Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully some of the locals can help
looking at the maps and routplanners there seems to be loads of ferries on the route I have plotted. Are these regular shuttles or once daily jobbies, its mainly the connection to Kristiansund island to cross the Atlantic road/Bridges using the Halsa Kanestraum ferry and to get to Lysebotn from the north.
can I expect to have to remortgage the house to use them or are there usable roads / tracks that are not plotted.
I'm using mapsource - 1:600 000 real maps - and googlemaps
the route is something like the google map link, allthough in mapsource from Lysebotn to Kristiansand it says continue without the U-turn any advise or help greatly appreciated
Oh just one other minor point ........................................only 6 days to do it:(

E69 to Vesterveien/E39 - Google Maps

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Ouch!
That trip in only six days.
I have driven from Nordkapp to Narvik and the area around Lyngen is breathtaking!

You are a stronger man than me (Not that difficult ;)...)
From Kristiansand to Nordkapp is 2 953km, and then you have the return trip that's 6000 km in six days. That's some driving! Especially on them twisty roads.

//Kjell

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Snap ! It's not like bombing 600 miles in a day down to Italy or the Pyrenees. Norway is 'draggingly' slow by day.You can get up a bit of speed by night,but you'll need a bit of nerve and it doesn't make it a holiday,more of a mission.The further north you get the slower the going.Give yourself some more time or do it another time. :)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
oohh thats ambitious..

I had a week and just managed Fauske,, and that included a 24hr continous ride

Day One 10pm arrive at Burgen ( Newcastle ferry , no longer in use I think ) then to Voss in the pishing rain 2400hrs. dried out in the hostle there..

Day Two over the summer road to Trondhiem got there for midnight..

Day Three road to Hell and onto the Arctic Circle Hotel, got there for midnight again :thumbup:

Day Four check rear tyre.. shaggged... so called Carrol Nash, nice man arrived and trucks us to Fauske....

No tyre availble that day , shipped up the following day , so rest for the remaing part of day 4.. went to pub with my son..

Day Five 1500hrs bike fitted with new rear tyre.. mmm Ferry Day six 1500 from Bergen???

Set off for Bergen pishing with rain.. Arrive Day 6 1445hrs Burgen in time to Join the rear of the ferry que.. 24hrs stopping only for fuel and coffee

I had only planned to do the Artic circle.. and just made it

you will need more that 6 days mate, especially as you need to enjoy it which means stopping and going ooooohhhhh.

just do the Western Fjords..

I would love to do Norway again.. 2 trips

1 the western Fjords

the other

Nordcapp to tick the box.. but via Sweden :blob7:

what every you do .. enjoy it :thumbup:

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Six days is more the target, I'm with MelJordan and it's possible to have more time but we need to cover miles AND still enjoy it

I've only just got the leave pass signed so don't want to jeopardize future trips,

·
Registered
307 Posts
Am I missing the finer subtleties of this thread, given it involves reference to maps and directions and the like, or are you just being pathologically stubborn and hoping that if you keep saying “six days, six days ,six days......”often enough eventually the trip will fit?????? :rolleyes:

Just to be clear, I have nothing helpful to contribute. :angel9:

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As long as we don't have to wait too long for fjord ferries it's workable, all part of the adventure.
We just need to book the return ferry, I can add a day or two but need to confirm that Mel can,
so six days is what planned, did I mention the six day bit

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I would love to do Norway again.. 2 trips

1 the western Fjords

the other
Nordcapp to tick the box.. but via Sweden :blob7:
:thumbup:
The roads through Sweden will be.... BORING!!!
When compared to the roads in Norway.
I drove from Luleå in Sweden to Nordkapp, through Finland.
The route through Finland is also bit boring, bar the the very last leg.
Norway have the scenery in my oppinion.
I drove south through Norway from Nordkapp to Narvik, and it took a long time, but the roads and scenery were fantastic.

//Kjell

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
The roads through Sweden will be.... BORING!!!
When compared to the roads in Norway.
I drove from Luleå in Sweden to Nordkapp, through Finland.
The route through Finland is also bit boring, bar the the very last leg.
Norway have the scenery in my oppinion.
I drove south through Norway from Nordkapp to Narvik, and it took a long time, but the roads and scenery were fantastic.

//Kjell
Hi Kjell,

oh Norway has the views , your right there, but I just fancied doing some of the Swedish forest roads ( Farmboy is away doing them now ).. then on to Nordkapp and then down through Norway... I would say a 3-4 week trip... one on the list along with Morocco and Mongoila and..... :blob:

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Going straight through Sweden it cant be more boring than sitting on the Autobahn all day, when I first spoke to Mel about the trip his answer was

" I'll pick you up on route after the HUMM reckon we can get there in three days from your place " :angel9:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Hi Kjell,
I just fancied doing some of the Swedish forest roads ( Farmboy is away doing them now ).. then on to Nordkapp and then down through Norway... I would say a 3-4 week trip... one on the list along with Morocco and Mongoila and..... :blob:
Farmboy doing the Swedish forest roads? I better watch out then... :p

Morocco, ah, Yes :thumbright: Me too!

Going straight through Sweden it cant be more boring than sitting on the Autobahn all day, when I first spoke to Mel about the trip his answer was

" I'll pick you up on route after the HUMM reckon we can get there in three days from your place " :angel9:
Well at least you can uphold a decent amount of velocity on the Autobahn, something that would be difficult on the Swedish roads.

//Kjell

·
24 Posts
Hello Snaphappy

I am planning to do a Norway trip in a years time and have to do the same last leg as you from Lysebotn to Kristiansand. The route that I have planned will cut out that large first loop on your google map route. You basically take the twisty road (500) out to Sirdal, south on the 986, onto the 975 which picks up the 468 which is then the same on from your route. According to the map I used, it is 138 miles and 3 hours 31 minutes. A bit better than the 5 hours and 13 minutes! Maybe the route planners you are using are only able to use the major routes, using smaller more direct roads may save you a fair amount of time?

Maybe this link will help you.

Route planner

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I agree with the views that doing big miles in Norway is not a swift process.

Attempt tp make it swifter by opening up and be warned that, from what I have heard, the Norwegian police do not **** about with speeding: they will fine you and that fine can be HUGE...

I say travel slower, see more.

Missing the whole country just to say you've been to Nordkapp might be a shame...

My 2p, but your trip.

Enjoy either way...

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I will look out after you.... and get the heck out of your way, when you race towards the north. :thumbright:

To bad we are expecting some really foul weather the comming seven days...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts