Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dunno which forum to post this in as it relates to a mountain bike frame (just like adventure bikes but without the engine! - for those less inclines to cycles!)

I have a bike that I have had for years and was my race bike, I'm a bit sentimental and would like to fix it rather than replace it!

I have put a couple of little cracks into the swingarm and wonder if anyone in the north west has the facilities and knowhow to weld aluminium!

I appreciate that it may be expensive and therefore potentially not worth doing, but if anyone could help at least I will know how much money/beer/pizza it will cost to fix!

thanks guys & gals

Z:D

·
Registered
41 Posts
hi chap, I work in structural aluminium every day. truth is if you are not planning to throw it down a mountain, do back flips or race it, the cheapest option is to silver-solder it: same as a plumber uses.

can be easily sanded and coated and is quite strong.

if you really want to weld it, the cheapest folks are aluminium window fabricators. may cost you a few cold ones !!
if you are stuck let me know and I will data base search out a company for you. :thumbup:

cheers. Boo:blob:

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi chap, i work in structural aluminium every day,truth is if you are not planning to throw it down a mountain,do back flips or race it the cheapest
option is to silver solder it,same as a plummer uses.
can be easily sanded and coated,and is quite strong.
if you realy wont to weld it the cheapest folks are aluminium window fabricators,may cost you a few cold ones !!
if you are stuck let me know and i will data base serch out a company for you. :thumbup:

cheers. Boo:blob:
is that solder as in blowtorch and solder like ya join pipes with?

I won't be doing the backflips - but it will be taking a few trips up and down mountains - snowdon is a winter favourite ride!

thanks for the tip tho!

L

·
0 Posts
Any metal fabricator should be able to do a quick tig job on the frame for a tenner..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts