Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time I saw Chad's bike I saw his HID headlight and was mighty impressed. Does anyone know if the Canbus wiring of the 1200 can take HID as a straight plug in. I know I could do it with a relay but is there enough oomph available to get the lamp up and running without the thing tripping?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Em,,,, I think you're asking on the wrong forum mate!

Now,,,, if it had been an Africa Twin or perhaps a Varadero half a dozen folk would have been along to give you the info you require!

Starting to feel sad about the move to BMW yet? Ha ha!

Sorry mate, too much Grouse tonight, haven't a clue, but the Vara's got great headlights!

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Em,,,, I think you're asking on the wrong forum mate!

Now,,,, if it had been an Africa Twin or perhaps a Varadero half a dozen folk would have been along to give you the info you require!

Starting to feel sad about the move to BMW yet? Ha ha!

Sorry mate, too much Grouse tonight, haven't a clue, but the Vara's got great headlights!
Boris young lad Ignore the underlings, yes you can fit HID's to the GSA, IF you PM Mike (mables old man )he can help you he has fitted them on his new bike.

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
i've got em on my 1150 and they rule!

Z:D

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
Yep the canbus will take HIDs as a straight plug in. I fitted these.

I'm still trying to adjust the beam because they're so bright cage drivers can get dazzled :D

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys,
I've dropped Les a note as I assume his prices are for both bulbs (they better be as they are about three times the price of ebay) and I only actually want to convert the dipped beam for now as I hear they take a couple of seconds to fire up.

Have you guys done one or both lamps?

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
Thanks Guys,
I've dropped Les a note as I assume his prices are for both bulbs (they better be as they are about three times the price of ebay) and I only actually want to convert the dipped beam for now as I hear they take a couple of seconds to fire up.

Have you guys done one or both lamps?

I've done both but to be honest I very rarely use the main beam.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bloody norah... Just got a reply from Les. I asked if he could so a single bulb conversion as I didn't want to do the main beam and I assumed the kits he was selling has 2 of everything and were for both dipped and main beams.

hid50.com said:
yes I do a Plug and Play kit for the GSA, which includes a Canbus friendly 50 watt ballast attached to a custom ss bracket, a H7R bulb new BMW light cap all drilled and the bulb fitted, walk through fitting instructions.

Cost £160 plus £9 post with TNT.
So it's £169 for 1 bulbs worth of bits. I was prepared to pay premium but that stings a bit. Especially as people are reporting good things about this lot H7 HID Conversion Kit : VVME.COM, Car Parts, HID KIT, Tattoo Kit, Ballast, Bulbs and even the most expensive setup with the slim ballasts is £34 for two of everything so £17 each). Or have I, as usual, missed something [1].

[1] Yes I know the ballast draws a similar amount to a standard lamp and there is a bracket and a drilled cap in the expensive kit, but they can't be the bulk of the kit price wise. Or can they?

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
Bloody norah... Just got a reply from Les. I asked if he could so a single bulb conversion as I didn't want to do the main beam and I assumed the kits he was selling has 2 of everything and were for both dipped and main beams.

So it's £169 for 1 bulbs worth of bits. I was prepared to pay premium but that stings a bit. Especially as people are reporting good things about this lot H7 HID Conversion Kit : VVME.COM, Car Parts, HID KIT, Tattoo Kit, Ballast, Bulbs and even the most expensive setup with the slim ballasts is £34 for two of everything so £17 each). Or have I, as usual, missed something [1].

[1] Yes I know the ballast draws a similar amount to a standard lamp and there is a bracket and a drilled cap in the expensive kit, but they can't be the bulk of the kit price wise. Or can they?
I paid about £140 for the pair I think (from Les). You don't really need the stainless bracket or the drilled light cover. For a long time my ballasts were cable tied to the crash bars under the beak. It's a simple job to drill the black plastic bulb covers to take the burners.

The advantages of Les' is that it is literally plug and play with the wiring.

Just taken from his website

How much does a kit cost ?
Ultra-50 kits in H1, H3, H7 or H11 fitments, in 5000K or 6000K are £159.00 plus p&p
Ultra-35 kits in H1, H3, H7 or H11 fitments, in 5000K or 6000K are £119.00 plus p&p
KTM kit … an Ultra-50 kit with 1 H3 and 1 H7 bulb in 6000K only are £164.00 plus p&p (for

What’s included?
A HID50 kit consists of two high performance 50 watt waterproof ballasts and two 50 watt UV shielded burners.

Our Ultra Thin HID Kits need no brackets, but do come with screws, cable ties and an installation guide. This is all that is required to mount the kit, tho custom brackets are available (see details on installation page) and Dual Lock industrial velcro is also available for the easiest ballast fitting option.
The kits are all pre tested before leaving the factory.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
aye les's kits are the best ive seen to date:thumbup: as mike says plug n playSimples:iconbiggrin:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I've just spent the last hour or so fitting a HID to the low beam of my GSA. I ended up taking a punt on ebay and bought a car kit. 55W (6000K) with slim ballasts.

I found it easier to take out the headlamp unit and clocks and work on it on the bench. The slim ballast is bolted using the supplied bracket behind the right hand cover (the one with the BMW badge on it) above the space for the charcoal filter. There should be room for another assuming the wires are long enough if I decide to fit the main beam.

Started the bike and it works with no lamp failure warnings on the dash. Blooming bright even in daylight and I think I now know what arc eye feels like. I'll go out tonight and see what the beam pattern is like but so far it seems to be the deal of the century.

I'll update as I learn more.

What's in the box. (well there are two of what you see here along with some brackets I forgot to photo)

Headlamp removed

Back of headlamp once HID fitted

Ballast Location

and

It works.

Way brighter than before and whiter then the fog lamps.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
And now you too will get that feeling of disappointment whenever you flick on the main beam only to have the road bathed in a dirty weakish yellow glow. ;-)

I've got an H4-2 HID kit on the GS, which is HID low and a tiny halo main. Fitted an extra Hella, still disappointing. Still trying to get round to fitting the H4-bi that's been sitting in the shed since last year... :roll:

Oh yeah, and get ready for complaints from mates about it being too bright in their mirrors... Whether the light is actually blinding or not (the adjustment on mine won't go lower), some people will have a moan about it no matter what.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And now you too will get that feeling of disappointment whenever you flick on the main beam only to have the road bathed in a dirty weakish yellow glow. ;-)
Fortunately the 1200 has 2 H7 so the low beam stays on along side the high beam. I will probably do the high beam as well but I'll wait a while to prove the reliability of the kit before committing.

Oh yeah, and get ready for complaints from mates about it being too bright in their mirrors...
Me behind them? Never.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Me behind them? Never.
Trust me, it happens occasionally. ;-)

The HID was especially nice during an event when at 4 AM the headlight on bike #1 broke and only rider #1 knew where we were going... Enough light to ride by if I stuck close behind. Only tight corners were a bit hair raising, apparently. ;-)

(That's not blinding now is it?)

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These are so good I couldn't wait and have fitted the main beam aswell. I was out for a two or three hours last night and for the first couple of hundred meters in front of me it was like daytime. Even when wearing my tinted visor it was still super clear and bright.

Only one car flashed me while I was accelerating from a stop on an unlit road. Not really unexpected as I had the suspension set to soft at the time which causes the bike to bob about a bit so a thumbs up there also.

The fitting was just as easy as before but this time the ballast was neater fitted in the same location but on the other side. Main beam doesn't add a great deal over the now fabulous dipped beam but the difference is nevertheless still noticeable.

As before, with the kit is canbus friendly, there are no signs of and lampf (lamp failure) messages.

10/10 :thumbup:

I may end up importing these as they are a good bit cheaper than the ones available in the UK. They are CE and E marked appear to be well made with good fitting multi layer gasketed connectors that should keep everything bone dry.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fitted my kit today.
Not sure what the quality of the kit is gonna be like but they were free.
(Mate of a mate buys vans/wagons some kits left in one he bought)
Started by making a bracket.

Attached that to the light bar robbed some thick cable ties from work:angel5:

They do not seem too blinding,just more noticeable.

also fitted LED indicators £16 all in F&R off Ebay (China)

Now........................................find me some dark tracks :rolleyes:

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
looking good:thumbup: thats a **** off bunch o ballasts right there:D:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts