Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok what have i done wrong.
Iv had the carbs off and fitted a new choke cable and plungers.
All seemed to go back to gether with no problems, sat the tank on and NOTHING AT ALL,turns over but is not firing so anyone got any ideas what iv broke or missed, every thing that came off has gone back on.

Im still in the garage now so if you have an idea please post soonest

Thanks Barry

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And now the batterys dead, going to stick with the trials bike at this rate
:confused:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
basics bazza...
check you have all the fuel lines where they should be .. no kinks....

also check you have not pulled any connectors off

if the carbs have been drained then the fuel will need to be pumped to prime them.. the fuel relay only energizes the pump while the bike is turning over ( its tied into the CDI/ecu )

charge the battery then try again..

pull the plugs and see if they are wet and that you are gettinga spark.. ( do this outside... sparks and petrol should only be mixed inside the motor )

good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Sounds like it's not getting a spark

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
kill switch???!!

I have never done that :hitler::confused::confused:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Deffo not kill switch, have had it appart and cant see anything out of the odinary, will try again tomorrow. How do i prime the carbs? or do i just turn till it fills and fires:confused:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Deffo not kill switch, have had it appart and cant see anything out of the odinary, will try again tomorrow. How do i prime the carbs? or do i just turn till it fills and fires:confused:

you can by-pass the fuel relay.. think its up front on the left handside of the cowl on the RD07? thats were it is on the RD03.

you put power to the centre pin in the connector.. a real dirty way ( not recommended by me :rolleyes: ) is to shove a screw driver in there to connect one of the outside pins with the centre..

the pins in the connector are
+12
fuel pump feed in the centre
and the other outside is a ground

so if you connect the centre to the wrong one nothing happens if you get the right one the pump will click away .. slowdown then stop when the carbs are fully charged

if you connect the two outer pins.. you blow a fuse :withstupid:

recommend you do it outside with a full risk assesment or get some one else to do it :hitler:

or you could make up a jumper lead

there is a test section in the manual

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
Bazza,

Check the fuel pump connector - it's easily nudged whilst fiddling with fuel lines when removing the tank. If the pumps not working and you've got less than a full tank of fuel, nothing will get to the carbs.

Just my ramblings.

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I removed the pipe on the pump and fuel pumped out when i turned it over, if that means anything.
I know im in the REME but im deffo no mechanic.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I removed the pipe on the pump and fuel pumped out when i turned it over, if that means anything.
I know im in the REME but im deffo no mechanic.

your pump & relay are working.. so you should be getting fuel to the carbs

check spark then give it another :toothy4:

keep at it Bazza your nearly there :blob2:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Seriously check the kill switch. Spray with with some ACF50 or WD40 and leave it.

Check you are getting a spark.

When I had this problem, once the kill switch had had a soak for an hour, the bike started with out the tank on, just using the fuel left in the hoses.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If i turn the kill switch off it dose nothing, turn on and it turns over, im getting into technical areas now and dont like it, but she has never been to a garage in 3 years and i aint starting now.

Ill start again tomorrow and start at the begining.

Thanks again

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SHE'S ALIVE.

Well charged the battery and stripped it down again and checked everything over and all was fine, so i decided to check the plugs, they were sutty as hell (supprise with the chock buggered) so cleaned them,heated them up and replaced and after about 10-15 seconds of turning cough splut and she came alive.
so i started with the rest, chain and sprockets replaced (went with a 43 tooth rear), speedo cable, rear rack bolts re-taped and one hell of a good clean.

Dont think the wife was to happy about the weekend in the garage but she run's like a dream now. Happy Days

Thanks Guy once again
Barry:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
:thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts