Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Unsure of the 'locktite solution but if the splines on the shaft have gone, what you can do is to 'weld' a new sprocket onto the output shaft. The engine is going too need a
complete strip and rebuild with a new shaft at some point, but the weld (if done properly) should give you a breathing space for what ever solution is best for you.
'I always ride my bikes with the front sprocket cover removed. That way I can keep an eye on it with just a glance'.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I've read several posts and followed the associated threads bot here on XRV and other for a about the wear, and repair on countershafts.

My AT came with a welded on sprocket, but my buddy from whom I inherited the bike inherited the stripped splines as well.

From what I see, it's one of those things caused by mostly not using the OEM Honda front sprocket, as well as running a chain a bit too tight.

Honda (or for that matter, any manufacturer...) tell you to 'always use original parts for best performance' and in the Honda V-Twin engine's case, I think that they mean it! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts