Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
I am pretty sure I read about this guy and his bike recently in MSL or some other rag. He and his bike were still going strong and he still lead tours on the continent. What a guy, what a bike. :p

This thread brought something else to mind for me its not transalp mileage (hope you don't mind) but its the highest mileage bike I have ever known ------- In 1988 I went to yugoslavia with a party of bikers led by a man called Stuart Jenkinson, he rode a vincent black prince which he bought new in the 1950s.
His vinny had covered 420,000 miles and one of the big ends was still original! he was 62 at the time and he told me he was hoping to clock up the half million before he packed in riding, I never did know if he managed it.
My bike at the time was a ex constabulary BMW R80RT which cruised down the autobahn in germany at a good 90MPH, Stuart passed me doing a good 30MPH faster! mind you everything else passed me as well including a transporter van

Chris

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
On a biking holiday in the 80's, the bike club I belonged to took over a local pub ( 3 of us to every 1 local) a local decided one night to bring his Vincent in, it made the bikes of the day look rubbish.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Transalp #1, '87/88 'D' - (my brothers - I couldn't afford the insurance at the time...) - bought at 40,000, sold 45,000 (ish), needed nothing except the starter relay contacts cleaning & a new rear rim.

Transalp #2, '91 'J' - purchased around 11,000, sold (regrettably...) around 25,000, only required service items & the choke cable lubed/free'd off

Transalp #3, '95 'N' - purchased with around 7,000, sold (regrettably) around 32,000, only required service items, however had an irregular top end knock/rattle when cold/partially warm, that, turned out to be incorrect pilot jet settings. Fine when they had been set correctly.

Transalp #4, '02 (650) - purchased at 3 yrs old/6,800 miles, currently 63,000, only required service items -: lots of rear brake pads, 1 set of front pads (at 55k), on it's 3rd C&S kit, 1 headlight & 1 taillight & 1 instrument cluster bulb(s), new silencer (this year due to corrosion, however a baffle came loose inside at around 25k & needed surgery to remove it) & the rear wheel was respoked this winter - probably overstressed on our 2 up trip to Greece.
This one won't be sold :thumb:

Transalp #5, '00 (or is it '01...) 650, purchased 3 years ago (can't remember mileage (circa 12,000) as the original (smashed) clocks are in the loft, now done a few more (again, not sure!). I new set of rear pads.

All have run sweet as a nut & never missed a beat :angel5:
I see a pattern emerging :D

Phil

Ooops, just remembered. Alp No 3 had new head bearings just before I sold it, the original (lower) race was rotten - prob been steam cleaned at some point.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've owned my 2003 from new, and its approaching 52k.

Major items replaced

1. Silencer - a few years back due to corrosion..
2. New clutch at 40k
3. New front discs - recently
4. New rear shock - recently
5. Replacement swingarm due to corrosion (check yours above cat.!) - recently
6. Secondhand front calipers some years back due to corrosion

A few sets of tyres
A few sets of chain/sprokets
Lots of front pads (one rear - who does that the other way round?!!!!)
Two speedo drives
New spokes on rear wheel
3 or 4 clutch cables
Plus service items.

Runs sweet, I'll probably keep for a couple of years to recoup lots of money recently spent, then change for a 700. We'll see.......!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
This thread brought something else to mind for me its not transalp mileage (hope you don't mind) but its the highest mileage bike I have ever known ------- In 1988 I went to yugoslavia with a party of bikers led by a man called Stuart Jenkinson, he rode a vincent black prince which he bought new in the 1950s.
His vinny had covered 420,000 miles and one of the big ends was still original! he was 62 at the time and he told me he was hoping to clock up the half million before he packed in riding, I never did know if he managed it.

Chris
Fascinating. 715,000 miles! I Googled him and found this address
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/2008/08/04/it-s-the-end-of-the-touring-road-for-stuart-84229-21454536/http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/2008/08/04/it-s-the-end-of-the-touring-road-for-stuart-84229-21454536/
A man after my own heart. Encouraging to know that with luck I might get another 15 years with my bikes. I got my first wheels in 1955 aged 12. An NSU Quickly. Lived in Portuguese East Africa (Lourenco Marques) at the time and lots of kids zoomed around on them as there were no age restrictions. Loved that bike. A friend (Mars Monza) and I rode from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth and back in 1957 (500 miles each way). My wife says that my mother had no imagination.
Have had bikes ever since and can't imagine being without.
My TA 700 has only done 5000 km so can't compete with you high mileage guys - yet.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
2 and a bit year old XL700 has done just over 31,000 miles, gotta think about booking the 32,000 mile service now... :(
Usual consumables plus chain and sprockets and the front forks (which were pitted and replaced under warrantee)

·
Registered
897 Posts
Fascinating. 715,000 miles! I Googled him and found this address
Gazette Live - News - Local News - It's the end of the touring road for Stuart
A man after my own heart. Encouraging to know that with luck I might get another 15 years with my bikes. I got my first wheels in 1955 aged 12. An NSU Quickly. Lived in Portuguese East Africa (Lourenco Marques) at the time and lots of kids zoomed around on them as there were no age restrictions. Loved that bike. A friend (Mars Monza) and I rode from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth and back in 1957 (500 miles each way). My wife says that my mother had no imagination.
Have had bikes ever since and can't imagine being without.
My TA 700 has only done 5000 km so can't compete with you high mileage guys - yet.
Thanks for googling him Alistair, should have done myself - if I had not met the man I would be tempted to think this was perhaps a fairy story!
Im'e sure he told me in 1988 that he was 62 years of age that would make him 82 in the year the article was written.
And as Austin said earlier "what a guy what a bike" - he is unbelievable!
Hope you have at least another fifteen years biking to enjoy.

Chris

·
Registered
897 Posts
Thanks Chris
Did you get to ride the Vincent?
No Alistair I did'nt get to ride the vincent don't think I dared to ask him!
Iv'e never ridden a vincent at any time, BUT I can tell you a tale about how I almost became mounted on one ----- it might have been 1973 at the Isle of Man TT, leaving ramsey which is twenty four miles round the course and going up towards the hairpin I came up behind a feller on one of those big vee twins when he realised I was behind him he cracked it open out of the hairpin sounded superb! then into the waterworks which is a double right hander trouble was he got the second bend wrong and anchored all on with that double drum front stopper that the big vin has ---- how I did'nt run into the back of him I don't know to this day but I was sure I was going to be sat on his bike any second!
Just another example I suppose of 1930s design and engineering being superior to 1970s stuff.
I did stay well clear of him for the rest of the course.

Chris

·
Registered
28 Posts
Chris, I am replying to your message in the "Chatter" forum as I will probably be kicked off this forum for straying too far from the subject.
Alistair

·
Womble
180 Posts
2008 TransAlp 700 - 24,500 miles. Mechanically fine, but 2 winters and Honda's reduced build quality have meant lots of bits being replaced under warranty.

If we're sticking with Engine variants, then;

1986 NTV 600 sold with 90,000 miles on the clock - nothing but consumables and a silencer but a grumbly shaft

1996 NTV 650 sold with 80,000 miles on the clock - just consumables and a silencer
Just thought I'd drop back for an update to this....

Just passed 41,000 miles.

Since the warranty expired I've had nothing replaced, outside of standard servicing, it's all just rotting through nicely and will be replaced just before it dropps off. I just added a pair of gaiters to protect the forks with the occasional spray under the rubber with the Scottoiler equivalent of ACF-50. If the forks are pitted to hell again I can't see it..!

·
Registered
33 Posts
K75s 193225 looks a bit tatty but still rides well At m reg 41270 looks good rides well

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
my update, still on the '91 Transalp 600, now with 123,000km (76400miles) still runs sweet as a nut, & at the end of the summer I was following some mates home (nutters all of 'em!) & they reckoned I was running at 176km/h for a bit, which is, according to my haynes manual, just over the given maximum speed for the bike! she never flinched & always runs sweet as a nut!:blob7:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,009 Posts
my update, still on the '91 Transalp 600, now with 123,000km (76400miles) still runs sweet as a nut, & at the end of the summer I was following some mates home (nutters all of 'em!) & they reckoned I was running at 176km/h for a bit, which is, according to my haynes manual, just over the given maximum speed for the bike! she never flinched & always runs sweet as a nut!:blob7:
Quick....Touch some (insert french word for wood here) before you put 'les mockers' on yourself.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts