Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
There are differences, so be careful.[URL="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XENON-HID-Light-Conversion-Honda-Deauville-NT-650-/380226924987?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item58874a71bb#ht_6390wt_694] this [/URL] is the one I have on my bike.

·
Registered
224 Posts
There are lots of cheap ones on the market but these are made for bikes,i have heard a lot of bmw owners use them.

HID50

Personally i would'nt bother i had them fitted to an XT660R and they made no difference at all ,they show a bright white light up against a garage door or similar but in the real world they dont light up and more of the road than standard lights ,yes they are a little brighter but only to oncoming traffic .

I would go with a seperate set of spots or something and they can be bought for a lot less money :thumbright:

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Typical disclaimer on a HID seller's listing:

Please Note that we do not claim to be legal experts and can give no advice as to the legality of operating any HID conversion (35 watt or 50 watt) or any other lighting modification due to the widely varying road regulations in different regions and countries. Anyone who does claim to be able to give you any definitive answer is talking through his/her hat. As with any aftermarket accessory, its up to the buyer to determine how he uses the HID kit. For the record, we sell HIDs for show or off road and farm use, underwater lighting, photographic and film lighting.
Here's the legal blurb:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

Basically you need to source an ECE approved headlight unit designed and tested with a HID light source. You won't find one for the TA. You'll also need to tell your insurance company if you plan on using it on the road rather than underwater or any of the other uses given by the seller.

Yes, you can buy them on eBay and they are brighter. Why don't mainstream manufacturers supply kits? Because they are not legal without converting the entire headlamp. According to the disclaimer, the Department for Transport is talking through its hat. Now who do we believe...

·
Registered
897 Posts
I would go with a seperate set of spots or something and they can be bought for a lot less money :thumbright:
Just got the standard setup on mine, but would fit spots if I wanted more simply because it gives you an alternate light source if the main bulb blows.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts