Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought somebody here might be able to help
Seems to be a lot of IT peoples on here :lol:
I have a pentium 4 ,3 gig ,1gig ram PC but everytime i or my kids want to play a game it dies.
First there are strange sounds coming from the box and then the game stops and the machine reboots.
I presume that the noise would be from my Graphics card(fan?) but with these specs i would have thought it should be fine. I am not talking new games either.Some of them are really old and it still packs up?
But when i use skype to speak to family in SA or Germany i don't have a problem,the Webcam runs ok.
So the question would be ,will i need a new card?

Oh the bad news is its a tiny computer :oops:
Help please :oops: :roll:

Thanks guys

·
Registered
649 Posts
Why do you suspect the graphics card?

Are you running windows XP? If so it re-boots whenever a fatal error occurs.

To turn this off goto Control Panel>Classic view>System>Advanced>Start up and recovery>Settings and untick the box for automatically restart.

You may then be able to see an error message next time it crashes.

Trying doing some other memory intensive stuff like playing a dvd and then browsing through it at high speed and see if it crashes then.

Also try un-installing the games, run scandisk(error checking) and re-install the games.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Also....if it's hardware then a faulty memory module is the most likely culprit.

If you're 1 gig of ram is two 512mb chips try removing one(from the slot marked DDR2) and see if the problem persits. If it does, swap the chips over making sure you have it in slot marked DDR1.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Or if you're hearing a noise inside the case then my bet is that its a fan that's shagged, said component is then overheating and its rebooting.

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
Lord Vader said:
I have a pentium 4 ,3 gig ,1gig ram PC but everytime i or my kids want to play a game it dies.
Ahhh I see your problem, pretty simple mistake really........get a playstation for games :mrgreen:

·
ignore the vain
943 Posts
Eeek tiny once phoned there techy office to find out if flashing the bios would allow me to run better sound they said yes first then when I did and it did not work they said they did not know :shock: In the end got a new motherboard.

Useless is not how I would describe there experts :shock:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Lord Vader said:
First there are strange sounds coming from the box and then the game stops and the machine reboots.
I presume that the noise would be from my Graphics card(fan?)
Thanks guys
Almost certainly a fa stalling, either the main CPU or the graphics card fan. Run the PC with the case off, see if you can identify which fan is stopping.

Use something like this: http://users.bigpond.net.au/cpuburn/downloads/CPU_burn-in.zip

To run the CPU at max load. If it behaves fine, without rebooting, then it sounds like the graphics card fan.

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all very much for your help
I will try out a few things you suggested

So if you don't hear from me for a few month,don't worry,i will be saving up for a new pc :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I had a similar problem. Eventually (after lots of trying and testing) the fault was overheating of the processor on the graphics card. I replaced the fan on the card (and the one in the midi tower case for good measure) and it has been fine since.

Unlike you though, I (i mean my son :oops: ) was running the latest graphics-intensive games.

The card is an ATI Radeon. Will stick to Nvidia on my next upgrade.

M

·
0 Posts
PC fault

Also check your power supply. Very common for this to go. Additional current from say, graphics card, or running PC in hot weather, and PC can shut down if overheating. Power supplies often have built in fan unit. That could be your fault, at source.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Re: PC fault

matt said:
Also check your power supply. Very common for this to go. Additional current from say, graphics card, or running PC in hot weather, and PC can shut down if overheating. Power supplies often have built in fan unit. That could be your fault, at source.
That would depend on if it just dies, and goes off, shutdowns controlled, or crashes, and reboots.

Vadar, when it shutsdown, how does it shutdown???

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry just did see the above question now
Aeehmmm well the screenjust goes black and my pc restarts in scan disc mode :? :? :shock: :?

·
Registered
424 Posts
In which case, it seems like the operating system is rebooting. Is this XP?

If so, change the option to show the error, rather than reboot.

Right Click on My Computer, Select Properties, Advanced Tab, Startup And Recover Settings, untick the Automatically Restart option.

When it errors it should not show an error, scribble this error down, and post it here.

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks mgillesie will do so later.this is my only day of and its not raining so i am going playing on my bike
there have to be some green lanes somewhere around here :lol: :lol:
ps. money is on the way :wink:
thanks

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
'er in doors the company resident computer geek says it sounds like a fan is f~cked (her words, she is so elegant..not)) and the chipset is tripping out (cooool mannn, pas da riefer) running graphics is one of the hardest tasks on a PC's system causing the chipset to 'warm up'...

personally id just thump it a few times and swear your head off, threaten to send the pile of c#ap to the nearest tip with the aid of a necular bomb and majically next morning it's all cleaned reset and works fine!!... :lol: , its good to be blonde!

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know that approach jenna,i normally use it as well.But i am not sure i could convince my lovely wife that our computer "fell" out of our first floor window

again :oops: :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey mgillespie,first time there was no message but also no reboot only my screen went black?
So i am running through all the things wich normally piss my pc off :lol:
Got the box open at the moment and can hear a distinct"whining"? noise,wich normally means its about to go popp :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yep,just went popp
Screen went black,rebooted,
All i did was to browse and run virus scan at the same time,but the same happens if i play a game

1 - 19 of 19 Posts