Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
What did I do that for...
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Just went to start the dommie....nothing.

No neutral light. No sidestand light.

All dead.

I've checked all fuses and they're all OK.
Put my meter on the battery and thats registering 12 volts.
I'm just stripping all the fairing off to try and check if there is continuity to the ignition switch terminals....

Anyone got any ideas ? ...I'm buggered if I know whats wrong. All was fine on Friday when I put her away :dontknow:

Cheers all.

·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I checked that ...on off on off etc etc .... nothing.

S

·
0 Posts
i'm afraid thats the height of my wisdom as i only got my domi on Saturday. I left the kill switch on yesterday and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start! :oops:

S

·
0 Posts
Just because the battery is measuring 12v across the terminals doesn't mean its OK. Remember, a meter won't draw hardly any current and under load it may break down. I'd try a booster on the battery first before I started dismantling things. Do you have another battery of anything their you could put in place?? If it lights up the dash you'd have your answer. Hope thats a help :D

·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmmm.....

I have an optimate on my GSXR (which is waiting for me to remove two rusted exhaust header bolts :/ and unridaeble)

I'll stick it on the optimate overnight and see if that helps....

Damn motorbikes :evil:

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Quick tip:

Did you check all the fuses, or just all the fuses in the little fusebox near the headlight?

There's a 20A main fuse on the back of the bike near the battery:

Just to the right of those red caps, under the black cap...

·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oooh....I think so.

I'll go and check it again.
I didn't take the airbox off.

There was one right next to the positive terminal of the battery that was 20A. is that the the same one ?

Just checked on the battery...the optimate light was green and still nothing from the ignition, so, it must be some other fault...

Gonna check for this other fuse otherwise the local garage will have to come and collect it and sort it :cry:

Bet they'll charge a fair few quid :cry:

·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I think that is the same one....just checked and its the only one there.

PLUS I took the connector plug off of the ignition switch cable and checked, and theres 12v getting that far so maybe it's ignition switch ?

Weird though since i have had no problems until now, suddenly just dead.

Oh well, better ring the garage.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
There's only one fuse on the back of the bike, the rest are in the fusebox in the fairing...

But what you describe really does sound like a blown main fuse, if everything's dead, all lights, the lot, then I'd say it's the fuse or something else near the battery that causes the circuit to break. Corrosion on the negative terminal, something like that?

In theory you should then be able to bumpstart it, once the engine is running it'll just run off the generator. (Though in practice bumpstarting a big thumper is... Difficult.)

I had this a while ago, bike ran fine, but wouldn't give a peep anymore once I'd shut off the engine. That was a stuffed main fuse. It wasn't blown, it was just corroded to hell and back.

Oh, while you're pulling stuff apart anyway, spray all the plugs with vaseline spray to keep the water out...

·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know what you mean..

I have cleaned the terminals on the fuse and run a continuity test on it which was fine.
I also checked for the 12v supply to the ignition switch and that was registering which makes me think that although the fuse is OK it's got to be something else....

Might be ECU related. Or duff ignition switch.

What a about the rectifier/regulator. I've heard about them but dont know where it is or what it looks like, or if the dommie even has one !

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
The regulator is on the back of the airbox, sandwiched between the airbox and the rear fender. Hadn't thought of that one, it's never conked out on me yet. ;-)

Thenagain if the ignition switch has gone the way of the dodo then obviously the whole thing will be dead...

Crap. I'd hoped it was the fuse, 'cos that's a cheap and cheerful fix... The rest will be a bit more tricky. (And expensive. :-()

·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, OK.

Got good news and bad news.

I know what the problem is but I don't know what I'm gonna do :lol:

Look at the pics below.
They show the white plug in the electrical feed cable that leads up to the ignition switch.
It is this bloody thing, that is causing the problem.
When I went out to check that I had 12v across the terminals I must have disturbed it. On the off chance I switched on the ignition and voila! lights, and bike started.
Bike off and ignition on (indicator on for test purposes) I pull down on the white plug and off goes the indicator and the ignition; push up (gently of course) and the ignition and indicator come on again !!

Therefore it must be this plug that has a loose connection...right ?

So, firstly, anyone know what the plug is called or who I can ask ?
Secondly, do you reckon I can buy one and swap it out...I dont think so, because (admittedly I haven't removed it or looked at it in any great detail) it looks like it's moulded. Damnit !

Front of bike...just to the left of the left fork leg, right in the centre is the plug

Zoome in on plug...

S

·
0 Posts
The reg/rec is basically a big diode which converts the AC supply to DC before it hits the battery. When they fail it tends to mean that they still pass current, but no longer in one direction only so I doubt it's that.

If you can get to a newsagent, thumb through 'Classic motorcycle mechanics' and pick out Ferrets telephone number (advertises in it, yellow ad containing the words ferrets electrickery) Very nice guy and he knows us at the thumperclub well, so if you use that as a lead in he might point you in a direction to start further investigations over the phone.

Chin up matey, the answer will be simple(if expensive) it's the finding it thats the hard part. :D

S

·
0 Posts
Bugger! you posted as I was typing :oops: Ferret is still your man though. Holds stock of all types of plugs/connectors.

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Well done Scott for finding the fault.

You can take that conector block appart - it should unclip. Youll have to do this anyway if you are to repair or fix it.

Maybe a wire has come loose inside, or something is corroded.

It may be difficult to change, as the wires might have teeth in them to stop them coming out ?

But you may be able to fix with a new connector block.

I'm just off to have a look at mine.

·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
+++++ STOP PRESS +++++

LOL :lol:

Out of curiosity I just went out to check on it again....this time I know what the problem is :D

It's the cable into the bottom of the ignition switch that has a loose connection. Was wiggling with the indicator on as a err, indicator to the problem and I can get the fault to appear and disappear with a tiny wiggle on the cable, so at least it's not that feckin plug.
Now the problem is how the feck do I get inside the ignition switch....it's got torx head screws with a small dimple thing in the middle :?:

Still, at least I can start it (hopefully it wont get worse).

Thanks for all your assistance guys, really appreciate you taking the time to read and reply.
Thanks.

I'll keep posting here to keep you all update, lol :lol:

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
I remeber Yen posted about this for Africa Twin - i think you have to break off the heads of the bolts so you can get the barrell out.

I think they are pins rather than bolts :?:

Should be an easy fix tho.

·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Anton.

Read that. Makes interesting reading...smashing security bolts off etc... :lol:

Just out to check over the ignition switch AGAIN. I cant leave it alone now.

My Mrs. is not impressed at the moment with me and my bikes.

I decided to change the rusted steel header pipes on my GSXR for loveley stainless items. Got 6/8 bolts off and the remaining two are stuck fast...lol
Just pondering on a way to manouevre some tools into the small space to remove them. They're those bloody "allen key" head bolts, that are rusted and rounded.

Not having much joy at the moment.

Again, thanks for the help guys.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts