1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.
Seeing a lot of bikes for sale with over 80000miles on the clock
How long do they usually last??

Just wondering if I got a high miler are newer engines easy to find or will just a full overhaul do them?
Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have just bought one with over 5o k on the clock, regular service but no doubt used to its potential & it is fine, if it has had good services, not been thrashed or courier work in town, it should be good for 200k, I talked to a deuville 700 owner who has 240k on the clock without the engine needing work, other than a clutch.
I would think from what I have seen a used motor will be £400 or there about, maybe a tad more for low millage.
If the bike starts from cold without smoke or sounding like a rat in a biscuit tin, gears are smooth, & cycle parts good, & the seller has a plausible tale it's worth a look, at a very reduced price, ( mine was £2000).
Having said all that, there are a good few low millers out there too.

I should add mine is the 700 on an 09.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Hey all.
Seeing a lot of bikes for sale with over 80000miles on the clock
How long do they usually last??

Just wondering if I got a high miler are newer engines easy to find or will just a full overhaul do them?
Thanks
Tjey are good for decent mileage but why buy one when sub 30k milers can be had for well under 2ķ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My budget will be about £1200 when I do my tests and sell my baby dero.
Mechanic by trade so don't mind doing some work
Just wanted to see what the max mileage they get.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I think the 600 TA will go to 100,000, but... around the 50,000 mile mark it starts to need valve cover gaskets replacing and can also start jumping out of gear due to wear on the gearbox. I have had two 600 TAs and both have done this.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
My budget will be about £1200 when I do my tests and sell my baby dero.
Mechanic by trade so don't mind doing some work
Just wanted to see what the max mileage they get.
Keep your eye out.
Mine has done 80k generally hard miles & is mechanically sound bit does feel a bit rough. If it has been winter commuted the electrics will be potentially troublesome.
I recently missed out on a nice 25k one with a coolant leak, for under 1200 so they are out there if you watch & wait ;)

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
If you dont mind going to Germany there are loads for sale well within your budget.
The Transalp was popular in all of europe and the Germans really look after their bikes and tuck em away in the winter in heated basements and garages.
Here is a link you might want to look at. :thumbup:

Suchergebnisse: Motorrad-Angebote bei mobile.de
And with a strong pound, even bigger bargains to be had in Euroland....

Interesting site to browse too:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
for £1200 you could pick up a peach of an ntv 650 with less than 20000 miles done . im talking like brand new . I bough one with 68000 miles on the clock and it was purring like a kitten I rode it for a couple of years and got my money back on it with almost 80000 miles done . ok so they don't have the whole dual sport thing going on but the wheels don't turn to powder and they have shaft drive and tubeless tyres so you can mend punctures yourself on the side of the road in the dark and the rain if you have the minerals . they are a bit quicker than a transalp 600 too and handle great . you can get your road racing freak on with them too and have twice the fun you would on a Fireblade commute all trough winter and tour Europe on them in the summer . I like transalps as much as the next bloke but my next bike will most lightly be another ntv 650 . I wont have a lot of dosh to lay out and I want the best bang for my buck . I want a mint low mileage bike that keeps on going and going trouble free year in year out with the minimum of maintenance that is easily done by the home mechanic with simple tools . still the old transalp are a grand bike but you wont get very low miles and value for money and practicality in a road bike like you will with a pampered ntv 650 that has been cherished by its mature owner for the last how ever many years the miles put on gently on dry roads . :thumb::thumbright:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had a 650 with 90000 ish when I traded it and to be honest It was a little tired, but I expect there was still a good few more miles in it, they do carry their miles well if they are looked after........problem is other bits start to need replacing, which on these bikes is not such a big issue, just time and a little money....if you are doing it yourself.

I only traded it as I lost a key and went to my local dealer for a new one to be programmed (Bloody HISS :D). Whist there I spied a pre-reg 700 with 14 miles on the counter. The saleswomen ! could not resist having a chat......end result and after much haggling, as I was still happy with the 650, I had a deal......Mind you it was late November and the weather was shite so I expect they were desperate for a sale.....strange I always seem to buy bikes in the winter :rolleyes:

Personally I would take a look at a few examples (and their owners) to get a feel for what you can get for your money.

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts