Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you did the trip report for the "PINK WAY ROUND" you posted a picture of MOMs bike, parked in a laybye, on the A78 just north of Largs.

When I passed that spot this morning (thats my daily commute road) there was a car WASHED OFF the road about 50 yards south of the laybye!!. The guy got out OK but the car was mashed by the waves !!!

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is the very spot !!

Just where the road crests and goes right in your picture was where the car got washed off the road by a wave. It made the BBC national news so there might be a picture on the web somewhere.

The car got pulled right through that metal fence !!!!

Green Subaru Estate for sale - one almost careful owner - just been washed !!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hello Jack ,Yes It was a bit breezy the other night, one of my friends ended up with a trampoline & wendy house in his garden,he's still trying to find the owners:)

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
Must have been a big wave from what I remember the water isn't that close to the road!

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
2,428 Posts
That's an awesome sky, well captured. Was that just point and shoot or had you some fancy setting on the camera. I never seem to snap pics like that.
IMHO, often necessary to have a filter to really get the sky, and that's more or less impossible on any kind of point and shoot, particularly in colour because the shop will probably say get a polarising filter and you have to turn those. BUT, when the light is right, any camera will catch most of it - usually needs to be lower light so that the camera opens up more, and more moisture in the air which has a filtering effect.

Having said that, it looks like the averaging being what it is on a basic camera - Sharribee's has calculated for the sky and not the people so that helps. When you shoot, point the camera into the sky and half press the button; if you're lucky, your camera will hold that exposure calculation, then point at your subject and shoot. You will of course have the same outcome as here - faces disappear in the shadows. Fill flash can sort that though so shoot one with flash and one without.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That is the very spot !!

Just where the road crests and goes right in your picture was where the car got washed off the road by a wave. It made the BBC national news so there might be a picture on the web somewhere.

The car got pulled right through that metal fence !!!!

Green Subaru Estate for sale - one almost careful owner - just been washed !!!
I saw this on the national tv news last night. The car looked like it had taken a nasty beating by the wind/waves. The driver said he was lucky to get out of the car via one of the broken car windows.

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Must have been a big wave from what I remember the water isn't that close to the road!
Tides MOM. Your picture looks like the the tide is about half way. When the tide is at full height it's about 4-5 feet from the spot you were parked.

So it does not take much at full tide to swamp the road, there are gates in Largs and Skelmorlie that the police close when conditions combine to make the road dangerous - but the section is about 6 miles long and there are a number of side roads , so people can still get on to the road between the gates.

I've been held up loads of times but the closure is only about +/- 1 hour of full tide. Then there is the strange sight of a convoy of vehicles traveling along the road behind a snowplough - clearing seaweed not snow !!!

·
DILLIGAF
1,685 Posts
Jack, sounds to me like you have one hell of an interesting commute :cool:

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
Tides MOM. Your picture looks like the the tide is about half way. When the tide is at full height it's about 4-5 feet from the spot you were parked.

So it does not take much at full tide to swamp the road, there are gates in Largs and Skelmorlie that the police close when conditions combine to make the road dangerous - but the section is about 6 miles long and there are a number of side roads , so people can still get on to the road between the gates.

I've been held up loads of times but the closure is only about +/- 1 hour of full tide. Then there is the strange sight of a convoy of vehicles traveling along the road behind a snowplough - clearing seaweed not snow !!!

Ah I thought it was a landlocked loch, didn't realise it was tidal. Should have used a map as well as a GPS :rolleyes:

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah I thought it was a landlocked loch, didn't realise it was tidal. Should have used a map as well as a GPS :rolleyes:
Aye it's the Firth of Clyde - go to the end - turn right - next stop Nova Scotia !!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts