Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst doing an oil change today, I snapped the shorter of the 2 bolts that hold on the oil filter cover (I don't think I was using excessive force so am pretty upset). It's snapped about 5 mm inside the engine case.

I was thinking of taking it to the local (car) garage to see if they can get it out (I presume they have gadgets for that sort of thing). Can anybody tell me that this is a sensible thing do do? They won't stuff up the engine case will they?

Thanks in advance.

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
727 Posts
you need a thing called an "easyout" - its like a screw with an opposite thread - you need to drill a small hole and then wind it in - as you do this - it will in theroy wind out.. and hey presto...

theyre available from any half decent motor factors....

otherwise - do as you suggested and get someone else to do it for you...

good luck!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Most engine re-manufactures do this kinda thing and are set up for it, I had a sump plug done in place, just took the bike over to them.

If you fancy a go yourself get some LH twist drill bits (run the drill backwards) and they usually unscrew. Don't use an "easy out" as if it breaks off you will be in a whole world of hate...

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Take it to some body that knows what their doing as they ''can'' be pigs to get out.
I had a cam shaft stud break and had to use ever increasing size of drill bit to get it out as the Easy-Out just would'nt do it .
It was very hard to drill without drilling the thread but once you have a clear pilot hole it got easyier.
Have fun:cool:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Take it to some body that knows what their doing as they ''can'' be pigs to get out.
I had a cam shaft stud break and had to use ever increasing size of drill bit to get it out as the Easy-Out just would'nt do it .
It was very hard to drill without drilling the thread but once you have a clear pilot hole it got easyier.
Have fun:cool:
Agreed, i'm not a big fan of easyout's thery're ok on the same metals but dis-similar metals they can be a pain in the ass and you have an even bigger headache if you snap an easyout off. I tend to centre pop the remaining stud when they snap then start to drill with a 2.5 mm bit stepping up 1mm at a time until i'm within the tapping drill size of the bolt that needs to be removed, that way 9 times out of 10 when you wind a tap in the remainder of the broken bolt comes out looking like a helicoil can take time and patients

Just another thought if you can get your oil filter cover off can you put a pair of mole grips on the stud and then wind it out

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for the answers. Jason, you briefly got my hopes up but the bolt snapped well inside the cover. I didn't have the confidence to go down the drilling route given my past clumsiness...

The local garage weren't interested in helping so it was onto the trailer and up to the dealers who are taking care of it.

Cheers, Fulmar

1 - 6 of 6 Posts