Honda XRV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
The psych with the bike
225 Posts
2007 xl700 -21000miles but did have 18 months layed up in the garage. 7000 miles since last december tho :D.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,009 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
2005 650 Alp, just coming up to 40,000 miles. 17,000 miles in my ownership with no serious problems - a couple of headlamp bulbs, a clutch cable, two sets of chains/sprockets, 4 or 5 tyres, 1 immobilisation by errant immobiliser (loose wire).

A way to go yet to match the Honda Accord Aerodeck I used to have - 220,000 miles on a few bulbs, one steering bush and two sets of rear door gas struts, still looking and running great at 13 years. Met someone who sold his at 415,000 miles. My local Honda dealeer had a customer with an umpteen years old Civic with 420,000 miles on clock, still on original alternator and various other unlikely bits, and still used to drive from Devon to Liverpool and back once a week!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just seen the following item on the BBC website:
A 93-year-old Florida grandmother has parked her car for good after driving 576,000 miles (927,000km) over 48 years at the wheel of one trusty vehicle.

Rachel Veitch bought her Mercury Comet Caliente for $3,289 in February 1964. It has outlasted three marriages and 18 battery changes, three sets of shock absorbers and eight exhaust mufflers as well as surviving a rear-end collision in 1980, she says. "I've never been a destructive person and I've just taken care of everything, except my husbands." On 9 March she had to give up driving as she has become legally blind.

While Mrs Veitch has clocked more miles than a trip to the moon and back, her car does not hold the record for the most miles travelled.
Irv Gordon entered the Guinness Book of World Records in 1998 with 1.69 million miles on his 1966 Volvo P1800. It is reported that he has now accumulated close to three million miles on the same car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
65000 on my 94 transalp
Picked the bike up with 50000 ish on the clock and no more maintenance than is fair given the bikes age.
Oil changes every 5000, ans it'll be going onto a longer oil filter if it fits as then it shares spares with my big bike.
Just have to regrease the brake pins at each service as they have been neglected at some stage.
Both wheels redone, with plain alloy rims and stainless spokes. Non of that anodising for the corrosion to hide under!
Bikes gonna get a strip down and the frame repainted this summer and then I plan to run it over the clock as it's my main workhorse now after the MZ's latest attempt to kill me in the middle lane of the M1!

·
Registered
356 Posts
60,000 miles on my second 650 I just bought.

Output shaft a little worn. Lots of corrosion.

It's currently getting a service and bearings swap.

I'm about to ship it to South America and maybe ride it home across Russia from USA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Transalp 650 bought new in May 2002 reached recently 112K miles. Has travelled around Europe, been to Tunisia, Turkey (twice), the Balkans and has taken part in many serious trail rides. An Ohlins real shock with remote preload adjuster replaced the original shock at 100K miles, the front has had Hyperpro springs/oil since early in the bike's life. It has needed clutch disks twice, the second time recently, and the only thing that failed was the right radiator which started leaking slightly at 95K miles (but I did 3000 miles or so before replacing it with a used one).

Up to approx. 90K miles it rarely needed topping up oil unless it was thrashed but since then it needs topping up ~300ml / 600 miles when travelling - I typically do 80-90mph.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just went through 73k miles, bought new in 2005, passed its MoT today with no advisories! (although the guy I use is never too hard on bikes.) Just consumables and a couple of minor drops! very slight oil leak on one of the cylinder but I just keep wiping it down and keep it clean.

Alp2.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
2001 650 bought for 50th anniversary of the Stella alpina rally with 25k on the clock, lots of corrosion, worn output shaft (didn't realise at time).
Two Stefter front sprockets later it now has 52k miles on the clock and loads of off road adventure under its belt.
This bike takes everything thrown at it !

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a bit disappointing. I used to have an Africa Twin (RD07A) but a back injury forced me to get rid of it and I thought I get the smaller version in the form of a 700 TA. Seat is better, its lighter and lower and all the reviews said its good for 100K miles and you can cross continents on it.

So I part with the pennies, and get a 2008 TA with two years ago. 18K miles on it and a full Honda service history. Its now done 20K (rehabilitation etc preventing riding it much, always garaged and usually dry miles) and its got a PGMFI fault (posted earlier), the silencer has rotted through, the finish on the wheels is coming off, the fork legs have gone furry after one outing in the rain, the exhaust heat shield rattles like a skeleton having a **** in a biscuit tin, the forks bottom out and are so soft and spongy, the rear suspension is very harsh when you first start riding and then softens up after about 15 mins. Legendary Honda build quality? You could only cross a continent on it if your name was Gulliver and the continent in question was Lilliput, and then you have to push the bloody thing across it.

Compare with my 1980 R65 BMW, its starts, stops and goes round corners. 23K on the clock and it looks better than the TA, you can fix it with duct tape, a teaspoon and cable ties (not that its ever needed it), 250 miles on a tank full instead of 175 and you see them advertised with 80K on the clock.

I would bin the TA for a BMW, except that the dealers are too snooty - "you have a Transalp sir, are you sure a BMW is something you could handle?". Overall, really disappointed with it and wouldn't have another.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I have had all three types of Transalp. Personally I didn't like the 700 version as I found it cramped and I found the suspension a bit harsh.

I don't know if the 700s suffer from more mechanical problems, but the general consensus seems to be that the early 600 models (1986-1997?) that were built in Japan are of better quality.

I know the new style Africa Twin's had a problem with spokes corroding very quickly after they left the showroom

Of course bikes built in the 1980s and 1990s were simpler (so less things to go wrong), and certainly Honda bikes were built better in the 1990s

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had 700 for 3 years now and think it is a decent bike, yes suspension is a bit harsh but it is reliable. I ride it every day rain or shine although mostly around town with an occasional trip to Oxford, Cambridge, South End or the South coast. Mine is 2008 and I bought it with 33 K miles on the clock, she has 47 K on the clock now It too had the stock exhaust replaced with the Delkevich which is more that adequate. It has been looked after and I try and do the same and it has not let me down yet. BMW? No thanks they do nothing for me

41 - 60 of 64 Posts