Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Update..lower yoke replaced, existing forks installed. It is still very slightly off centre so either the forks are very slightly bent, or the top yoke is

but i can't be bothered to replace the top yoke and drill out the ignition lock, so it will stay as it is for the time being, the bike is rideable and should pass an mot

·
Registered
177 Posts
Update..lower yoke replaced, existing forks installed. It is still very slightly off centre so either the forks are very slightly bent, or the top yoke is

but i can't be bothered to replace the top yoke and drill out the ignition lock, so it will stay as it is for the time being, the bike is rideable and should pass an mot

Just caught up on this, if the bottom yoke is iron you would be able to put it back in twist quite easy by clamping the stanchions in and simply pulling the stanchions back to parallel I once had to do that with a CB750.

Looking at the pic' the bottom yoke is quite twisted and that says the top yoke has to be affected to some extent but you can check that by again clamping the stanchions in and looking at them for twist.

If they are still out of twist with the new? bottom yoke do you know that that yoke is true? and without back reading did you check the stanchions for straight ?

Good you found the problem anyway.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The new lower yoke was used from ebay, it looks to be true. The stancions look straight, but something is off somewhere.

It's much straighter than it was so i will leave it for the time being....

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Easy way to check is nip the pinch bolts on the bottom yoke so the fork slides through smoothly & without any slop, a little squirt of wd40 helps. The stanchion/s should line up & slide into the top yoke perfectly.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
ok, here is an update. I replaced the lower yoke, fork brace and I had the wheel re-trued, and everything was much straighter, but still the wheel was pointing very slightly left when the top yoke/handlebars are level.

So... I replace the forks, problem is still there.

What else could it be? All I can think of is the top yoke (the thing the handlebars attach to) is bent somehow - ????

i have also noticed i cannot tighten the big top steering nut too tight at all (it should be 120nm), whenever I tighten it, the steering has "tight" spots. i have checked and greased all steering bearings

could the headstock be bent? ie number 2 here

FRAME-Honda-MOTO-650-TRANSALP-2003-XL650V3-F__2800.jpg

·
Registered
110 Posts
DS99 I had a look at the bit that houses head stock bearings when I was changing mine ones and it looked short and solid, I doubt it could be bent....

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
yeah, i don't think it's bent as that would cause a lean angle on both forks

i think the issue with the "loose" steering is that the steering head bearings now need replacing as i have mixed up the bearings and races by replacing the lower yoke

21 - 27 of 27 Posts