Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone got a manual for the xr600, i need to know the standard settings for the rear suspension rebound and compression damping (the srews at the top and bottom of the shock) i need to know how many clicks out i need to turn it for standard. I have looked over google and got a manual but the information isnt in there, maybe its in the standard user manual, any help would be great thanks

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
I read of your plight & hoped that someone with a XR600 might come to your aid...

So, hoping that your rear shock is similar to that which is on my XR400R, I got my small handbook, which is ok, but not that helpful.

My 400 book suggests, for the rebound damping adjustment on the bottom of the shock, turning in the adjuster clockwise until it cannot be turned anymore...but don't try & turn it any further than when you feel a bit of resistance as it's quite easy to break the screw off inside. This will be maximum rebound damping. My book suggests that there should be 16 clicks from maximum to minimum, but usually only the first few make much differance. They then suggest turning the adjuster ACW by 4 clicks.

For the top compression damping the suggestion is to turn it in fully CW, then turn it ACW 13 clicks out, from a possible 18 clicks.

These are only a guide by Honda...I suggest marking the shock with a permanent marker what the suspension is set to when you've made the settings as above. Then turn the adjusters one at a time either side of what the standard setting is...then you can always go back to where you started if you find the handling is completely going the wrong way.

Make 3 clicks adjustment at a time...then you'll feel a differance, as one click at a time won't feel like you've made any adjustments.

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply i will have a go with the xr400 settings and see how i get on, at the moment i think both the screws are fully in judging by how hard it is and how rubbish on rocks it is.
thanks i will let you know how i get on...... :thumbright:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
thanks for the reply i will have a go with the xr400 settings and see how i get on, at the moment i think both the screws are fully in judging by how hard it is and how rubbish on rocks it is.
thanks i will let you know how i get on...... :thumbright:
I would start with softening up both ends of the shock, why people like winding everything upto the max all the time i'll never know. Just remember your suspension never needs to be hard or soft it needs to be compliant with what you are using it for.

The amount of times i've seen bikes skipping over the surface of things instead of absorbing it becuase the bikes are set up too hard is beyond belief..

Some time ago i was considering an Ohlins for my XR and when i phoned them the chap asked me what iwas using the bike for. I told him green lanning and road trials his reply was "get your old one serviced and repaired and setup for yourself, there's so many settings on our shock you'll never have it set up correctly for what you are doing"

and he was right

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi

My 1996 XR600 owners manual says the suspension settings are
Front forks -
Front fork oil level - Standard oil level - 125ml varying from 115 to 145ml

Compression Damping Adjustment - turn screw in clockwise until stops (this is fully hard setting) turn adjuster screw counter clockwise one full turn - this is the standard setting position. Each complete turn of adjustor equals four positions, there are 16 positions altogether.

Rear Suspension -
Rebound Damping - this is located at the lower end of the shock absorber and has 23 positions or more. Turning the damping adjustor one full turn advances the adjustor 8 positions. To adjust the adjustor to the standard position proceed as follows - turn the damper adjustor fully clockwise - this is the fully hard setting. The adjustor is set in the standard position when the adjustor is turned counter clockwise fourteen clicks and the slit on the adjustor aligned with the reference mark on the lower end of the shock absorber.

Compression Damper
This damper has 20 positions or more - turn the adjustor knob one full turn equals 10 positions. To set the adjustor to the standard position turn the adjustor couter clockwise until it will no longer turn - this is fully soft. The adjustor is set at the standard position when the adjustor is turned clockwise seven clicks and the slit is aligned with the punch mark.

Hope this of some help to you.

Andrew

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi

My 1996 XR600 owners manual says the suspension settings are
Front forks -
Front fork oil level - Standard oil level - 125ml varying from 115 to 145ml

Compression Damping Adjustment - turn screw in clockwise until stops (this is fully hard setting) turn adjuster screw counter clockwise one full turn - this is the standard setting position. Each complete turn of adjustor equals four positions, there are 16 positions altogether.

Rear Suspension -
Rebound Damping - this is located at the lower end of the shock absorber and has 23 positions or more. Turning the damping adjustor one full turn advances the adjustor 8 positions. To adjust the adjustor to the standard position proceed as follows - turn the damper adjustor fully clockwise - this is the fully hard setting. The adjustor is set in the standard position when the adjustor is turned counter clockwise fourteen clicks and the slit on the adjustor aligned with the reference mark on the lower end of the shock absorber.

Compression Damper
This damper has 20 positions or more - turn the adjustor knob one full turn equals 10 positions. To set the adjustor to the standard position turn the adjustor couter clockwise until it will no longer turn - this is fully soft. The adjustor is set at the standard position when the adjustor is turned clockwise seven clicks and the slit is aligned with the punch mark.

Hope this of some help to you.

Andrew

very helpfull! thanks you!!!!! :p

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi.

No problem, might have some more questions about USD front ends;)

You haven't got the original yokes have you ??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts