Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All - New member here, Ste - but been lurking for a while and thought it about time to register! :)

I'm in the final stages of adding HID lights to my Domie. Has anyone else done this mod and where have you placed the ballast? I've been thinking of using velcro and putting it where the log book is supposed to go behind the lefthand farring - seems to be very securely held though you wouldn't think it!!

The kit I've used is not ideal as it only has HID for the main beam and a standard halogen for the low - don't know if there is an alternative H4 bulb in this configuration - but I expect the night riding difference to be substantial anyway judging by the results on my other bikes.

Cheers
Ste

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
I've just put half of a cheap set for cars in my GS. The ballast is quite big, but you should be able to get it tucked away somewhere in the fairing, there's enough space. Possibly underneath the headlight behind the little grill...

I've just bolted it to a fairing panel, so it's got 2 hex heads on the outside now, but then I don't care about how it looks. ;-)

It works well though! Immensely bright light, and it's only 4300K which is as warm a colour as is commonly available. (The rest gets blue pretty quickly, which is nice for the backwards-hats-crowd, but not for me...)

·
What did I do that for...
468 Posts
What the hell is all this talk of ballast ? :confused:

Can someone enlighten me, please :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good , let us know how it goes , do you ride at night much ?
Pictures ?
What year is yourt Domi ?
Hi Keef,

Been doing quite a bit of riding back from Wales to Merseyside during the last few months and found that the standard lights on the Domie could do with improving once I got on the unlit 'B Roads' etc.

My Domies are both R registered but one is a V and the other is a T model, both Italian made.

I'll get round to posting some pictures of the with and without HID if I can figure out how to post them.

I've only some tidying up of the electrics to do - where the new lights use the original light socket to take the power feed from - Probably need to dispense with the old headlamp socket and just solder in and insulate the wires. - nearly there!

Ste

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi
I don't know what year R registered is ? I'm in Australia , my Domi is a 95 model , made in italy as well!
It's my first ever bike , taking up riding at the tender age of 40 :)

Would love to see pictures if you work out how to post them.
Good luck with the mod , there seems to be planty of room behind the flaring , but I wouldn't want to be bolting anything on there.
I don't plan to do much night riding , but you never know , I'm just doing short trips south of Sydney so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts