Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a few questions about resizing images for the web whilst retaining quality so thought I'd do a very quick rundown on the steps required for the popular packages.
Photo editing is a bit of an art I have to say, but by following a few simple procedures you can do the basics.

Photoshop CS
It may be different in earlier version but probably not by much so give it a go.

Open the image.
Select View and Actual Pixels this will show you physically how large the image is. This depends on what megapixels your camera is. It will normally be quite large and you will have vertical and horizontal scroll bars.
Select Image and Image Size.
In this screen ensure constrain proportions is checked. The change the width to 800 if the image is longer in width than height otherwise change the height to 800 if its the other way!
You should see the image resize and get smaller but still hopefully very clear. If your image is already smaller than 800 width then leave it and don't change the image size.
Next we need to save the image.
Select File and Save for web.
On the next screen select JPEG from the drop down. You will notice a small > to the right of the preset drop down. Click this and then select optimise to file size and the enter 50k and ok.
Notice in the lower left hand corner the file type and the file size.
When these are right select Save and save your file.
You now just need to upload it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Photoshop CS
It may be different in earlier version but probably not by much so give it a go.
i have been using photoshop since version 4, and as far as i can remember it is the same in definitely version 5 and 6, if you are going to use the image for the web when you go to change the dimensions of the image, try changing the resolution at the bottom first, because all images are displayed at 72dpi when viewed on screen so it is pointless saving a file at 300dpi because when view the image on the forums they will still be viewed at 72dpi, lowering the resolution means that the file size will be a lot lower, but the image quality will also go down sadly... Hope that all made sense

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The following words produced by Zero.......

Trouble with pesky images from the internet is they are rarely the size you want them to be... for a properly sized avatar/sig or just making your image a reasonable size to fit on the board your on is not difficult.

Not wanting to be patronizing with this guide, just trying to keep it as simple as possible for anyone who isn't used to a pc.

The program i prefer is IRFANVIEW an image viewer with a few other handy features, such as optimizing images, resizing, cropping or saving to lower file sizes or different formats. Its also free.

At the moment the site is down unfortunately.
<Note - It seems to be there now. I'd recommend you get the latest version from www.irfanview.com directly>

www.irfanview.com

However you can still download the latest version from
(use the drop down bar for the full list of programs or search)

http://www.oldversion.com/

Anyways... This is what you do once your have your program installed.

First open your image.

Select the area of the picture you want for your final image, trimming the corners will avoid your avatar being all sky and the subject being too small to see. Then goto EDIT>CROP SELECTION on the top bar, or hold CTRL and push Y... this will leave only what you selected (note: using EDIT> UNDO will go back a step if you make a mistake)

Next step is to go to IMAGE>RESIZE/RESAMPLE, or hold CTRL and push R (note: As you can see you can also rotate your image here)

The red boxes are the picture size in pixels.
An avatar should be no bigger than 80wide80high, so enter 80 as one value and the other one will follow, if one is too high change that to 80 instead and it will adjust itself.
(note/optional: In the same box there are options for Size method, this is the way it resizes, change it to lancozos/slowest, this will give you a better quality end image.)

Last step, go to FILE>SAVE AS
Here you can save file as type - jpg or gif are generally the best to use, chances are you will not need to change it.
If you are saving as JPG you can alter the quality level, lower quality will make a smaller file size, avatars will probably be well within the limit, if not just open it and resave at a lower quality level.

(Note: Most graphics packages like photoshop or gimp work more or less exactly the same.)

Hope that helps anyone struggling wink
Thanks to Zero for producing this guide

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Top bannana thanks mate.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts