Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to fit some heated grips to a TA 700.

So I need to find an 'ignition controlled' live power source.

Can anyone tell me where I can find one?

It needs to be ignition controlled (ie not direct to battery) as if the grips are left on with the ignition off, they will drain the battery.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Use a relay, to power the grips take the switch power from a sidelight feed.

Sent from my iPad using Stumps

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
As Honda had Heated Grips as option on the TA700 there would be an "official way" to install them.

See if Your local Honda dealer could supply you with a copy of the Electrical schematic for the installation of Heated grips.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Many dealer fitted grips are wired from the front brake light switch but this just seems wrong to me.
There should be an accessory socket with a switched fused supply.
You could splice into the correct wire or buy a Honda Quartet harness & wire your grips to that

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
468 Posts
I've always wired direct from the battery, with a live feed from the rear brake light feed to power a relay fitted under the seat. Then the grips switch off when ignition is off. The grips (normally Oxfords) have always had their own fuse. But if there's a OEM socket for grips I grips I guess it makes sense to use it?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
On my TA650 & AT I splice into the fan circuit before the radiator thermostat as the fan is unlikely to be running when the grips are on. The fan is normally ignition switched and has its own fuse.
TA700 wiring diagram shows a fan fuse but also a fan relay so check that fused fan circuit has switched ignition power all the time or only when the relay trips (then no good for the grips), cannot see a radiator temperature sensor and the relay appears to be triggered from the ECU.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have OEM heated grips on my TA 700, they are wired via a quartet harness which plugs into a socket under the left hand side cover.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts