Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when in situ which way does the starter motor pinion rotate mine is going clockwise, is this correct?
Can a starter motor have its polarity changed ?
when I took the cover off to sort a starting problem I started the engine no spark.
ALL Electrical components parts are working, and checked to be correct . New spark plug, coil works fine , cdi works fine ,pulsar coil new.
timing is spot on, valve clearances correct, battery good

your thoughts and ideas as always very welcome

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Can't remember about the starter but as long as the crank is turning clockwise on the rotor side you should be good.
I'm pretty sure you'd still see a spark if the engine rotated anticlockwise too.

·
Registered
695 Posts
..erm anticlockwise on the rotor side surely?
The starter shaft should spin clockwise as you look at it. It goes through two reduction gears, each gear reverses the direction, so if the crank is going anti clockwise then two reversals gives you clockwise.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yes they do, so if the crank is spinning anti-clockwise the starter will spin clockwise.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes they do, so if the crank is spinning anti-clockwise the starter will spin clockwise.
THANKS GUYS THATS WHAT I HAVE CRANK SPINS ANTI CLOCKWISE STARTER SPINS CLOCKWISE.
still no spark moving through connectors and earths now, all light/horn, instrument's panel lights burn as they should.

trying not to let it beat me

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
..erm anticlockwise on the rotor side surely?
The starter shaft should spin clockwise as you look at it. It goes through two reduction gears, each gear reverses the direction, so if the crank is going anti clockwise then two reversals gives you clockwise.
Bugga, was early in the morn, and don't call me Surley.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts