Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Crap Chinese (?) MIG welder, even crappier instructions, and a complete welding numpty with all of it in his hands!

Here is my immediate dilemma.

Front subframe/indicator mount broke a couple of weeks ago, and I promised myslef I would fix it with the MIG welder that's sat in my garage with no plug on it for well over a year.

I've got NO welding experience.

Anyway, it's a GAS / GASLESS unit, and I sorta get the jist of all the controls.

I've fed the gasless wire in and tesioned it OK I think. It feeds OK when I squeeze the trigger.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM and it's not covered in the crappy instructions.

I've got a thick cable and plug coming out the front of the unit, and there are two places I can plug it into. One says GAS the other says NO GAS, so that should be fairly obvious. What I want to confirm is, does the earthing cable go into the opposing socket (so the one marked gas) when I'm working the welder with no gas and fluxed wire??????

I hope I've made myself clear?

The subframe has been taken off the bike, and the broken ends cleaned up nice and shiny with a wire brush on a drill.

QUICK ANSWERS PLEASE IF POSSIBLE.:confused:

Thanks

Bob :thumbup:

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Hi Bob,

not sure of the correct answer for you - might tell u wrong and u electrocute yourself !

what about welding forum:

MIG Welding Forum

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
just done another quick search and then saw the pics of your welder. I think youre right - the front cable from the unit goes into the option you are welding - gas or gassless, and then your earthing cable goes into the spare open socket and then connected to the piece of work you are welding.

Good fun if its your first go !

Good luck

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
For gods sake practice for a while on something first ,only start to weld your bits once you are satisfied you can do it.
It's a pain to fix a bad weld ,so go slow and good luck

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
agreed - practice first, and dont forget to wear some leather gloves + i hope youve got a welding mask or goggles ????

SUNGLASSES wont work :toothy7:

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Oh and another thing - not sure if your welding on or off the bike ???????????????

If off - just do it in a safe place

If on the bike, i would unplug and remove the battery and disconnect reg/rect and CDI unit also make sure no sparks can get near the fuel tank + protect the rest of the bike as best you can.

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
be careful of those glow rats, they get in your socks down your kneck and the worst ones in your ears:confused:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
If you are still stuck at the weekend let me know and I will pop down and give you some instruction.

L

·
0 Posts
Gas (mig/tig) and gasless (Arc) wire requires reverse voltage to each other, so yes the earth cable should go in the opposite to the torch cable..

Just remember to totally remove the battery and reg/rec from the bike (and if you have electronic clocks unplug the lead for them as well) had one battery go pop on me before I learned that lesson ;)

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gas (mig/tig) and gasless (Arc) wire requires reverse voltage to each other, so yes the earth cable should go in the opposite to the torch cable..

Yo! exactly the answer I needed, Thank you :thumbright:

I shoulda just gone for it! It's now welded, grinded, painted, and back on the bike!

You probably wouldn't want to know I'd welded your space shuttle if you were an astronaut, but they're reasonably clean welds, and with a little bit of dressing with the grinder, I'm well happy with them.

Now for something bigger... yah hah haaaaaa !!!:teeth:

Thanks everyone, XRV to the rescue as usual. :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Having a closer look at the photos It looks like you are set correctly for gasless the earth plugs into the "NO GAS" socket

Just remember to totally remove the battery and reg/rec from the bike (and if you have electronic clocks unplug the lead for them as well) had one battery go pop on me before I learned that lesson ;)
I have actually blown an alternator as well from not ensuring every thing was unplugged.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Car or bike? Bike alternators (Generators) are insulated so should be fine..
It was on a CB125, I needed to weld the footpeg back on and took a shortcut.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i know chinese health and safety standards leave a lot to be desired, but surely it wont work if it was wrongly connected?

L

·
0 Posts
i know chinese health and safety standards leave a lot to be desired, but surely it wont work if it was wrongly connected?
It will still work, it'll instead effect the quality of the weld especially with gasless wire

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Bob. before you do anything, could you wait for a sunny afternoon when I can get down there. I'll organise myself a deck chair,a thermos of tea and a fire suit. Could be a reet o'l day out ! :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
I misread the title and thought it said Help!!! - Wedding Newbie......
What a waste of a thread... you should start one on under that title.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I misread the title and thought it said Help!!! - Wedding Newbie......
What a waste of a thread... you should start one on under that title.
BobA - always the bridesmaid, never the bride

1 - 20 of 20 Posts