Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1990 Transalp 600

(i am well aware of the CDi issue, having replaced two on my last transalp)

my current bike has an intermittent fault, sometimes (usually when i first start the bike for the day) the rev counter is not working, yet it is firing on both cylinders. after a few miles the rev counter starts working

when this fault happens i pull off the rear left hand plug (i can see there is a spark going to that plug) and immediately the engine runs only on one cylinder (the front one)

i have swapped the CDi's around, and yet the problem persists

so... is this a CDi issue? or something else?

it would appear the rear right hand plug is not getting a spark, regardless of me swapping the CDi's over

any ideas?????

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here's an update if anyone is interested. i discovered that the rear right hand cylinder spark plug was not getting a spark, and the rev counter was not working.

i swapped the CDIs over, and the problem remained (rear right spark plug still not getting a spark). this struck me as odd, as I thought each CDI provided the spark to separate cylinders.

so then I though it must be a faulty coil

after a bit of fiddling with the CDIs i discovered it was in fact a faulty CDI.

so... i have discovered that each CDI unit supplies a spark to one plug in both cylinders. (i think)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have I got my head round that correctly?
Are you saying you think each CDI unit supplies a spark to one plug in each cylinder?
Or that one plug in each cylinder is supplied with a spark from both CDIs?
Surely if either were true the bike would run on one CDI unit?

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, i can't quite get my head round it either.

Are you saying you think each CDI unit supplies a spark to one plug in each cylinder?
yes, i think that's true

but when i unplug one CDI entirely, the bike only runs one on cylinder, and I would assume it would continue to run on both cylinders

very confusing.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one the rear right cylinder spark plug (one one that was not getting a spark), is attached to a coil. two wires come from that coil. one goes onto one CDI, the other wire goes into the other CDI.

this would suggest the CDIs are somehow "linked" so each CDI provides a spark to both cylinders

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
one the rear right cylinder spark plug (one one that was not getting a spark), is attached to a coil. two wires come from that coil. one goes onto one CDI, the other wire goes into the other CDI.

this would suggest the CDIs are somehow "linked" so each CDI provides a spark to both cylinders
There should be a wire to each coil from the CDI,s and then a wire going from one coil to the other which is ground (earth) it should go to all four coils. There should be a green cable going to all 4 coils then 2 with what i think is brown blue and 1 with what i think is brown yellow and 1 with a yellow wire. I cant make the colour that looks like brown out it could be black

Edit
looking though a powerful magnifying glass it is more black than brown

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
err, i'm confused now.

there are two wires coming out of the coil, a green, and a yellow/black

the green wires goes to CDI 1

the yellow/black goes to CDI 2

i have used a multimeter to test this

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i've looked at the honda workshop manual and the wiring diagram is too small to read!

i think this is a good excuse to get a new Africa Twin.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
There is a green going to the CDI,s its a common earth for just about everything on the bike I have got a photo of the wiring diagram but photo bucket is down so cant upload it
Have a read of my post again i posted it too soon you may have read it while i was editing it :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Its working again just noticed i took the photo of a different model bike to what i was looking at earlier and the cables are different colours on the coils what model is yours

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, i see, thanks. it looks like the CDIs are separate, and each CDI supplies the spark to just one cylinder

i've got a cheap CDI from germany so i'll see how that goes

i still need a new africa twin though

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Have you tried swapping the wires from the working coil to the coil that's not producing sparks that should prove if its the CDI or the coil

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no, i did think about doing that but i wasn't sure if the wires were long enough. the problem is intermittent and after hitting/bending the CDI the problem went away (as the bike was running), so I am pretty sure it's a CDI that is faulty, but only on the circuit that supplies one spark plug (rear right).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts