Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any generic sorts of pannier racks...........I've decided I need panniers after struggling at the National...

I wouldn't use them often.....Would those Givi PL Tubular things be the ones for my bike?

I'd like to fit some pannier racks and then look at my leisure on ebay or here for some panniers to hang on them....

Do you need specific cases for specific racks............:confused:

Please Admin....How do I post this in Bike tech as well?

Thank You :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
There are two types for the transalp, one bent pipe rack and one plasitc one. Think you can get both from the Givi dealer. Different panniers different fixture, but I belive basicly similar consept. Search on Deti Transalp page http://www.ta-deti.de/ta/, there might be something there. There is also some sort of aluminium box cases for the Transalp, I have seen them in some german netshop, but dunno if i remember where ...http://www.motorradonlineshop.com/transalp/ ... Hepco & Becker has the alu cases (try it on Google). There might be other types/systems too.

Anyone, which is best wrt. fixing and release, safety and space ?

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boing !!!!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
So what's the boing for ? you asked ... unless my English is very poor ...
Definition of pannier racks from wikipedia:

"Motorcycle panniers (often called saddlebags) may be metal containers with lids, hard plastic, leather or fabric. The panniers may be permanently fixed to the motorcycle or may be removable. BMW has a unique hard-sided expandable pannier system." :D

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ha Ha...

Idefix..."Boing" is a just a nonsense word posting to bring the post back to the top of the list so more people can see it...:)

It's nothing to do with our strange British Humour....Relax...all is well..:D

Peace and love Man:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've fitteed the tubular type racks. They're a doddle to fit and keep the bike slim when the panniers aren't on. Mind you, I bought the Givi E21 panniers which are so slim I don't often remove them. They have a capacity of 21 litres each which is more than enough for one person for a week. If you see my previous posts there's some photos if you need to know what they look like.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Touratech do a really nice setup for the Transalp, I love mine, 40 litres one side and 35 litres the other (exhaust side). They cost €623 (430 quid)for the entire kit (both boxes, rack and all mounting hardware) and should last a lifetime.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thanks, no problem. Guess I have some languages to learn still. This is an interesting subject.

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Givi tubular...PL131?...ordered...Hope it's right!....:) :confused:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Show us a picture when fitted .....

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got a set of soft panniers for my birthday So last night I started making my own racks. Not hard, just some tube bent and welded together. Sure beats paying for TT ones

·
Registered
1 Posts
Regarding panniers and racking, does anybody know of a "3 box" solution for the Transalp? I can find plenty of possibilities for 2 panniers or 1 topbox but nothing so far to allow for panniers and a topbox. Thank you

·
Brrrummm!
317 Posts
I have fitted SW-Motech Pannier Racks to my TA 2006. My choice was based upon the fact that I did not want to be restricted in the choice of pannier, a hard box or soft luggage. These racks are removable using quick release fasteners which is another advantage and about two hours to fit as the indicators need re-sighting into a Motech supplied mini sub-frame. I am currently using soft luggage with them and you can just about secure and thing to these pannier racks.

Mark

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
I got a set of soft panniers for my birthday So last night I started making my own racks. Not hard, just some tube bent and welded together. Sure beats paying for TT ones
'Kinell !! you don't want to buy TT rails , but you fit a Staintune can !!!

£360 GBP for that baby over here mate !!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
'Kinell !! you don't want to buy TT rails , but you fit a Staintune can !!!

£360 GBP for that baby over here mate !!!!
:p :p Just after I bought the bike, a guy down here was selling a whole lot of stuff he had taken off his TA. ...Staintune, barkbusters, screen etc etc....bought the whole lot for less than the cost of the can.
I can't make a new staintune, but I can make a lot of stuff that normally costs an arm and a leg. It's pretty much what I do for a living anyway, so why buy what you can make, usually better than the other people make it.:p

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well, my racks are finished. While I was making them, I thought it might be a good idea to make some racks for fuel and water too. With the distances here and the small size of the TA fuel tank, an extra 5 litres doesn't go astray.

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, my racks are finished. While I was making them, I thought it might be a good idea to make some racks for fuel and water too. With the distances here and the small size of the TA fuel tank, an extra 5 litres doesn't go astray.
That is a quality job Clancy......You're an artist. :)

P.S. Someone stuck some silly flag sticker to your bike !!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have also ordered Givi tubular...PL131 and a pair of Givi E21.
Just what I need to, not to big and cheapest option ...:geek:

For the topbox I went for a E360 last year, all black of course.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
When you have the racks on you can borrow my 21litre boxes for a while to see how you get on with them,then if you think you are going to need larger you can just give me a quid rental ? ......alright then, for nuffink. :D ( I'll need them back for June though :) )

1 - 20 of 23 Posts