Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first post here... apologies in advance for the rambleing..

I don't (yet) own any variation xrv (yet!) at the moment i am the prowd owner of a cx500 (fwaaar eh?) its actualy great, strong pulling engine, cheep to run, refuses to die (though mine is kept in as good condition as possible) and shockingly comfortable!

however it had a couple of shortcomeings, not its fault it is 20yeas old and certainly no worse than anything else of its age.. pushing its handleing capabilitys is for the very brave or very stupid, i try not to... it doesn't handle badly with a pillion but power is diminshed so much overtakeing is not really worth doing (could be but i'm not prepared to accept "maybe i can get through") its squirmy carictaristics are begining to take the fun out of my rides now iv'e been rideing a couple of years and i'm used to it.

Ok on with the questions (that iv'e thought of up to now)

First thing is, i'm 5'8, the cx i have is easyly manageble, big trialies allways look a bit on the high up side to me but i guess it varies...

Serviceing? how much can be done by the typical home mechanic? this is fairly imprtant, to do my fork seals at the shop costs £90 excludeing the seals... i can do it myself without much difficulty, but then the cx is a simple beastie. i get the imression these kinds of bikes should be the kind you can take apart at the side of a road and fashon a fix with some mud damp twigs and selotape... maybe not but you know what i mean...

I know its probably not the coolest bike about well as far as "mates down the pub" are concerned, i have very different tastes in motorcycles to most bikers i know (i'm sorta used to that though) but i like a stuuuurdy bike that will cope with with what is jokeingly called roads arround here, and maybe some semi greenlaneing?

Eventually (when i'm finished uni) i want to do some propper traveing, north europe and whatnot, maybe further afield sometime in the future... but not alone i suspect, i realise more power is better if your carrying two but i'd learn to cope with it, also insureance and intial cost would be a bit too much to go for a litre bike.

So what do you think of them? how much would i be looking at for a good example?

Cost is i'm affraid a significant issue, my cx wont fetch allot and i'm not sure how much my less than extensive buget would cover...

Thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
I personally do not findsports bike riders cool, Now the AT is cool, in a ugly sort of way. As you can see by this forum many riders use the AT for touring. As for servicing it is fairly easy, it takes me a afternoon, the front plug is the worst part as one of the rads needs to be moved out of the way. Secondhand ones might hard to find.

You will find this forum helpful, when you have problems.

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
zero said:
I don't (yet) own any variation xrv (yet!) at the moment i am the prowd owner of a cx500 (fwaaar eh?) its actualy great, strong pulling engine, cheep to run, refuses to die (though mine is kept in as good condition as possible) and shockingly comfortable!
Zero,

The BIG trip doesn't necessarily need a BIG bike - check out this site which chronicles the travels of a mate of mine, Ron Grant. He rode around USA on a Bultaco 250, Central Am on another 250, South Africa on a GL500, Scandanavia on my GS750, etc, etc.

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~ultspnch/

For further inspiration and lore on alternative bikes check out

http://www.adventure-motorcycling.com (and get your Uni library to get a copy of Chris Scott's Adv. M/C Handbook - the overlanders bible)

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com - Try to get to the travellers meeting next year. It's a great weekend and you will be warmly greeted whatever you ride; I went on my red TDM850 this year (the only one, though there was a TDM900 a few tents away).

Be warned - doing any of the above will make the travel itch much, much worse! :twisted:

If your heart's set on a AT, and why not it's a great bike, check out Ebay as well as the suggestions above. I got my AT off there, but you need to be quick they are in high demand. It will feel higher but probably not as bulky as the CX but seats can be lowered (and made more comfortable :lol:). If you can service your CX, you can service an AT - though that front left plug is a b*gger :wink:

Just get a bike that's right for you, and consider the possibility that you've already got it :!:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys :)

Meetup would be ace, will give you all a laugh at least :p i'll look at my busy studenty schedule and see what i can do :D

Don't get me wrong i really do love my cx, but as a good 50% of the time my girlfriend is on with me the extra weight (ahh the internet, saying this sort of thing out loud is enough to get you thrown out of a window) can throw the handleing off and the power loss is pritty significant, just makes it allot of effort pulling away from traffic up hills e.t.c. which is a shame, the power is more than enough for myself (its suppriseingly nimble for 230kg) but then its at 6500rpm in top gear all the way on the motorway (redlines at 9ish) thats sans passenger...
i'm after a fork brace that should improve things, maybe stiffen up the front end a bit...

I had thought of touring america at some point, buying a gl (650 or anything biger) and rideing it as long and as far as possible then selling, even if i ditched it it would be waaaaay cheeper than renting one!

Ray - i might just take you up on that offer provided i have enough petrol to get me there by the end of the week, much appreciated :)

I suppose what i want is something with all the cx's good points and none or at least less of it's bad..

good being

cheep (or at least good price for what you get)
bags of carracter
easy to maintain (without a degree in mechanical engineering and thousands of pounds worth of equipment)
sensible parts costs
good strong pulling relyable engine
comfy enough to ride all day long

bad points

bendy frame means its not as composed as i'd like it to be.
suspension is again not all that hot :/
just a little underpowered two up
hard luggage is nigh on impossible to get, unless i make it myself :/
wind protection is minimal, certainly makes more than 200miles on the motorway hard work.

The only thing about the at is... chain drive.. shudder, shaft drive is the way of the future (ducks) but i guess with carefull checking they would be fine and you can allways carry a spare and the tools right? yeh i know chains weigh less but... anyone who has owned a shaft drive bike would know :p

A good thing though, might be able to exploore some of derbys less servere green lanes or trials, is this a good/bad idea? maybe on road tyres but i'm i'm feeling flash i could swap them over and even get some off road wheels :D

Thanks again for reading, iv'e got allot to ponder...

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
hi from another newbie, you have got to get yourself one of these AT's i joined this site a few weeks ago listend in asked some questions , took it all on board and went and baught one . every time i ride the AT it just gets better . i came from a diet of big retros and manic sports bikes. an AT well ridden will put the frightners on a sports bike in the twistys , as my mates have found out much to there embarasment and you can go anywhere on it in comfort . ive found all that out and ive only had mine 5 days . another thing is these guys seem to know there onions when it comes to the AT and are helpfull . bonus !!!! you wont regret it. :D :D :D

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Zero
I got mine off ebay too, worth a look, but you might have to travel, there are one or two guys on this forum from Derbyshire and round about, I'm from Macclesfield originally so right on the border and have ridden at least a couple of good loops round Buxton, Chesterfield, Bakewell and of course Matlock (meet every other biker in the world there on a bank holiday monday).
I'm 5'10" and getting on a bit, when I first got the AT I struggled to push it back while sitting on it, but I now find it easy (boots with heals help :oops: ), you will have to get used to stopping with your left foot down and your right on the rear brake on hills though!
All adds to the fun and you won't believe the view from up here! :D

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
I somehow don't think Zero's still in the market guys - the original post is over a year old. I believe he plumped for a TA judging by his posts in the TA forum.

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Hah thanks Jim? :oops: sneaky trick having an august in every year!

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
DOH !!! :oops: :oops: :oops: you do have to squint to see the date though :roll:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts