANSALP XL 650 ENGINE XL650 V 02 XL650V on eBay (end time 05-Jun-10 11:19:32 BST)
HONDA AFRICA TWIN XRV750 XRV 750 ENGINE GOOD CONDITION on eBay (end time 09-Jun-10 19:52:25 BST)

Now I know ones a 650 and the other a 750, but I've heard of others have done this kind of swap and seems to work out ok... but was just wondering... apart from the obvious exhaust front pipes having to be changed to accomodate the different exhaust ports angles, but what else would have to be done to slot one of these engines into my '88 600 Alp:confused::confused::confused: (I'm more drawn to getting the 750 block if possible... cos would be nice...:p:p:p)

Anyone offer any advise for this please:confused:

Thanks

Titch :thumb:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
motor swaps also can mean CDI swaps, the 88 alp has two CDIs, later AT & 650s have one with 4 plugs, as I recall.. could get complex .. but it is doable:thumbup:

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
My Alp has developed a rattle when under load from around 3500 revs....
A friend of mine (who is a car mechanic) has had a quick listen and thinks it's the bottom end bearings...:(:(:(
I would be absolutely certain what is causing the rattle before committing to anything like a new engine - unless that is the excuse you need to embark on a new project anyway.

Good luck whatever. A 750 engine in a 600 frame and body sounds superb.:D

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
ahh check the spark plugs!! rememeber reading a thread where the noise turned out to be one of the deep seated ( cam side ) spark plugs being loose :)

from past experience big ends get worse very quickly.. so you should know soon enough ;)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aahhh, not thought about the spark plugs... will check them out later....
Further info.... no loss of power, engine still sounds grunty aprt from the rattle, still quick on pick up on the throttle, doesn't seem to be using any more fuel than normal....

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Are you positive that it is the engine and not just something loose which reaches resonance at those revs.

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Titch there is a guy sell an 88 TA on the carpe TDM site, might be worth considering (no pics but you could get in touch, ad says 600 smackers, I think)
I had an annoying rattle on an old Divvy turned out to be the adjuster plate being loose, but that was on run over rather than under load.
Hope you get it sorted (and cheap)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Aahhh, not thought about the spark plugs... will check them out later....
Further info.... no loss of power, engine still sounds grunty aprt from the rattle, still quick on pick up on the throttle, doesn't seem to be using any more fuel than normal....

mmm a major bearing going west usually gets worse and then catastophic:blob6:

really loose tappet?

check it over hopefully its somthing real silly:thumbup::rolleyes:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now got a bit more info from someone I know who is a honda mechanic (cars unfortunately), but on chatting to him tonight he says that if the crank bearings have gone then it's more of a knocking noise rather than a rattle, and he is more inclined to put it down to a loose/worn tappet or the cam chain could be rattling... he says that the chain adjuster is controlled on oil pressure and thw spring could be worn, or the guide on the other side is a metal guide with a nylon cover... and if the nylon has worn out, then the chain could be running down the bare metal and rattling against it....

I have just found a business card for a local mobile bike mechanic, so think I will be calling him in the next few days to get him to have a look and see what he thinks...

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Get hold of a big screwdriver. Push the handle into your ear and put the other end against various places on your engine. It's better than a stethescope. it will all sound very noisy with lots of swooshes and clicks and bangs but You will soon isolate where the noise is coming from which will give you a much clearer idea of the cause.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get hold of a big screwdriver. Push the handle into your ear and put the other end against various places on your engine. It's better than a stethescope. it will all sound very noisy with lots of swooshes and clicks and bangs but You will soon isolate where the noise is coming from which will give you a much clearer idea of the cause.
Flat head or cross head...:confused::confused::confused:

Only kidding... sounds like a good idea though... not going to ask how you found this out though:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hopefully will find the noise coming from the cam chain or the tappets, rather than the crank.... fingers crossed...

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Flat head or cross head...:confused::confused::confused:

Only kidding... sounds like a good idea though... not going to ask how you found this out though:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hopefully will find the noise coming from the cam chain or the tappets, rather than the crank.... fingers crossed...
It used to be the way they tested engines for noise in the early days.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right then, latest update....

Been to see 3 different mechanics today, who have all listened to my 'Rattle', and have also riden it to here it properly... and all have pretty much said 'Bottom ends fooked'...:(:(:( one of them described the sound as 'Roddy', and said either con rod bearings or crank bearings...:(:(:( and went on to say that it would be very expensive to fix and would be easier to drop in another block....

so have been looking on Ebay and found this:
HONDA 600 TRANSALP 1988 ENGINE COMPLETE on eBay (end time 11-Jun-10 05:39:28 BST)#

What do peeps think...???

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
that's a black motor with fins,

so its gen 1 alp engine 1988..

he has it as an 1998 and an 88 but its a1988 motor .. low miles .. speak to him.. got carbs which is a bonus

1 - 14 of 14 Posts