Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Need a job
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I need something clarifying...
I'm in need of some spare chain rivet links as we're going on a big trip and I want one or two just as back-up. My problem is I cant get any for my trannies chain.
Its an RK 525 chain bought from david silvers, but they dont stock just the links.
Can I buy any old rivet link as long as its a 525 link, ie: DID and other makes, or does it have to be a ''RK'' link?

Probably a very novice question, but I need to know and there's no where better to ask than XRV.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
I have bought spare rivet links in the past, M&P I think. Iam sure I just googled "spare rivet link". Probably best to get a matchng one but in an emergency Anthony will do , even a spring link Or two would do.

·
Need a job
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Aye split links might be a good idea, its only for emergency use which'll probably be on the roadside in the dark when its raining...
and my trannie definately does'nt kick out more than 60 bhp!

Good plan cheers guys! So any 525 link will do?

:thumbup:

Um Austin, who's Anthony?

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
I've had rivet links not fit between different makes of the same sized chain, so I would suggest trying to get the link from the same manufacturer. In my case, although the pitch was the same (520 in this case), the pins were too big to go through the chain we were trying to reconnect.

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
I bought a spare link with a split link to carry with me for a for a trip last year. The company I spoke to told me that I should be buying the exact link for my particular brand and type of chain, as others might not fit.

The company I bought it from had quite a lot of different links for different chains. I can't remember their name off the top of my head and don't have their invoice any more, but they sell stuff on ebay (as well as through their own site) so if you do a search for chain links there for your particular type of chain they might have some listed.

The one I bought I think was about £5 including delivery (though was for a different type of chain than yours).

·
Need a job
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for the help guys,

I got the DID split link today and it fits! Yay! Now I need some sunshine and some time off. Anybody got any reccomendations in the Cumbrian area...

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Hartside Pass, Cumbria - that road is nice and twisty if the weather is good (I'm guessing you already know about that one though).

There's another road that runs into it that's nice too, and takes you past an old mining works (can't for the life of me remember what it's called now - but it's probably on google somewhere).

EDIT>>I think it was the B6277 that I'm thinking of.

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
B&C Express for all things bike chains.Their service is second to none, very helpful & good on delivery.

·
Need a job
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nice site 416! Cheers!

Second dilemma:
I appear to have bought a ''DID roller chain'' for the other bike. Are they mainly for little bikes and do I now have to buy another O-ring chain? It came supplied with a split link and no O rings which is why I thought it must be for little bikes.

Help! :confused:

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
I have always recommended D.I.D. chains & use them on my R1,Exup 1000, KTM enduro & XR400. But there are other places that sell DID chain, but the B&C site explains things the best. I once had a Regina 630 size chain on my '78 Honda 750. It lasted 1800 miles & had more tight spots than a nunnery. They might have got better over the years but a friend bought a similar chain for his Yamaha FJ1200 & he was forever adjusting it. Another friend bought an EK chain for his ZZR1100 & the thing snapped after 5000 miles. Another friend had a new Triumph 955i & the chain snapped on that, taking out his crankcases...that was a Regina chain as well.

I see that there are quite a few race teams that have parts sponsers stickers on the bikes. They have been heard to say that they replace the chain every race outing...hardly a good sign of chain longevity.

·
Need a job
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry bud I did'nt make it clear,
this DID chain has'nt got any O rings, nothing nowhere. At first I thought they forgot to put the O rings in the bag, but I inspected the chain and it has'nt got any eather.

Am I right in thinking its mostly for little bikes in dry conditions? whats the main difference between an O ringed chain and one with no O rings?

·
2,701 Posts
Sorry bud I did'nt make it clear,
this DID chain has'nt got any O rings, nothing nowhere. At first I thought they forgot to put the O rings in the bag, but I inspected the chain and it has'nt got any eather.

Am I right in thinking its mostly for little bikes in dry conditions? whats the main difference between an O ringed chain and one with no O rings?
Non O ring chains need removing and 'boiling' in grease occasionally. This gets grease back into the rollers.

O rings keep the grease in place.

for a long trip i would certainly get a heavy duty O ring or X ring chain with riveted link.

·
Need a job
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the clarification, I'll see if I can change it tomorrow.

Cheers guys, once again you've helped me in my time of need. XRV I love you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts