Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all.
I'm after some advise about a high mileage 59 (first registered 2010) transalp. It's an instructor's bike, which explains the high mileage, and has been properly serviced because he is also a reputable dealer. Clutch was done at 60.000, and fork seals, but I'm wondering what else I should look out for? I'm very nervous about buying such a high mileage machine but have heard they are good for much more than this. It's going to cost roughly the equivalent of £2600, including my old 1988 transalp but does have 3 months warranty.
Would very much appreciate your thoughts as I'm hoping to make the decision in the next couple of days. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd ask for the front sprocket to be removed to inspect the splines on the gearbox output shaft.
I presume you mean the gearbox would have had a hard time? Don't think they would want to go to that sort of trouble but it's a good thought and I could ask, thanks for that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I presume you are paying 2600 as well as your px bike ?
Surely there are plenty of other bikes at a similar price to choose from with less miles

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I presume you are paying 2600 as well as your px bike ?
Surely there are plenty of other bikes at a similar price to choose from with less miles
It's £2000 plus the trade-in, which is my limit really. I thought that was pretty cheap for a Transalp XL700 VA. The reason I'm going for something like that is because I have back problems, and it's pretty comfortable. Thought about a TDM but other than a Triumph Tiger, not much else seems to fit. I'm a little reluctant to go that big already because I'm just getting back on the bike after an 18 year break.
I'm not wrong in thinking high mileage is a worry then?
I'm happy to go for something older but the ABS appeals because I want to do a bit of touring around the country. Managed to do 1800 miles leisure riding since November, so hoping to just progress with the quality of the bike.
Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's £2000 plus the trade-in, which is my limit really. I thought that was pretty cheap for a Transalp XL700 VA. The reason I'm going for something like that is because I have back problems, and it's pretty comfortable. Thought about a TDM but other than a Triumph Tiger, not much else seems to fit. I'm a little reluctant to go that big already because I'm just getting back on the bike after an 18 year break.
I'm not wrong in thinking high mileage is a worry then?
I'm happy to go for something older but the ABS appeals because I want to do a bit of touring around the country. Managed to do 1800 miles leisure riding since November, so hoping to just progress with the quality of the bike.
Thanks for the feedback.
That's reasonable then. I thought you meant 2600 plus your bike. Corrosion is another thing to look out for, but mine had it after 2 years. It's only surface rust on spokes etc so probably nothing to worry about. The other downside is the frequency of valve clearance checks, about 12k I think, and a £300 job. Other than that, a great bike.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
I presume you mean the gearbox would have had a hard time? Don't think they would want to go to that sort of trouble but it's a good thought and I could ask, thanks for that.
No it's not the gearbox having a hard time it's wear on the splines on the shaft caused by having the chain too tight or fitting cheap after market sprockets. It's an easy check - two screws on the sprocket cover and the gear lever to remove. The sprocket should have some float in and out to keep it aligned with the chain but little or no movement against the splines on the shaft. The splines should have nice clean defined shoulders, if it looks worn it probably is and the only fix is a new one involving a complete engine strip down.

I would look at forks for pitting, spokes and rims for corrosion, fit and finish of all plastics and trim, peruse all screws, nuts and bolts for signs of ham fisted maintenance, check the original toolkit is included , especially the plug spanner. Finally if anything is bent, scraped or damaged like levers, hand guards, or indicators get them replaced.

Hope it works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Oh one other thing, pull the brakes fully on and release then try and spin each wheel. Should spin freely, if not there will corrosion in the calipers causing brake drag. Not which calipers the 700 has with abs but caliper corrosion is a common problem across the Honda range.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks very much for your replies. I'm taking it out for a good test run tomorrow and will spend some time having a good poke around. It's good to have a place to ask things like this. Thanks again all, much appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
XL700 in MCN classifieds for £2850 ono. 18k, fsh, loads of extras with bike. surely worth a look

Honda XL700V TRANSALP VA-8 (2008) Motorcycles for sale | 7586408 | MCN
Thanks for that. The big problem that I have is that I can't go that high without a trade in on my bike. It's really frustrating because it always seems as though £500 will get a lot more bike for the money. Wish I could stretch my budget but it's at it's maximum. Took it out for a ride yesterday and it rides really nicely, with the exception of the gearbox being a bit clunky, the front wheel and bottom of the forks are very corroded (looks like salt damage, but that's a guess), but all the rest is cosmetic and I could live with that. A serious thinking pose needs to be struck. Thanks again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i understand if you have,nt got the money fair enough.
But if the the guy selling the XL700 is a dealer and he offered £600 for your old alp isn,t it going to be worth a bit more to sell on
could,nt you get £600/700 on ebay or here for a quick sale.
another thing that would worry me is. as you put more miles on the bike it might be difficult to sell on should you wish.
A 60k XL700 was on here a month or two ago when I was looking for £1950 and I don,t recall any big rush,it,s maybe even still for sale.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Yeah, to add to what has been said.....
It doesn't sound a great buy. How much will it be worth in a few years & another 10-20k. Yeah the bike may be up to it but the price has got to reflect that.
If you don't have the dosh, save.
Need to the cash from your bike sell it privately (if thats feasibke)

Phil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts