Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone helpfully drove into me this week, they hit the very front of front wheel (from the side)

i have slackened off the top and middle yokes, removed the fork brace and mudguard, and bashed the wheel against a lampost but I can't get it straight/true

this photo was taken with the wheel pointing dead straight ahead

(i added the red line)

do i need new forks?

pic.jpg

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
did you slacken the nut on top of the steering stem as well

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you have done all that and it still won’t go straight, I’d say you have a bent fork leg. Try rotating each one with the yoke clamp bolts loosened off. If dead straight they should rotate easily, but if bent you will soon find out. You will have to shove your gaiters out of the way if you have them fitted.

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
As said, slacken the top nut too.
If you are that far, why not drop each fork out, remove top cap to make sure they each move through their full stroke?
I suspect the lot just wants realigning.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1,779 Posts
How's the fork brace? It's only pressed steel and fairly easily distorted (or at least mine was!). Putting the old one back on, the holes were very difficult to line up, so I bought a new brace. That lined up pretty easily.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've slackened the big nut, no joy.

The fork brace? You mean the bit under the mudguard? Yep, that has been removed at the start

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Good video that very informative except it would have been easier to check the rear alignment with the depth gauge on the end of the caliper he was using to measure the spacing

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, ive slackened everything off and i can't get it to be adjusted so the wheel points straight when the bars are level, so i am going to take the wheel out and fit replacement forks in

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well, ive slackened everything off and i can't get it to be adjusted so the wheel points straight when the bars are level, so i am going to take the wheel out and fit replacement forks in
If you find out the stanchions are bent they are not necessarily scrap they can be straightened i once had some ER5 ones sorted and they were spot on. You could still have a problem with the yokes being distorted though.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope the top yoke is not bent as the ignition barrel is fixed to that and it will need drilling out

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
update

i got "new" forks fitted, same problem (ie wheel not centered when bars are level)

after taking the whole front end apart i found out the forks were not bent, it was the lower/bottom yoke which had been very slightly twisted by the impact, this was causing the left hand fork to be out of alignment/pushed back. see pic

still, it gave me the chance to change the fork oil/gaiters and notice the brake pads were worn out

yoke.jpg

·
Administrator
1,779 Posts
Glad to hear the problem's fixed
..... I was lucky that only the pressed steel fork brace was distorted, and a new one did the trick.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, the fork brace is distorted and no longer fits, it seems impossible to bash it back into shape without a blowtorch and a vice, so i have ordered a "new" one

·
Registered
842 Posts
The brace / front mudguard on the 650 is the same as on the 600. Mine was slightly warped ,making it difficult to bolt up so replaced by a secondhand one swapped in from a 600.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i got a replacement yokes and forks from ebay, but i didn't need the forks in the end

1 - 20 of 27 Posts